Hunters & Gatherers

By Just_Shavonne

Set in a world not unlike our own, we encounter two kinds of law enforcement officers: hunters and gatherers... More

Episode 2: Matriculation
Episode 3: Intransigence
Episode 4: Unaccompanied
Episode 5: Compromised
Episode 6: Icarian
Episode 7: Desideratum
Episode 8: Absquatulate

Episode 1: Hunters & Gatherers (PILOT)

387 15 22
By Just_Shavonne

We open on a spacecraft. It's night. Stars illuminate the sky. It's beautiful. Breathtaking even. A spacecraft hovers in the sky. It too, is a beautiful sight to behold. A work of art. A fine show of metalwork and mechanics.

INT. CRAFT

In the front of the craft, dressed and black and silver uniforms. Tight fitting, sleek, impressive. It's a team of five men. Multi-racial, but the most impressive is LUXE, a dark skinned black man with five silver stripes on his right arm. He has a low bald fade haircut. He's in his twenties and even though his uniform is long sleeved, his muscles and form is impressive.

There is a heated argument in progress and the men are pointing the fingers at each other and pointing at a screen above their heads. We look up and see a video playing of the men running through the woods. We see they're part of a sports team of some sorts and they're chasing something. Then two men burst through a clearing and we see LUXE and a team member both reach for a weapon.

LUXE reaches for and retrieves a small ball from his belt he presses a button and throws it at the same time his teammate throws a boomerang. The boomerang misses horribly. The ball explodes and the net captures one man and he falls. The other man grabs the boomerang and picks up speed.

LUXE's face distorts to one of anger as he sideyes the man sitting next to him. At this time we see a badge on his chest.

A burst of laughter and joviality is heard and LUXE's irritation grows. He doesn't turn his head in that direction, however. Instead he stands and touches the screen. A new image pops up on the screen.

A sports announcer/news anchor is seen and heard.

NEWS ANCHOR
The Blue Stars were the favorite going into the match, but they failed to capture two fugitives. I don't know if it was a lack of communication or a case of ego, but they have fallen in ranking and are in danger of not making the next round if they lose the next match. We have to ask ourselves and he has to be asking himself, what is Captain Luxe going to do?

CUT  TO
REAR OF THE CRAFT.

The faint sounds of the BLUE STARS' argument can still be heard as well as the laughter that distracted LUXE. But the two women that are huddled together, with their backs to the noise and the two groups of people aren't worried in the least about what the others have going on.

One woman, ISYS, hair in braids that hang to the middle of her back, tension making her shoulders and body tense holds a device in her hand and she's scrolling through it. Her uniform, all gray, is impeccable, nothing out of place and her eyes  are focused as she scrolls through all of the old articles on the screen.

The second woman, ISSA, her hair in locs, that barely touch the nape of her neck is more relaxed. She's clearly younger than ISYS. She's slouched forward.Her uniformed is wrinkled and unbuttoned. She cares less about her appearance than ISYS. Her elbows resting on her knees as she looks down at the images ISYS' device is projecting.

ISYS
(groans)
This is -

ISSA
I've been getting alerts every two minutes about the Blue Stars and they didn't even win.

ISYS
Are you surprised? They're the hunters and we're just-

ISYS sits back and relaxes for just a second and we see the badge on her uniform. It's the same as LUXE's.

ISYS (continued)
Investigators.

ISSA
We're closers. We closed our case tonight. We solved our case.

ISYS sits up and resumes scrolling through her device.

ISYS
And until we start making the department money like the hunters and have our faces on the screens and the children wanting replicas of us-

ISSA
We're nothing?!

ISYS
We're doing our job.

A look of disdain crosses ISSA's face as she finally lets us know that she is completely aware of the people in the middle of the craft. The rest of their team. Her nostrils flare angrily.

ISSA
We're doing their job, too.

ISYS
[continues to scroll]

ISSA
So, you're okay with that?

ISYS looks up at ISSA and we see her nametape and we also see ISSA's. Their last names "TEMPEST" are the same. Not only are they teammates. They're sisters. Now, their bond and closeness makes sense. It also makes us wonder why they are so isolated from the team.

