The life of Eve De La Cruz

By Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Sixteen

329 10 0
By Lilith_Deckerstar

Christmas 1919

It was Christmas time at Downton Abbey. The tree had been put up and decorated by everyone. It was present time in the grand hall when the staff would receive gifts from the family. One by one, they each received their presents as they stepped forward.

"Anna, this is for you," Mary handed her two presents, "The usual cloth for a frock. I'm afraid. But I hope you like the other thing."

"I'm sure I will, Milady. Thank you," Anna said

"We all prayed for him in church this morning," Cora informed her.

"Happy Christmas, Anna," Robert said as she walked back next to Mrs. Hughes.

"I can't wait for you to open this," Cora said as she handed Mrs. Patmore her present.

"Thank you, Your Ladyship."

"Happy Christmas."

Later on that day, during luncheon, it was time to give presents in the library to the family. Hera was wearing a new lavender color collar that Eve had gotten her. Eve petted Hera's head before she opened the gift she had gotten from her aunt.

"Why do we have to help ourselves at luncheon?" Richard asked.

"It's a Downton tradition. They have their feast at lunchtime, and we have ours in the evening," Robert explained.

"Why can't they have their lunch early and then serve us?" He asked.

"Because it's Christmas Day," Mary told him.

"It's not how we'll do it at Haxby," Richard said.

"Which I can easily believe," Violet chuckled. She opened her present from Isobel. It was a nutcracker, but Violet did not know what it was, "Oh, this is nice. What is it?"

"What does it look like?" Isobel asked her.

"Something for getting stones out of horses' hooves."

"It's a nutcracker," She told Violet, "We thought you'd like it. To crack your nuts."

"Who's coming on New Year's Day?" Edith asked.

"The usual guns. Us three and some locals. You'll know all of them," Robert replied.

"Have you asked Anthony Strallan?"

"I tried. I gave him three dates, but he said no to all of them. Perhaps he's given it up.

"But he was so keen before the war."

"Perhaps he's had enough banging for one life," Violet suggested.

"Oh, and Rosamund's forced me to invite Lord Hepworth," Robert mentioned.

"Really?"

"I told him I was coming down here, and he dropped hint after hint!" Rosamund informed her mother.

"Perhaps he has nowhere to go. It can be a lonely time of year," Cora suggested.

"Jinx Hepworth lonely? I find that hard to believe. Hepworth men don't go in for loneliness much," Violet said.

"How do you know him?" Robert asked.

"I knew his father in the late sixties," She replied, "Mais ou sont les neiges d'antan?"

At that moment, Mr. Carson came into the library.

"Excuse me, Milord, but could you spare a moment?" Mr. Carson asked.

"Of course," Robert replied before walking toward Mr. Carson, "What is it?"

"There is a man here who claims to know Miss Eve, Milord," He informed, "What should I do with him?"

"Let me see him."

"Very well, Milord," Mr. Carson then led Robert out of the library and to the grand hall where the man stood in front of the Christmas tree admiring it.

"Can I help you?" Robert asked. The man turned around and approached Robert.

"Yes, I am here to see Matron Eve De La Cruz," He replied.

"May I ask who you are?"

"My apologies, sir. I am Emilio Luca De Santis," He answered.

"And how did you know my niece?"

"I was a soldier in the war. When I was injured, I was sent to the base hospital where she worked. She told me the day I was shipped back home to visit her."

"But why didn't you sooner?"

"My parents kept me under lock and key when I returned home with my being their only child. After I was healed, I tried coming over, but the Spanish flu prevented me. So, once the travel bands were lifted, I got the first boat here," Emilio explained.

"How exactly did you find out where my niece lives?"

"She told me that she worked at the Downton Cottage Hospital. I went there, but Dr. Blake said that she has not worked there in a long time, and he told me where to find her."

"And why did you want to find her?"

"Because I want to see her. Please just let me see her," Emilio pleaded.

"I don't know if she'll recognize you. The reason Eve returned home was she had gotten amnesia and had no memories of her life," Robert informed him.

