An Ancient Bond.

By InuVampireChan

Link breaks the Sheikah slate and following Impa's guidance seeks out the advice of one of his ancestors. More

Prologue.
Zora's Domain.
Divine Beast Vah Ruta.
Vah Medoh.
Great Forest of Hyrule.
Death Mountain.
Vah Rudania
Well Deserved Rest
Gerudo Desert
Yiga Clan Hideout
Vah Naboris
Interlude
Forever.

Travel.

50 1 0
By InuVampireChan

   They awoke in the morning and sat near the cooking pot fire beside the inn. Sheik made breakfast and Link cooked some food for traveling. They needed more supplies before heading to the Goron's so Sheik thought they could head down to Hateno Village and find the tower to activate that portion of the map before heading up to Death Mountain.

   As they were alone Link looked up to Sheik and slowly pressed his lips together before speaking. "Yesterday, your question to the King…"

   "Princess Ruto was one of the Sage's. I was curious if anything changed but it was just as I thought. When the Hero reset time the Sage's were forgotten by those who couldn't remember the other time. So, to fill the blanks in their memories, they were told they died. At least, I assume." He threw another log on the fire. "When I woke up one of the Sheikah, the few that still existed before Ganon killed us all, told me my mother died. Just like that. As if they were suddenly given the information. It was weird, especially since I knew the truth."

   "Is that when you went to her?"

   Sheik shook his head. "The Shadow Temple is usually a rite of passage for our people. It tells a part of our history after all. We train, sometimes even in there, but you need to reach a certain age. Besides, if the Goddesses didn't approve I wouldn't be allowed to do what I did. So I trained first, for a few years, and then I sought her out. I think she knew I was coming for a while."

   If what he understood of the Sage's were true that wouldn't surprise him. "How old were you?"

   "Sixteen." That was still way too young in Link's opinion. "I wanted to do it quickly before the Princess grew too old or before the King demanded I work in the Castle. I went to the Shadow Temple, to the very end of it, sat in the room there and prayed."

   "Prayed?" Link blinked and frowned at Sheik.

   "You can't just enter the Sacred Realm, and you can't just become a sage. You need the approval of the Goddesses." He shrugged and looked to Link. "I fully intended to die there if they ignored me."

   It didn't surprise Link but the direct admission was still startling. "So they answered then, I assume?"

   He nodded slowly and stood from the fire. "And so they answered. What's the quickest place we can get to, to reach Hateno?"

   Link grabbed the Sheikah slate and pulled up the map. "Hmm, Dueling Peaks Stable. From there it's about half a days travel?" Sheik nodded and moved to grasp Link's arm. He pulled the shrine up on the map, clicked it and then let the magic absorb the both of them. They appeared on top of the teleport spot and Sheik stepped away, looking to Link.

   "So, eventually I want to take you somewhere but I don't think you're ready quite yet. Eventually though, we should make a detour somewhere." Link nodded a bit confused but honestly he'd follow Sheik just about anywhere. The amount of trust he had in the man was quite deep. Was this why it was so easy for the Hero of Time to call him his friend and follow his vague directions?

   They walked around the shrine to the edge of the stables, the building being right before the large open field. Link tugged on Sheik's arm to get his attention and pointed to the tower in the distance. They could make their way there and get another map added to the Sheikah slate. "We should be careful though this field has a few active guardians. And not the tiny guardians." Sheik nodded and together they headed toward the stables. "I could get my horse from them, it'll be quicker."

   He was aware of the answer before Sheik even spoke. His expression gave away the great displeasure he had at that idea. "I'm fine with walking." Link would have really liked to look more into that but Sheik was already ten paces ahead of him and walking into the field. Shaking his head he rushed to catch up with Sheik

   The field broke into a forest and they followed the path inside it. It had taken them much longer than it normally did for him and Link would have to get Sheik on a horse at some point, it would make their lives a lot easier. He wondered if Sheik's hatred of horses was for the same reason he detested the paraglider. Horses were better than a paraglider though, he could show him or he could even ride with Link. They'd try next time and he'd start him slow. Link was pretty sure he was considered a decent rider, so Sheik would be safe with him. So long as Sheik trusted him.