ISYS
[glances over her shoulder at their team]
You know I'm not, but I'm- You know my situation. Don't make it worse for me-for us.

ISSA
Make it worse for you? They-

ISYS
[taps her device urgently]
(forcefully)
ISSA.

ISSA
Yeah. Let's be the lowly gatherers. Let's gather the information.

ISSA takes out her tablet and digital pen. As ISYS scrolls through the old articles, ISSA takes notes and is seen writing down flow charts and questions. When they come to articles and video archives, they put on headphones. Now, it is blatantly clear that what they're doing is a secret and they don't want their team to know.

ISYS listens intently and ISSA watches her sister's face. The words of the reports mean nothing to her, but it's clear they mean something to ISYS.

When an image appears on ISYS' device, ISYS enlarges the image and makes it 3-D. The image appears in front of the sisters.

ISSA
This was taken at Joren?

ISYS
[nods stiffly]

We don't know who or what Joren is or was, but the sisters do.

ISYS narrows her eyes and leans forward. She's not focused on the man and woman in the forefront of the image. She's instead focused on the young boy in the back, in a cadet-esque uniform.

ISYS leans forward to enlarge the image of the boy, we see four numbers tattooed on her wrist, a year maybe? The top of the paper is shown, the year is the same. She lowers her sleeve quickly, out of habit.

Just as she enlarges the image of the boy, we see a very blurry image of what might be a tattoo on his wrist. The focus is on his wrist when LUXE storms through the image and the sisters in a tantrum.

ISSA groans at his immaturity and a look crosses her face. It's clear she's thinking of saying something, maybe even following him as she rolls her neck.

ISYS
Don't.

ISSA runs her hands through her locs and we see a tattoo on her wrist as well. It's three years AFTER ISYS'. ISYS is older than ISSA. However, their rank is the same.

ISSA
So, Blue Star's golden boy gets to throw a tantrum and nothing happens to him, but if that were us and-

ISYS
It wasn't.

ISSA
But it has been-

ISYS
(sternly)
ISSA!

ISSA
Another perk of being a hunter and another drawback to being a lowly gatherer.

ISYS
(clears her throat)
We're investigators.

ISSA
Officially, well not even officially. I've heard them in the meetings; when they think we're not listening, they call us gatherers.

ISYS
[shrugs]
As long as cases get closed.

ISSA
As long as they get credit for it.

ISYS
I don't do this for credit and fame, ISSA.

ISSA
[sucks her teeth]
I know.

ISYS
What?

ISSA
You outscored all of them

ISSA gestures toward their team members

ISSA (continued)
And they act like you're beneath them. You and me, we, work harder than them on each case, but their names are all up and through the reports. We're a damn footnote at the end-

ISYS
We don't need more trouble, Is.

ISSA
[shakes her head]
You're scared now?

ISYS
There are consequences now.

ISSA
So, there weren't any when you were knocking heads off in the academy?

ISYS
[scoffs]
There were. I just ignored them and they all added up.

ISYS stares at ISSA and then turns her attention back to the device in her hand.

ISSA glowers for a moment. First at her sister and then at the team. It's hard to tell who her anger is directed toward more: her sister or the team. Did her sister betray her more by backing down or did the team betray them by not acknowledging their work?

ISSA
LUXE blew a ten point lead in front of the world-

ISYS
[restarts her tablet and resumes scrolling]
According to my alerts, it was his team

ISSA
He's the leader.

ISYS is uninterested as she searches for the article that was lost when LUXE stormed through.

ISSA
So, I should cuss his team out and blame him.

ISYS replies without looking up from her device.

ISYS
And get five write-ups instead of one?

ISSA
How many would that be for the week?

ISYS
For me? For you? Or for us?

ISSA laughs, but it's a hollow laugh. ISYS smiles, but like ISSA there is no happiness or joy accompanying it. It's as if they know their actions are wrong, but they feel justified. Their actions hurt them, but they're so used to the action, they don't know how to change or they don't want to change.