"Then I suppose there will be no harm in me talking to her," He said.

"No, I suppose not. Follow me," Robert walked back into the library with Emilio behind him. Everyone's attention went to the stranger, and they went quiet.

"Everyone this is Emilio Luca De Santis," Robert introduced, "He knew Eve during the war."

Emilio's eyes went to Eve, and walk over to her, "It is a pleasure to see you again, Matron De La Cruz."

"I'm afraid I do not remember much of what happened during the war, but it is good to see you, Mr. De Santis," Eve said.

"You have no memory of anything during the war?" Emilio asked her.

"No, I'm afraid not. I got a rather nasty bump on the head, and that caused me to have amnesia. I'm sorry if that disappoints you," She apologized.

"No, you don't need to apologize for it," Emilio's eyes became saddened, "I just wanted to fulfill the promise we made before I was shipped home."

"And what was that?"

"To return this to you," Emilio pulled out a satin drawstring bag and gave it to Eve before leaving, "Addio, Principessa."

Eve opened the drawstring bag and pulled out a silver cross necklace. As Eve examined the necklace in her hand, she felt the memories she had lost return to her. She looked up and raced out of the library to catch Emilio.

He was leaving the grand hall when she called his name, "Emilio!" He stops and turns to her, "I remember."

"Oh, Principessa," Emilio smiled before he ran up to her. He picked her up and spun around with her in his arms. Eve laughed as she was spun around by Emilio. When Emilio put her down, he hugged Eve and whispered, "I missed you."

"I missed you too."

After the two return to the library, Mr. Carson calls on Dr. Clarkson to check on Eve. After the examination, Eve then told everyone what had happened.

"I had given Emilio my cross necklace before he returned home. I suppose when I saw it again, it acted as a trigger," Eve said.

"She is right," Dr. Clarkson agreed, "There have been cases where memories are restored by familiar objects, smells, or places. Now, not every single memory has been restored right away. It will take time for them to return, but rest assured your memories will come back, milady."

"Thank you, Dr. Clarkson."

"Your welcome, Milady," He replied before leaving the library.

"I suppose we should thank you for bringing back our niece's memories, Mr. De Santis," Cora said.

"It wa nothing, Lady Grantham. I was just keeping my promise to her," Emilio told her.

"Emilio, I was wondering if perhaps we could spend the day together," Eve suggested.

Emilio smiled, "I would love that."

"Where are you staying?"

"I'm staying at an inn at Ripon," He answered, "But I don't know how long I'll be staying because my mother would have probably sent a search party for me and have me sent home."

"Come by New Year's Eve. I still have time before Dr. Clarkson allows me to return to work, so perhaps we can spend the day together," Eve suggested.

"As you wish, Principessa," Emilio took her hand and kissed it before leaving Downton.

That evening at dinner, the Christmas pudding is brought into the room. Everyone expressed their joy for the dish.

"Sybil's favorite," Eve said.

Eve, Mary, and Edith smiled in memory of Sybil and that Eve's memories had returned.

The pudding was placed before Violet, "A happy Christmas to us all."

"Happy Christmas!" Everyone cheered as she sliced into the pudding.

"Don't forget to make a wish," Edith reminded her grandmother.

"Let's all make a wish," Robert announced.

"A wish and a prayer," Mary added.

"Is this about Bates again?" Richard asked.

"My new maid says the servants' hall is full of it. How terrible it is," Rosamund said.

"We mustn't lose faith. He's been wrongly accused," Matthew said.

"I'm sure you hope so," Richard rebutted.

"We know so," Isobel defended.

"How has Mr. Murray managed to have the trial held in York?" He asked.

"I don't know, but thank God he has," Robert replied.

"And he's confident?"

"He seems to be," Cora replied.

"Lawyers are always confident before the verdict. It's only afterward they share their doubts," Violet said.

Later on, after dinner, they were all playing charades in the grand hall, another Downton tradition. Mary was first. She opens her hands as if she was reading a book.

"You're reading," Edith said.

"For heavens' sakes, yes, I'm reading. It's a book title," Mary sighed.