   He did, right? Link trusted Sheik. Surely after all of this, the feeling was mutual.

   "Link, up ahead, there's a person."

   He turned his gaze in the direction that Sheik pointed him to and blinked. Indeed there was a person, a girl, and she seemed to be crying. Sheik stopped in front of her and waved to catch her attention. "Are you alright?"

   She sobbed and hiccuped, rubbing her red and swollen face. "I--I need--"

   Link blinked and had a sinking feeling in his gut. This was familiar. "Need what?" He prompted, reaching for his sword.

   "I need--roasted salmon!" Shit. She picked her head up and grinned a rotten look. "And the Hero's life!" She cackled and jumped back, a cloud of smoke appearing around her and taking on the usual form of the Yiga. A normal one at least, not one of the more annoying blademasters. She swung the sickle around and formed a few hand signs and went to thrust it into the ground.

   Sheik jumped back and Link rolled to the side as the Yiga teleported away again. "What the hell is that?"

   "Yiga!"

   "Yiga? The thing I was accused of being before?"

    Oh. Link had forgotten about that and he never had a chance to explain them. Well, he'd do that once they'd chased the footsoldier off. They both hurried to their feet as the Yiga returned and as Link went to grab for his bow and arrow Sheik suddenly started playing music. He stopped moving, turned to look at his companion and watched the other throw his hand forward. Light followed the tips of his fingers, caught the Yiga soldier and brought them to the ground. The Yiga struggled to shake them off, rolling and twisting around yet unable to free himself. Link slowly released bow and stepped over to Sheik's side.

   "Neat trick."

   "Doesn't last long." He mutters and then quickly makes his way over to the Yiga, kneeling in front of them. "Hey, you, explain to me what this is. Why are you disgracing the Sheikah Tribe with a mockery of our symbol?"

   "Tch! As if the Sheikah deserve any respect!" She spit toward Sheik's face but it didn't faze him.

   "You use skills our clan has taken hundreds of years to master and you dare say that?"

   "Master Kohga will free us once the Hero is defeated and Ganon is free to rule! No longer will we be outcast and bound to the shadows!" The spell wore off and they leapt away, vanishing in a puff of smoke the same way they always arrive. Sheik stood back up and brushed his clothes off, still frowning.

   "The Yiga are a clan that abandoned the Sheikah Tribe when they were outcast from Hyrule. Impa told me the technology they invented made others fear them. Members of the Sheikah took to living apart from Hyrule, in the mountains where Kakariko is, abandoning their technology and the others that didn't agree with that became the Yiga." He picked the dropped bananas and rupees up, slipping them into his bag. When he turned back around Sheik was still staring at the spot the Yiga was in. "You okay Sheik?"

   "It's always the same." Link blinked and the other turned away from him, pulling his braid over his shoulder and picking the leaves from it. "What happens. It's always the same it seems. Eventually maybe they'll succeed in finishing off our tribe. We don't learn from history and it repeats itself. And even if we do learn, it seems it still repeats. What a vicious, endless, cycle." 

   "You mentioned before that the Shadow Temple was a mass grave for your people." He clenched his first at his side and waited, seeing if Sheik would elaborate. The other was working his fingers through his braid, undoing it and brushing out the stray locks. He turned back around and looked to Link, giving a slow nod.

   "We should continue, I can explain as we walk, no use in standing here and burning sunlight." Together they made their way back on the path, walking beside each other. Link kept an eye out for monsters and Sheik redid the braid in his hair, nimble fingers moving through the task easily. "I told you we were the royal family's greatest weapon and their greatest fear. It's always been like that. There was a war before I was born, between the Hylians and the Sheikah. They thought we were becoming a problem, aiming to rise against them. They assumed the worst of us. They wanted to keep control of us, wanted to make sure we knew our place." He looked up toward the tower and started in the direction of it again. His tone was cold and factual, as if he wasn't talking about his own family but just telling a story. He was using the task of finding the tower to distract himself from what he was saying.