ISSA
Yeah. I can't do anything to Blue Star's golden boy even though they don't like him right now. They still love him and they don't even know us.

ISYS
And we can't risk a suspension. Not with what we just saw.

ISSA
[nods]
So that was-

Whatever she is about to ask, we'll never know because a loud, boisterous voice from the middle of the craft calls out for "BIG SERGEANT TEMPEST and BABY TEE to join them"

CUT TO
MIDDLE OF CRAFT

There is a round table floating. It is covered in a variety of half eaten food and half-drunk drinks. Some drinks are spilled. Dirty napkins are crinkled everywhere, on the table, the floor, around the six members of the team who are all different races and genders. They are wearing uniforms similar to ISYS  and ISSA. They are gray, but they are in various states of undress. None of them are as sharp and impressive as ISYS. They have all unbuttoned their tops. Some of them have taken them off, but their ranks are seen on the t-shirts underneath and are represented by black insignia. Everyone in the group has rank. The only two without rank are ISYS and ISSA. The loud mouthed slightly out of shaped man, KREED, a 40-something career officer, with a haircut that reaches below the middle of his ear and a stomach that hangs over his belt has his hand on his hip and the other outstretched toward the sisters.

KREED
BIG SERGEANT! You and BABY TEE come and join us!

We see ISYS and ISSA stand and turn around slowly. ISYS fists clench at her side. KREED and the rest of her team can't see this, but ISSA can. We don't know the reason for her anger until-

JAMESON, LATINX military cut, CORPORAL, 21, shirt unbuttoned, just so.

JAMESON
[laughs]
That's not BIG SERGEANT anymore, CAP. That's just BIG TEE and BABY TEE!

The team, KREED included, laughs like JAMESON just told the funniest joke ever. Holding their sides. In the back, the Blue Stars look affronted and have the decency to look away.

ISYS face has grown dangerously dark. Her nostrils are flaring. Her chest is heaving. ISSA grabs her shoulder, but she pulls away. We see a hint of why she gets written up. We also see her tattoo again. She turns away and with a heavy breath, but light feet walks down the hallway.

The laughter dies down and eventually stops. KREED has the nerve to ask ISSA to join them again. She quirks her eyebrow at him asking "really?" He sits down.

ISSA locks eyes with JAMESON and doesn't blink or look away until he does.

ISSA picks up her device and with some clicks and clacks across the screens links her device to ISYS'. She resumes the search.

CUT TO

OUTSIDE of ISYS' BEDROOM

The hallway is sleek, silver. Cameras record everyone's comings and goings. There is a security keypad outside the door to ISYS' bedroom. The hallway is isolated. It is clear that privacy is important and then it is revealed that there is a doorway at the end of the hallway and a door is there with a keypad as well.

ISYS' hands are shaking and the device and her hand is as well. She takes several deep breaths before she is able to put the code in to open her door. The door slides open. She steps in, but then sticks her head out. She looks at the camera.

ISYS
Code 51444
Until unlocked
My voice only

A humming sound is heard and then a soothing mechanical voice is heard. Similar to alexa or siri. It's JACKI. ISYS' AI companion.

JACKI
What about ISSA?

ISYS
Code 51444
Until unlocked
My voice only

JACKI
Confirmed.

As ISYS walks completely into the room, the lights in the hallway turn off as well as the camera.

CUT TO

INT. ISYS' ROOM.

Her room is dimly lit. It is neat, just like her uniform. Her bed is made. Her desk is neat and organized. Books are on the shelf organized by size and color. Holopictures line the walls and are of herself and ISSA throughout their lives. We also see them in secondary school. Then there's a picture of her and a group of students in cadet uniforms identical to the boy. Her eyes scan the room and when she sees the picture, she throws her device at the holopicture.

She is close to tears and she brings her clenched fists to her eyes in an effort to "beat" the tears back.

There is a faint hiss in the background.

Hands cover ISYS' hands tenderly and bring them down to her sides and then turn her around. We see the mystery person. It's LUXE!