"No talking," Robert teased.

"I know, but honestly!" Mary holds up five fingers.

"Five words," The group chorused. Mary holds up four, "Fourth word," Two fingers, "Two syllables," One finger, "First syllable."

Mary began acting out, banging her head, and guesses were flying around, "Fighting! Banging! Um, Drum! Shake! Mad! Trip! Ooh! Fall past."

"Fell! Wildfell! The Tenant Of Wildfell Hall!" Isobel shouted. Everyone applauded her, and Isis and Hera barked in excitement. Eve called Hera to her, and she obeyed. Eve began to pet her head to calm her down.

"Richard, your turn. Come on," Cora called.

"This should be interesting," Eve said to Edith.

Days had passed, and it was now New Year's Eve, and it was that day Eve was spending with Emilio. Eve stared at herself in the vanity as Anna was helping her with her hair.

"Is something the matter, Milady?" Anna asked.

"No, I'm just nervous. My heart would flutter when I saw Emilio at the base hospital," Eve replied.

"It would appear that you are in love, Milady," She said.

"I suppose I am," Eve smiled.

"What do you have planned for today, Milady?"

"I want to give him a tour of the village, and then I suppose we could get something to eat," She replied.

"That sounds lovely," Anna commented.

"Thank you, Anna."

"There all done. You look beautiful, Milady."

"Thank you, Anna. And tell Mr. Bates that we are praying for him and that we know that he will be freed."

"I will, Milady."

Eve left her room and walked down the stairs. She grew more nervous with each step she took. Eve then saw Emilio standing by the tree, and their eyes met. They walk toward one another.

"You look beautiful," Emilio told her.

"Thank you," Eve said, "You look handsome."

"Thank you. What do you have in store for us today?" He asked as they walked toward the front door.

"I was thinking I could give you a tour of the village and maybe some lunch," She replied.

"That sounds wonderful."

Eve showed Emilio the village she had grown up in. She told him the history of the village and funny stories that her uncle had told her when she was young. The two then decided to take a break for lunch and grabbed some food before sitting down in a field to have a little picnic.

"I've told you about me, but I do not believe that I've heard about you," Eve said.

"Well, what would you like to know?" Emilio asked.

"You've spoken of your parents a bit. Tell me more about them."

"My mother is Italian, and my father is a Spaniard, as you already know. My father is a politician, and my mother is the daughter of a politician. They met in America at a party, and my grandparents encouraged them to be together, then they got married."

"That sounds quite romantic," Eve commented, "Do you have the intention of going into politics?"

"I have thought about doing something other than politics, but it's all I've ever known," Emilio answered, "I wouldn't mind being a politician. A lot of important things are decided by politicians. Things that can help people, and that's what I want to do. I suppose it's the same with you being a nurse."

"That is true," She said.

"I must thank you for our time together, Principessa. I had told my parents where I am, but they made me promise them that I have to return home by New Year's Day," He informed her, "Perhaps after New Year's we can go to Ripon? I went to this restaurant there and I want to give you lunch."

"I would love that," Eve smiled, "Dr. Clarkson said I can return to the hospital a week after New Year's. And I want to invite you to the Servant's ball. I will send you an invitation. "

"I would be honored, Principessa," Emilio took her hand and kissed it.

The two returned to Downton Abbey and said their goodbyes before Emilio left to return home.

That night, everyone gathered in the drawing room to welcome the New Year.

"Not long now. Does everyone have a glass?" Robert asked.

"Eve, how was your day with Mr. Santis?" Mary asked.

"It was quite fun," She replied, "We plan to spend time together after New Year's."

"What do you know of this, Mr. Santis?" Richard inquired.

"I met Emilio during the war. He was brought to the base hospital where I worked. He was a Captain in the American Army. We talked about our lives, families, hobbies, and everything that we could think of," Eve answered.

"Are you not worried that he is lying to you about everything he is and is trying to con you?"

"No," She replied sternly, "Because I know a good and decent human being when I see one. And I am not looking at one right now.