   "Impa said they came at night, no warning. They'd executed the Sheikah that worked at the castle, cut their heads right off under claims of treason. Spying on the royal family. They had no proof of course." They moved to the side and walked around the ruins of the old buildings to avoid the moblins lurking around. "They razed the village, dragged the people out into the street. The Sheikah fought back but the King had brought the entire army. No matter how strong we are, we're few compared to a King's army of soldiers." It seemed so excessive and drastic. "Impa said her grandmother hid in the Graveyard, said it was the poorest moment of her life. Where she acted like a coward instead of a Sheikah. She was five."

   Sheik stopped at the edge of a wall and reached up, finding his footing and ascending. Link followed after him and they climbed upward toward the Tower on the top. It wasn't very long up and once Sheik was on solid ground he turned around and helped Link up. They were closer now and Link knew the way to Hateno Village from here. It wouldn't be long now.

   "They left a few alive, not many. And those of us that remained carried the bodies of the deceased Sheikah to the Shadow Temple. There, they buried everyone and created a sign to immortalize the deeds done against them by the Royal Family."

   It was a lot to take in but mostly Link felt sorry for Sheik. He was right, history seemed to repeat itself for the Sheikah. "What did it say?"

   "Here is gathered Hyrule's bloody history of greed and hatred." It seemed oddly fitting for the story but he can only imagine the pain they were in when they made that. To have your entire history slaughtered in the streets during the night.

   "And yet your mother served the family with loyalty and without resentment. I just find that so hard to believe." He shook his head and looked up to the tower. "What about you, do you hate them?"

   Sheik pulled out a flint from Link's pack and a Dirk from his thigh. He sat the flint down by the thorns that wrapped around the ground and up the tower. Striking the flint he started a small fire and lit the thorns up. "I was raised with the Princess." Link blinked and looked to the other in shock. "We were the same age. Along with the Hero of Time. If he wasn't left to the Kokiri Forest, I bet he would have gotten to know us too."

   The thorns cleared and Sheik moved to climb the tower. Link followed closely behind him and the other continued to explain. "Impa was close to the Princess's mother, who apparently expressed her sadness over what happened to the Sheikah Tribe. I don't remember her well, so I can't say if she was truthful or not. It's why Impa felt so strongly for the Princess. When the Queen died I think Impa filled the role of a mother figure for her." That made sense to Link and even more sense on why she'd carry a lack of hatred for the Royal Family. "Impa was the first one of us to serve the Royal Family after what they did. I think the Queen asked her to guard her daughter when she was born. A favor to a friend you can say." They reached the top and Link took the Sheikah Slate over to the terminal in the center.

   "And she brought you with her?" He asked, tapping the Sheikah slate to the terminal.

   "I was already born then, Impa said. there's a few months apart in our ages." He shrugged and Link took the newly updated map. "She had me follow her around from the moment I could walk and training when I was good enough to carry a weapon."

   Surprise filled Link and he looked to Sheik sharply, eyes wide. Has he never known a moment of peace?

   "The Princess started having visions of the future when she turned eight I think." He frowned thoughtfully and then figured he was close enough if he wasn't correct. "Impa gave me the Lyre then and an old book of songs that the Hero would need to learn. I think I took more of a fondness for playing the Lyre than she expected. Though she scolded me for learning songs not vital to the future of Hyrule." He smiles a bit here and looks away from Link. "I had wanted to play a song with the Hero just for the sake of playing it one day. It's unfortunate I didn't get the chance."

   He wanted to say something, anything to comfort the other but he found himself out of words for it. What did you say to comfort someone in a situation like this? He had nothing. And he hated that. "Sheik--"

   "It's fine, we should keep going. We're almost to Hateno?"

   It wasn't alright. "Sheik." He said the other's name more firmly this time and took a step toward him. Sheik looked to him and Link let out a nervous breath. "It's alright to miss your friends and family."

   He frowned a bit and looked away. "I know that."

   "Do you? Because it doesn't seem that way. You talk like it doesn't concern you. It should. Clearly the Hero meant a lot to you, and it's normal to miss your mother."

   He shook his head, shifted his gaze back to Link. "I barely knew the Hero, I just guided him and I gave my mother a better future than she would have had otherwise. Lost to the history books like everyone else. So it's fine, truly." Shrugging Sheik turned and headed to climb back down.