LUXE lifts ISYS' chin with one hand and kisses her sensually, gently, passionately and we see her hands start to unclench.

HOURS LATER.

LUXE and ISYS are intertwined in each other and in the sheets in ISYS' bed. They look sated and more relaxed than last time we saw them. They have enjoyed their time together and each other. LUXE kisses ISYS on her bare exposed shoulder hoping to stir her out of the dreamscape she has slipped into.

LUXE
Ice?

ISYS
I-I'm so sorry.

LUXE
Tell me about it.

ISYS
[turns and looks at him]
You already know. Everybody knows.

LUXE
[sighs]
I know about your demotion. I don't know how you feel about it.

ISYS closes her and groans. She thinks about his statement. Should she tell him it feels like being shot in the heart and then having your heart replaced with your stomach and being told you're alive so be grateful?

ISYS
I guess it feels like how you feel after a loss.

LUXE
I got a 24 hour rule. After 24 hours, I don't worry about a loss anymore.

ISYS
Then I guess it's not like that.

LUXE
So...

ISYS
What were your scores? Coming out of academy, what were your scores? I know you know them. You're just that type to know them.

LUXE chuckles not because she's wrong, but because she's right. He sits up with his back against the headboard and then pulls her into his lap. He pulls the sheets around them both.

LUXE
HUNTER-92; GATHERER-89; LAB-78; WHEELS-78. You?

ISYS
Same order as you.
100; 100; 99; 98.
That's how it feels being demoted.

LUXE's face is one of pure shock. He pushes ISYS away from him before he knows what he's doing. Her reflexes are the only thing that keep her from hitting the floor.

ISYS slides off the bed and wraps the sheet around her toga style, unnecessary because they've seen each other naked, but now she feels exposed.

She eyes LUXE warily.

LUXE looks at ISYS like he's never seen her before. Like she's a stranger. He looks around her room. At her holopictures. Her awards from work, few, but all awards for being a gatherer.

LUXE
(stunned)
You're- you're a gatherer.

ISYS is hurt, but is strong enough not to show it.

ISYS
I'm an investigator.

LUXE
No one has ever scored a 100.

ISYS
True.

LUXE
(relieved)
So, you lied?!

ISYS
No. You said "no one."
No one did. I did it and then three years later ISSA did it. So, two people did it.

LUXE
I don't believe you.

ISYS
I know.

LUXE
You-

ISYS
JACKI!

JACKI
Yes?

ISYS
Unlock. Disable 51444. Revoke all of CAPTAIN LUXE HOPKINS' permissions.

LUXE
Ice-

JACKI
DONE

A faint humming can be heard from outside the door.

ISYS
She'll tell you when it's clear to leave. Can't let your team see you leaving here, right?

LUXE
[stands up]
Just- wait.

ISYS
You asked and I told you.

LUXE
Can we talk?

ISYS
Do you believe me?

LUXE
[hangs his head in shame]
I can't.

ISYS
This is what being demoted felt like.
[turns and walks into the bathroom, the door automatically opens for her]

JACKI
CAPTAIN HOPKINS, you have two minutes and fifteen seconds of clearance.

CUT TO
The next afternoon
INT. STUDY/WORK ROOM

It's a glass room, but soundproof. Inside we see ISSA sitting at a table. The image of the boy in 3-D. Headphones in her ears. She's taking notes. JAMESON is at the door knocking, but since the room is soundproof, she doesn't hear him plus the headphones.

She finally looks up. The look on her face lets him know that he is the last person she wants to see.

ISSA shakes her head, but JAMESON makes the begging hands and puppy dog eyes and ISSA finally gets up and walks to the door and lets him in.
They walk back to the tables.

ISSA [sits down]
(with attitude)
What JAMESON?

JAMESON
(tucks his t-shirt into his pants)
I tried to come your way yesterday, but your hall was locked down.

ISSA
That should've been your hint.

JAMESON
I wanted to apologize.

ISSA
For what?

JAMESON
That dig on your sister yesterday.

ISSA
Oh.