Eve walked away from Richard and Mary and over to Edith, Rosamund, and Violet.

"Oh, here we go," Robert announced. The clock chimes, signaling the new year has arrived.

"Happy new year!" Everyone cheered.

"Happy new year, Mama," Robert said.

"1920!" Violet chuckled, "Is it to be believed?! I feel as old as Methuselah!"

"But so much prettier."

"When I think what the last ten years has brought, God knows what we're in for now."

"Well, we must make the best of what is to come," Eve said.

While everyone was going on the hunt, Eve stayed behind and helped everyone downstairs in the kitchen.

"I can't thank you enough for doing this, Milady," Daisy said.

"You don't have to, Daisy," Eve replied, "It's just like old times."

"Daisy, you've got a visitor," Mrs. Hughes walked into the Kitchen with Mr. Mason behind her.

"I were visiting the grave. I thought to myself, 'Why not go and see her now?' Take William's blessing with me," Mrs. Mason said.

"Why not go and sit for a moment in the servants' hall?" Mrs. Patmore suggested We're sending out the shooting lunch. As soon as we've finished, Daisy can bring you a cup of tea. You won't mind, will you, Mrs. Hughes?"

"Indeed I will not. This way," Mrs. Hughes replied, and she led Mr. Mason to the servant's hall.

"Well, he's here now. So I think I should make things clear," Daisy said.

"Don't, Daisy, please. William wouldn't thank you for it," Mrs. Patmore told her.

"He won't thank me for bamboozling his old dad either."

Later on, while Daisy talks to Mr. Mason in the servant's hall, Mrs. Patmore and Eve listen in.

"I'd like you to know the place he grew up. He always wanted to work with animals. Horse, really. But his mother saw him as a butler. Lording it over a great house," Mr. Mason said.

"He loved you both so much," Daisy said.

"I'm only grateful his mother went first," He sighed, "She couldn't have borne it."

"No, but she would have had to face it, wouldn't she, like you? We all have to face the truth, don't we?"

"We do, lass," He replied to Daisy, "Hard as it may be."

"Because I want to tell you the truth. William and me were friends for a long time before we started to feel something more," Daisy confessed.

"That's always the best way, isn't it? To know that there's friendship as well as passion," Mr. Mason said.

"Yes, but you see, I didn't. I didn't feel the love so soon. So I'm afraid I wasted some of the time we could have spent together," She told him.

"No, you didn't, Daisy. You gave him the thrill of the chase. He talked of nothing but you from dawn till the cows came home! And when he saw you felt the same, well, the pleasure was all the sweeter the waiting. I promise you."

"Good."

"So when are you going to come to the farm?" Mr. Mason asked.

"I'll let you know," She replied, "Shall I get you some more hot water?"

Daisy picked up the kettle and walked out of the servant's hall.

"More lies," Daisy said to Mrs. Patmore and Eve.

"Were they?" Mrs. Patmore asked.

It was the day of Mr. Bates's trial, and Miss O'Brien was first to take the stand and give her testimony.

"As far as I could make out, he was talking to his lawyer. He seemed to be blaming his wife for canceling the divorce," Miss O'Brien said.

"You heard this yourself?" The Prosecutor asked.

"I wasn't eavesdropping. He was speaking loudly," Miss O'Brien told him, "But I don't think you can blame him."

"Just answer the questions, please, Miss O'Brien."

"When John Bates returned from London on his final visit to Mrs. Bates, did you notice anything about his appearance?"

"He had a scratch on his cheek. But he might have got that..."

"I believe the maid, Anna Smith," The Prosecutor interrupted, "Asked him how the meeting had gone."

"Well, she and he were-"

"And how did he answer?" He asked.

"He said it had been worse than she could possibly imagine," Miss O'Brien replied.

Mrs. Hughes was next to take the stand and give her testimony.

"And what did he call her?" He asked Mrs. Hughes.

"I shouldn't have been listening in the first place. I had no right to be there," Mrs. Hughes said.

"But you were listening, Mrs. Hughes. So please tell us what he called her when he grew angry."