   Link pressed his lips together, shook his head and reached his hand out to grasp the others wrist. He tugged on him gently to keep him from leaving and to get his attention. "The Hero of Time didn't think that when I talked to him." Sheik paused, body tensing and didn't move. Link took that as his chance. "He asked me to take care of his friend, that he owed you his life. That doesn't strike me as something someone would say if they truly thought nothing of another person."

   He felt like he actually got somewhere, that he picked the right time to say that. However, Link felt his heart clench in his chest when Sheik's arm went lax in his grip and his shoulders began to shake. He swallowed roughly and took a step closer, trying to catch the others gaze. "Sheik? I'm sorry. I didn't want to upset you."

   The Sheikah shook his head and the hand that Link wasn't grasping reached up to rub his face. "You didn't. I just--I was so sure he hated me."

   "Why?" He prompted him perhaps with a bit more force than necessary.

   “All I did was lead him into trouble and patch him back up. Who wouldn’t be annoyed with someone for that? Appearing, telling him what to do, teaching him a song and leaving him to the wolves. Sometimes literally.” He gave a humorlessly laugh and rubbed his eyes. Link, at this point, realized Sheik was crying and trying very hard not to. “He tried so many times to get close to me and I ran away.”

   Link saw his point but despite how it looked to Sheik and how it sounded to him, the Hero saw it a completely different way. That was what mattered in the end. “But he thought of you as a friend, Sheik, and despite how it ended for him.” Link squeezed the other’s wrist. “I bet he’s glad he lives on in your memories at the very least. That to the very end he’s a Hero to you. So it’s alright to miss and mourn him.”

   Sheik swallowed and they fell into silence, his face pressed into his free hand and Link still holding the other. He thought this was as far as he’d get, that there would still be this thin wall between them. But then Sheik moved. He turned fully around suddenly and stepped forward, moving his hand from his face to wrap around Link’s neck. He buried his face into the crook of Link’s shoulder and held onto him. It took a few seconds for the shock to leave him but then quickly he wrapped his own arms back around the others waist and held him back.

   It was warm and Sheik’s body felt comfortable against his own, it was nice and he found himself reluctant to let Sheik go. It couldn’t last forever though and Sheik pulled Link a bit closer to him as he spoke. “Thank you.” And then he let go and stepped away. His eyes were a bit red and puffy but he did seem better, lighter, as if a part of himself that he hated so firmly was now let go.

   “We should go now, we’ve wasted quite a bit of time.” This time he agreed and the both of them climbed down the tower to get back to solid land and continued the trek to Hateno Village. It didn’t take too long from there, they could actually have seen Hateno from the tower up the road below. By the time they reached there it was a little past midday and grey clouds were gathering in the sky.

   With a storm coming it was agreed they should take shelter and Sheik started wandering about for somewhere to camp out. Link stopped at the nearby store and with the rupees he had bought some eggs and milk to cook food later and a stack of arrows to replenish his stock. When he wandered back out to find Sheik he located him near the houses in the back with an older man.

   “Mornin’!” They sang, a smile on their face. “Need something from me?”

   Sheik glanced to the house and back to the man. “What are you doing?”

   “My name’s Bolson and in case it’s not obvious, I’m demolishing this vacant house. Times are rough. Not a lot of buyers, y’know?”

   Sheik hummed and folded his arms across his chest. “I can buy it.” At this Link snapped his head over to Sheik, eyes widening.

   Bolson frowned and looked Sheik up and down. “Woah, get a load of young moneybags. Just wants to “buy” it, huh? Okey-doo… let me lay it out for you. See this house? Been vacant for years. So the villagers had a meeting, argued, voted, and decided to tear it down. The demolition costs, with associated fees, permits and other such details… it comes at fifty thousand rupees. So when you say you want to “buy it", you’re talking about fifty thousand rupees… you got that much on you?”

   “I do.” He replied simply, unblinking.

   “Woah ho-ho! Look at you! What a little go-getter! Reminds me of myself back in the day.” Was it him or did Sheik shutter at that comment. “Here’s the deal, just for you! I’ll cut you a special price of three thousand rupees. But! I’m going to need you to bring me thirty wood bundles. Building materials, you know how it is.”