JAMESON
"Oh?"

ISSA
My sister? Like she wasn't the one who helped you study when you failed your exam the first and second time. The one who trained you in the academy. The one who gave you money when you didn't have it. The-

JAMESON
I get the point.

ISSA
You don't. Because if you did, you would be apologizing to her in public like you embarrassed her in public. But I guess the past is better left where it's at. Respect the rank and not the person, right, Corporal?

ISSA stands and goes to parade rest.

JAMESON turns red from a mixture of shame & embarrassment.

JAMESON
I get it.

ISSA
Say again, Corporal.

JAMESON
I said I got it.

ISSA
Corporal?

JAMESON
At ease, Tempest.

ISSA
[resumes her seat]
I don't accept apologies for my sister. You know where she is. You know her routine like I do. You just don't wanna get beat up. Bye.

CUT TO

INT. COMBATIVES GYM

Sound of striking and heavy breathing is heard

We see ISYS in workout gear, very similar to the Blue Star's uniform doing complicated hand to hand combat against what looks like real people, they're engaged in brutal combat. She's bleeding. They're trading punches, kicks, using weapons. She's an expert hand to hand fighter. There's a glitch and we see it's just a simulation.

She does a cartwheel kick just as JAMESON steps into the room.

She throws a knife into her "opponent" behind her, effectively neutralizing "them"

ISYS
End simulation
[eyes JAMESON]
(snaps)
What?

JAMESON grabs a towel from the table as a peace offering and walks over to her with it. She snatches it from him and wipes her face with it and then her body.

ISYS
What, JAMESON?

JAMESON
(stutters)
I-I-I-

ISYS throws the towel in his face and fires off with a three piece combo to his face and then backs up and kicks him square in the chest. When he's on the ground gasping for breath, she stands over him.

ISYS
You're forgiven.

JAMESON
[nods]

ISYS
[bends down and helps him up]

CUT TO

ISYS and JAMESON walking down the hallway. She's wiping at her still bleeding nose. He's holding a bag of ice wrapped in a towel up to his face. They stop at the study room and when ISSA sees them she runs out.

The three of them walk down the hall.

ISSA
He-
[points at ISYS]

ISYS
He wishes. Sim man did this.

ISSA
[looks at JAMESON]
But she did that?

JAMESON
[mumbled]
Of course.

ISSA
You need medbay?

ISYS
Who?

ISSA
Him.

JAMESON
Look at this.

JAMESON lifts up his shirt revealing a nasty shoe shaped bruise on his chest.

ISYS shrugs. ISSA laughs, they're almost to the medbay when LUXE comes around the corner.

LUXE looks at all of them, but ISYS the longest. ISYS greets him "CAPTAIN LUXE"

LUXE
Why is your shirt up? Better yet, why is there a foot on your chest?

ISSA
You should ask him whose foot it is.

ISYS
(voice slightly strained)
ISSA, I need you.

ISSA
See you later, JAMESON.

JAMESON
Yeah.

LUXE
Whose foot?

The sisters leave LUXE and JAMESON in the hallway as they continue down the hallway toward what we now recognize as ISYS' hallway.

The strength that was just on display in the combatives room and the happiness in the hallway is nowhere to be found as ISYS is leaning against her doorway.

ISSA says nothing, but puts the code into the keypad.

CUT TO

INT. ISYS' HALLWAY

ISYS is now leaning on ISSA as ISSA walks them down the hall toward ISYS' room.

ISSA
JACKI, 51444, me and ISYS only. Camera off. Mics off. No access. Medical.

JACKI
Understood. In progress.

ISSA
Open the door, JACKI!

JACKI
Opening!

Humming can be heard as well as the hissing that indicates that ISYS' door is opening. The cameras are seen turning off just as ISSA and ISYS make it into the room.