"He said she was a bitch," She answered.

"Did it sound as if he threatened to strike her?"

"But what people say in an argument-"

"Did he threaten to strike her?" The Prosecutor repeated.

"I'm afraid he did, yes," Mrs. Hughes replied.

During recess, Murray talked to everyone as he tried to ease their nerves and give them some hope.

"Every case looks as black as night by the time the prosecution has finished. We've heard nothing in Bates's defense yet," He reassured.

I can't believe Mrs. Hughes would say those things," Anna voiced, "Miss O'Brien maybe, but not Mrs. Hughes."

"It's difficult to lie on oath. Few of us can manage it," Isobel explained.

"She looked as if she were in hell," Mary added.

"It does sound worse than I expected," Robert said.

"It's a great pity he didn't speak up about buying the poison," Matthew stated.

"I told him to. I begged him to," Anna replied.

"He should have listened," Murray said.

"Then it's down to me to convince them that this crime is simply not in Bates's character," Robert confidently said.

The trail continued and it was now Robert's turn to take the stand.

"So you have no doubt at all?" The Defense questioned.

"None whatsoever," Robert stated, "We served in the African war. And I owe my life to John Bates, who acted to protect me without any care for his own safety. Is this a man who could plot to kill his wife? Absolutely not."

"Lord Grantham. Did John Bates ever speak to you about his wife?" The Prosecutor asked.

"Not that I recall."

"Never? He never once spoke one word of this wife who'd prevented all his dreams from coming true?"

"Well You know, one talks about this and that."

"Did he give you the impression he was losing patience with Mrs. Bates? Around the time she had prevented the divorce? Were you aware that he was angry at what had happened?"

"I suppose so."

"Did he ask permission to travel to London to see her that last time?"

"I believe he did.

"And did you recommend restraint in his dealings with his wife?"

"I don't think so."

"You're absolutely sure?"

"Well, perhaps I may have done."

"You did, Lord Grantham. Mr. Bates has, in his interviews, stated that you prescribed discretion. His case is that he followed your advice. But I wonder why the defense has chosen not to refer to this."

"I can't tell you. No."

"And was there one statement of his that prompted you to advise him to moderate his behavior?"

"I can't remember. Not precisely."

"Give us an approximate."

"I must urge that the witness gives an answer," The Judge urged Robert, who was hesitating to speak.

"I said I hoped his trip to London was to do with some property he owned. And not to do with the former Mrs. Bates."

"And how did he answer? "

"He said," Robert began, "He said, 'If only she was the former. Or better still, the late. '"

What Robert had said had caused some commotion in the room. After some time, the jury returned with their verdict.

"Are you all agreed?" The Judge asked.

"We are, My Lord," The Foreman answered.

"The prisoner will stand. Do you find the prisoner to be guilty or not guilty as charged?"

"Guilty, My Lord," He replied. Anna screams in shock when she hears the verdict, and Eve tries to comfort her.

"John Bates, you have been found guilty of the charge of wilful murder. You will be taken from here to a place of execution. Where you will be hanged by the neck until you are dead. And may God have mercy upon your soul," The Judge said.

"No! This is wrong! This is terribly, terribly wrong!" Anna cried.

"Take him down."

After the verdict, while Mrs. Hughes and Miss O'Brien returned home, everyone else went to an Inn.

"Do sit down, Anna," Mary said as they sat at a table. Anna nodded her head and took a seat next to Mary.

"You mustn't think that this is the end," Isobel told Anna.

"For the judge to pronounce a death sentence is a matter of routine," Murray informed Anna.

"Routine?" She questioned, looking confused.

"He means the judge had no choice," Matthew informed, "If a man is found guilty of murder, he must be sentenced to death. But there are many reasons for it to be commuted. Many reasons."

"Is being innocent one of them?" Anna asked.

"We have to work to change the sentence to life imprisonment," Murray said.

"Life imprisonment?" She repeated.

"Because it won't demand a retrial or an overthrow of the Crown's case. Once we have that, we can begin to build a challenge to the verdict," Matthew explained.