   Sheik frowned and folded his arms across his chest. “But I have--”

   “Hudson! Karson! Stop what you’re doing!” He ignored Sheik, actually just ignored that Sheik had the money, walked around them and left them standing there.

   Sheik huffed out a heavy breath and shook his head. “What a--” He rolls his eyes and turns to Link. “I’m going to go collect wood apparently, because we don’t have enough to do.”

   “Wait, why are we buying a house?”

   Sheik blinked and tilted his head at Link. “Isn't it obvious? We carry so much stuff on us it’s inconvenient. If we had a house we won’t have to keep paying for inns, can store things and have somewhere to wait out when the weather gets bad. There’s a shrine around the corner from here, if you activate it we can just teleport back here. It’s a win-win situation." That was a pretty good idea and if Sheik had the money even better. Link barely had a hundred rupees left so a place he didn't have to pay for to sleep at and to keep him from the cold would be great. Collecting wood was a small price to pay.

   “I’ll go do that shrine and meet you in the woods nearby to collect the wood?” Sheik nodded and they split ways again, Link moving through Hateno Village over to the shrine. It didn’t take him too long to finish the shrine and when he finally managed to collect the spirit orb and leave, Sheik had collected half of the wood needed for Bolson. He had a thin sheet of sweat across his face and body already and was tugging at the neckline of his suit. Link quickly averted his gaze and moved toward another tree, pulling the Woodcutters Axe off from his back. Sheik was right he didn’t do well with heavy things like Axe’s and cutting down trees.

   With the two of them joined together it took the rest of the afternoon to collect the remaining wood needed for Bolson. They bundled up all thirty stacks of wood and tied them together with a rope for easily getting it up to the house. They carried it together and returned to the small fire pit where Bolson and the others sat, dropping it at the man's feet.

   “Hi! You got the thirty wood bundles? Excellent. All I needed to see… good-faith wood. You’re obviously serious about this, and now I know it. So, as promised, I’ll sell you this old house for the law price of three-thousand rupees.”

   Sheik reached into his suit and removed his rupee pouch, pulling out the needed amount and passing it to Bolson’s waiting hands.

   “Thanks for the sweet investment! Spending so much money on anything at your age… it’s just so… studly!” Again, Link swore Sheik shuttered and moved just the slightest bit closer to him. “What a lovely couple buying their first house! Ah, it reminds me of when I was young too. There’s a weapon mount in there that was never sold… consider it a housewarming gift to the newly coupled homeowners. Hope you get some use out of it!”

   Sheik hummed and looked over to the house, their new house, and then turned back to the man on the ground. “There’s no door.”

   “Door was sold! As was most the items in the house. It’s rather vacant.”

   “What price do you want for putting everything back?”

   “Hm…” Bolson squinted at Sheik and glanced toward the house before back to him. “You can buy upgrades! I’ll sell it to you for the price of one thousand rupees! No, for you, a hundred rupees. Just let me know what you want.”

   “I want a door.” He stated, firmly, frowning at the man. “Look, here’s another three thousand rupees just--give us a door and a bed.” He tossed the money down to Bolson’s lap and the man seemed briefly taken aback. He stared at it, looked to Sheik, then to the man on the other side of the fire that was left. Link hadn’t even noticed when the third guy left.

   “Alright. Let me get in the proper mindset.” He cleared his throat and then stood up. “Karson! We are ON!”

   “I’m with you!”

   They got to work and Sheik sat down next to the fire, hands resting in his lap and closing his eyes. Link sat down next to him and watched the boys work, starting with the door that Sheik desperately wanted and moving on. When it got late they joined the two of them at the fire and Link put the food he had to use, cooking not just for Sheik and himself but Bolson and Karson as well. They appreciated the meal after working so hard and Link appreciated the fact the house now had a door.

   At some point he fell asleep, leaning over to the side and head falling onto Sheik’s shoulder. It was a comfortable place to rest and the longer the night went on eventually his head slipped down and landed in his friend’s lap. He stirred briefly when he felt someone run their fingers through his hair and moved closer to the soft feeling, a sigh falling from his lips.

   Link woke to the sound of a hammer and saw, eyes slowly blinking open to the bright sun. When he moved to sit up he realized Sheik’s hand was still resting on top of his head but the other was very clearly asleep. He honestly didn’t think Sheik slept enough, considering how he was always awake when Link woke. He very carefully extracted himself from Sheik trying his best not to disturb him.