CUT TO

INT. ISYS' ROOM

Gone is the neat room we saw upon first entrance. We don't even see the post-coital room. This room resembles a trauma bay. Cold and clinical. A stretcher has replaced her bed and ISSA heaves ISYS on top of the bed. Her back is to us and ISSA goes to where the desk used to be, but is now a surgeon's table. She finds a pair of surgical shears. She cuts the shirt from ISYS' back. We see multiple keloid scars crisscrossing her back. They seem to be causing her pain as they stretch across her back.

ISYS groans in pain and she grips the edges of the stretcher as the scars appear and spread.

ISYS
[screams]
ISSA!!

ISSA
I'm trying!

ISSA cuts the rest of the uniform from ISYS' body and we see the scars all over the posterior of her body. They're not only whip-like, but burns as well.

ISSA rambles on the medicine cabinet looking for something. ISYS' screams of pain seem to be distracting her and the medicine bottles and ointments fall to the ground.

ISYS arches from the table in extreme pain and ISSA finally sees what's been avoiding her the entire time. She grabs the large needle and the bottle labeled sedative.

ISSA
[draws the sedative up]
I love you, ISYS.

ISYS
(crying)
Do it. Do it.

As she speaks, we see, burns start to form on her hands and arms.

ISSA jabs the needle in the side of ISYS' thigh. Tears in her own eyes.

ISYS' body slowly relaxes.

ISYS' hands relax and we see her tattoo again. Her eyes flutter to the picture of her and the other cadets. Tears escape her eyes. A name falls from her lips.

ISYS
(whispers)
ARLO.

Once ISSA hears soft snores coming from ISYS, she gathers the rest of her needed materials: nanodermis, numbing cream, injectable and adaptable camouflage, antibiotics, and pain meds that helped ISYS get through the day.

ISSA applies it all, carefully and with love.

When she is done, she dresses ISYS and waits.

ISSA
[walks to the far wall of ISYS' room and pulls a calendar from behind the hidden wall. She marks a new date for "change" ; it's only five days from the last one. A three days change from before]

CUT TO
INT CRAFT.
FRONT OF CRAFT.

LUXE and BODHI, his teammate that made the mishap the night before are together going over footage. They have made amends, somewhat.

LUXE
I think you just need to stay on my right instead of my left. And that boomerang is not as good in the woods as it is in other terrain.

BODHI
Your damn net-

LUXE
Was timed perfectly. It hit its target. Your target picked up your weapon and took off with it. The other team picked up the fugitive and your weapon. Posed with both!

BODHI
Whatever!

LUXE
HQ already sent over our next targets.

BODHI
No break, huh?

LUXE
None

BODHI
We're going to refresh and drop the gatherers off and then we're going to the field?

LUXE shakes his head and leans forward. He puts a code in on the keyboard and a file pops up on the screen. BODHI reads it and his expression changes from anticipatory to confused.

BODHI (continued)
This is an active case?

LUXE
We're working with the gatherers.

BODHI
How is that going to work? They don't do what we do.

LUXE
Exactly.

BODHI
Is this supposed to be the change they were talking about last season? They are going to get these people killed.

LUXE
Makes for good ratings.

BODHI (reading)
Two former headmasters at a secondary school?

LUXE
The groundskeeper and captain of the cadet guard

BODHI
Hmm. Exciting.

LUXE
[sits back]
Have you ever heard of somebody getting a perfect score on the hunter exam?

BODHI
physical and academic together?

LUXE
Yeah

BODHI
We barely passed and we're the top tier. Who's better than us?

LUXE
[looks toward ISYS' hallway]
Exactly. None of the other schools either?

BODHI
Just look it up when we get back. You're Captain of the Blue Stars. You ask and you shall receive.

CUT TO
LATER THAT NIGHT
INT ISYS' ROOM
HER ROOM has reverted to its original state. She's seen sleeping in her bed, but not restfully. she's tossing and turning. As she tosses and turns, we see the scars and burns are nowhere to be found.

Sweat is seen forming on her brow. Whatever is haunting her in her mind is strenuous enough to cause a physical reaction.

INSIDE OF ISYS' DREAM

It's hazy, but we see several pairs of bare feet children running hardwood halls. They are wearing the same shorts. The same shirts, white with the words "JOREN SECONDARY." As the children run past a school crest complete with a torch, sword, and whip we see the names on the back of their shirts, "TEMPEST, BAUTISTA, KELLER, and MACEO.