"Do you understand?" Mary asked.

"Yes, m'lady, I do," Anna replied.

"I still can't believe it," Robert spoke.

"I'm afraid you must," Isobel told him.

"We'll need you to write a letter to the Home Secretary, Mr. Shortt," Matthew said to Murray.

"I'll leave for London at once and put it into his hand myself," Murray responded.

"He's a Liberal, isn't he? Pity," Robert voiced.

"He's a decent man," Isobel said.

"The flaw in their case is the question of premeditation. Even if Mr. Bates had run to the cellar for the poison and pushed it into her food, we can argue strongly he didn't plan it," Murray said.

"He didn't plan it because he didn't do it," Anna said.

"And we'll stress the circumstantial nature of the evidence. There may still be elements that come to light," Matthew added.

"What chance do you think we have?" Anna asked Murray.

"It's not a good chance, Mrs. Bates," He confessed, "But there's still a chance."

Eve took Anna's hand and said, "Don't worry, Anna. Mr. Bates will be set free. We just need to have faith."

The next night, everyone was outside searching for Isis, who had gone missing earlier that day.

"Isis! Come here, girl! Isis!" Robert called.

"Poor Papa. I wonder if she's been stolen," Mary voiced.

"What a horrid thought," Edith said in agreement.

"We mustn't think that," Eve said, "We need to have hope. I do hope she's alright. I would be out of my mind if any happened to Hera."

"I'm afraid we'll have to call it a night! But remember, there's £10 for anyone who finds her tomorrow! For now, thank you all very much," Robert told everyone.

"Poor Papa. It's terrible for you," Mary said to her father.

"She may turn up. She may be trapped somewhere. We could still find her," Robert said with hope.

It was the morning that Sir Richard had left. Iris had been found and brought back to Downton before he left. Not long after Sir Richard left, everyone had been called into the library. It was about Mr. Bates' sentence.

"The Home Secretary finds that many details call into question the case for premeditation. The point is, he will not hang," Robert explained.

"But it's still life imprisonment," Anna murmured.

"Don't dwell on that. Not now. It's life, not death," Mary comforted, "That's all we need to think about."

"We have a task ahead of us, it's true. Bates will live, and he is innocent. In time, we'll prove it, and he will be free," Robert said.

"I must go and see him. Today. They'll let me, won't they?" Anna asked.

"I can't believe they won't. I'll get Pratt to run you into York."

The Servant's ball went ahead that night. Eve was talking to Daisy about Mr. Mason when Mr. Carson approached them.

"Excuse me, Milady, but Mr. De Santis has arrived, " He informed her.

"Thank you, Mr. Carson," Eve walked toward Emilio.

Emilio was standing on the sidelines and watched everyone dancing. His attention shifted when he saw Eve walking toward him, and they smiled at each other.

"I am so glad you could make it," Eve said.

Emilio took Eve's hand before he kissed it, "I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here. May I have the honor of this dance, Principessa?"

"You may."

The two went out onto the dancefloor and joined the others. They danced to the music and never took their eyes off each other.

"I must apologize if I step on your toes. It has been a while since I danced," Emilio said.

"Well, you are doing marvelously so far," Eve commented.

"Coming from you, Principessa, I am honored by your words."

The two continued their conversation and their dance. They danced with no one but each other. Cora smiled at her niece as she danced with Emilio and knew her parents were happy for her. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 220 56
what happens when all the queens revive in the 21st century? will they find a home? will they find their kids? will henry come back? who knows "Peopl...
94.6K 1.6K 33
𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 the second eldest Crawley sister navigates life at Downton when a new heir arrives ⇥ matthew crawley x margaret crawley (oc...
2.8K 71 11
Continuation of Downton Abbey, the life of the third daughter (OC) of Robert and Cora Crawley. MUST READ SEASON 1,2,3 BEFORE READING THIS TO CATCH U...
12.1K 264 13
World War One has now occured and Lady Emma Crawley must either sink or swim in this troubled, dark times. Since the Garden Party in 1914, Emma must...