The children come to a fork in the hallway and suddenly the lights go out. Screams are heard and when the lights come on, the only child left in the hallway is ISYS. A door creaks open and she runs toward it.

She runs out the door and her feet strike hot coal. She screams out in pain, but there is nowhere for her to go. She has to cross. She runs across the coal, crying in pain.

In another part of the school, the other children are undergoing their own training.

BAUTISTA is being made to swim with a 50 lb weight on his legs.

KELLER is trapped in a room with the oxygen running out and he has to find the code to open the door.

Figures shrouded in darkness are seen shaking their heads and crossing MACEO's name off the list.

The next time we see the kids they are sitting in a room in the same uniform. T-shirt and shorts, no shoes. They are clearly cold, but none of them say anything. They sit on the bricks and stare straight ahead.

An overhead voice informs them that they may speak to each other.

They simply stare ahead. Neither take the risk.

The tattoo artists come in and set up.

They start the task of tattooing the children.

When they are done the children admire their tattoos.

BAUTISTA
[staring ahead]
I'm ARLO.

KELLER
[staring ahead]
James

ISYS
[staring ahead]
ISYS

The sound of fire whooshing and a gunshot echoes and then a voice can be heard screaming ISYS' name as she jerks awake in the present.

CUT TO

TWO DAYS LATER

ISYS is seen carrying  a backpack on her back as she emerges from her hallway. She looks slightly better, but still bothered. ISSA is waiting for her by the door. Hug and walk toward the craft's bay together.

ISSA (continued)
Did you get the alerts? Or check them?

ISYS (continued)
No.

ISSA (continued)
We have a new case.

ISYS (continued)
That's not news.

ISSA
We-

Before she can finish, JAMESON comes and drapes his arms over both sisters and injects himself between them. ISYS grimaces at this, but says nothing.

JAMESON
I hope they get my good side when we're on camera.

ISYS
What?

JAMESON
[smiles]
Our case. We're working with the hunters.

ISYS
What do you mean?
[ducks from under his arm]
Working with them?

ISSA
It's an open case

JAMESON
And they're staying on our ship

ISYS
[growing aggravated]
I'm not understanding.

JAMESON
It's-

ISYS
[through clenched teeth]
JAMESON, you need to walk away from me. Right now.

ISSA
ISYS?

JAMESON looks at ISYS with concern, but ISSA waves him off.

ISSA
Can you go to the other bay?

JAMESON
Is she okay?

ISSA
I got her.

ISYS throws her bag down and then picks it back up as they walk into the bay. She stands on the transportation circle.

ISSA
What's wrong with you?

ISYS
(angrily)
There are only three open cases in our department. Two that we could work with the hunters. One that could be used for competition. That's my problem!

ISSA
I don't-

ISYS
(to computer)
Transport to home of ISYS TEMPEST IMMEDIATELY NO DELAYS!

COMPUTER
DONE!

A flash of light envelops the room and when it's gone, so is ISYS. ISSA huffs and when she turns around, LUXE is standing behind her holding his bags in his hands. He gives ISSA a bewildered look.

LUXE
After you?

ISSA
[looks at the transport pad her sister left from and back to LUXE]
Ridiculous.

LUXE
Excuse me?

ISSA
Nothing. Sister stuff.

LUXE
Sister?

ISSA
[rolls eyes]
Should we be expecting our information and mission details to come from you, CAPTAIN?

LUXE
She's your sister?

ISSA
It's in our files you'll no doubt look up once you realize who's on your team. Now my question.

LUXE
Uh-yeah. It'll come from me. Only twelve hours of downtime, so she's needs to get over-

ISSA sneers at LUXE's choice of words.

ISSA
We'll be back on OUR ship on time, CAPTAIN. Regardless of what you read, just know we know how to do our job. Yours, too.

ISSA walks over to the transport pad and steps on it.

ISSA
(to computer)
Home of ISSA TEMPEST IMMEDIATELY. NO DELAYS!

A flash of light envelopes ISSA and she disappears just like ISYS.

LUXE hesitates, but then walks to the transport and makes the same demand of the computer, but to his home.

CUT TO
EXT. ISYS' HOME
LUXE is standing outside of her home.
There is a keypad on the outside of the door as well as a camera. He pulls his hood over his head and puts his code in. To his surprise, it still works, and the door opens.

INT. ISYS' house.

ISYS is standing in the middle of her living room staring at him.

ISYS
I was just about to revoke your access.

LUXE
I figured. I just wanted to check on you. I haven't seen you in two days and we've been on the same ship, less than 300 feet away from each other.

ISYS
(scoffs)
Would you believe me if I told you how I was feeling anyway?

LUXE
[rubs his head]
I-

ISYS
I scanned the notes. Twelve hours of downtime. Back on the ship at 0400. I'll be there at 0200. Briefed and ready to go.

LUXE
I don't doubt it.

ISYS
So, why are you here?

LUXE
There's a holopicture of you in a cadet uniform at Joren. I've seen it in your room.

ISYS keeps a stale face.

LUXE
The case-

ISYS
I don't know what holopicture you're referring to, CAPTAIN LUXE.

LUXE
I've seen it in your room multiple times.

ISYS
When were you in my room, sir?

LUXE
(perplexed)
When- When was I- What are you-
Ice-

ISYS
I'll review the notes that were sent over while I was recuperating from a taxing combatives session and get back to you once I report at 0200 hours, sir.

LUXE
[growls]
Is that how we're playing this?

ISYS
[folds her arms across her chest]
This?

ISYS crosses the room until she is directly in front of LUXE. The tension between them is thick.

LUXE
This is my job, ISYS.

ISYS
That's the problem with us, LUXE. It's always been your job. This is my life.

CUT TO
ISYS and ISSA walking toward the teleportation bay together.

Flashback

ARLO, JAMES, and ISYS are sitting in class taking notes on war and biology. When a grenade rolls into the class. The other students laugh and think it's a dummy grenade, but they know better. They react.

ARLO jumps on the grenade.

JAMES pushes the teacher out of the way.

ISYS pushes her classmates back.

There is a small click but no boom.

ARLO, JAMES, and ISYS are in the cafeteria with the other children, but they're not eating. Their trays are empty and they are simply staring at the clock. Circles under their eyes indicate they've been awake for a while. The other children try to engage them in conversation, but to no avail.

Later that night, the three of them are given a rope, a knife, and materials to start a fire and are released into the woods.

They are feral like as they hunt, stalk, and kill deer, bears, and other animals they come across. The figures watching them record their progress.

CUT TO
INT. CRAFT

The hunters and gatherers are all together taking notes around a large screen as LUXE presents the case to them. JOREN secondary school appears on the school. ISYS looks down at her device as pictures flash on the screen. ISSA looks up at the screen, but it's clear she doesn't recognize any of the faces.

LUXE
They're all suspected of the illegal activities at the school to include treason, extortion, and they are suspects in the disappearance of three students.

ISYS looks up and locks eyes with LUXE. She stands up and pulls her sleeve down covering her tattoo.

END EPISODE

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

762 167 45
In the near future, humans have colonized Mars, joined pirates in space, and divided Earth into two vastly different nations: The United Empires and...
6.7K 1K 37
❖ Interstellar pilot and ex-adventurer Alex Gallegos must keep their team safe on an icy moon as sentient storms threaten to repeat the tragedy that...
The Return By Nenny May

Mystery / Thriller

6.6K 905 68
WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST PAPERBACK PUBLISHED ON AMAZON $17.99 A body is uncovered in an empty classroom at Lincoln Lane Prep, West Jackson Boulevard...
Saxifrage Fire By Emmitt

Science Fiction

998 129 38
Love, hate, fear; these are only words to Alethea Atlas. Born a prodigy among Sera Society, she's neurologically modified to feel nothing. But when...