   “Good mornin’! You two were asleep or most the mornin’. Have a long day yesterday?” Link nodded to Bolson and rubbed his eyes. “You were quite cute cuddlin’ like that while we were workin’.” He hoped he didn’t react but the steady growing heat to his face he felt definitely declared that he was wrong about that. “Anyway, we’re all done! You bought everythin’ we had to offer so we threw in some free furniture as a thank you!” He sat back down by the fire and left them alone.

   Link turned to wake Sheik but he realized that the conversation had already done that. He stood to his feet and headed to the house leaving Link to hurry after him. He waited at the door for him and once Link was by his side pushed the door open.

   It was nice. There was a decent sized table in the main room and weapon racks off to the sides. A large wooden board hung along the ceiling alight with several lanterns that brightened the place up. Below the stairs that lead to the second level was a small room that opened up to a bathroom with a bath that could be heated up. Link peeked around the crates that were left inside, finding a sizeable amount of storage room in them and a closet he could use to hang some of the extra gear he carried around.

   When he headed back around to find Sheik he located him on the second level leafing through a few books on a bookshelf and at the desk there. It seemed perfect for Sheik. Link can’t see himself using a desk but he could definitely see Sheik at one writing things down. He watched the other pick up one of the random pictures on the table and turn it around a few times before setting it down.

   “Link?”

   “Hm?” He moved over to the bed, larger than a normal one Bolson definitely did that intentionally.

   “Would you take a picture with me?” Of all the favors he ever expected Sheik to ask, especially for his first one, that was never it. Sheik didn’t seem like a picture person. He turned to look at him. “The pictures in here are just of random scenery. It would be nice to display one of us. It is our house, right?” He nodded instantly, eager for the idea of taking a picture with Sheik. “Good. Later though, I’m filthy and the day is still young. We should prepare ourselves for the next Divine Beast and rest well tonight.”

   “Since we’re in Hateno Village we could go see Purah. She can upgrade the Sheikah Slate for us. I’ve been intending to do that but she needed ancient parts to do it. I should have enough now.”

   Sheik frowned a bit and looked to Link confused. “Whose Purah?”

   “Linky you’re back!” Purah jumped up and down joyfully at seeing Link again. The novelty of his arrival quickly vanished through the moment her eyes landed on Sheik. She let out a squeal of delight and rushed over to him, face alight with a smile. “You brought Sheiky with you! Impa told me all about you! Are you really an ancient Sheikah? Can I run a few tests on you? Come sit, sit! I could use some blood--”

   Sheik dodged back and twisted behind Link, glaring at Purah over his shoulder. “You said her appearance would be deceiving before we left. I’m unsure if you meant her age or her cheerful personality that hides her devious means.” Purah puffed her cheeks out and crossed her arms over her chest, turning away from Sheik.

   “How rude! Talking about a lady’s age right in front of her! I’ll have you know I’m over a century! And I look fantastic for my age!”  

   “You’re a Sheikah, your eyes are red.”

   “You’re a Sheikah and your hair is blonde!”

   They stared at each other for a long moment, as if at a standstill and Link wondered if he should go stand in the corner with Symin and let them work this out.

   “I meant,” Sheik started slowly as if he was actually talking to a child. “Link mentioned that the red eyes of the Sheikah bloodline had all but vanished. Yet, your eyes are red.”

   “Oh!” She hummed and swayed back and forth, grinning. “And I’m the only one in my family with them! Impa’s bloodline is closer to the main branch than I was and yet I’m the one that ended up with them. Interesting that, right?” She smiled widely, clearly pleased with that revelation.

   “I see. Interesting.” He moved out from behind Link, seeming to assess she wasn’t about to pin him down and start hacking parts of his body off to test.

   “And you? Your hair! It works well for you, very pretty, but I am curious!”

   Sheik seemed to think that was fair as he asked about her eyes. “My father was half Hylian. His genetics were stronger than the Sheikah ones. At least that’s what my mother said. I never met him.”

   “Impa said your mother was the Great Impa from legend. Our family is directly descended from her family line.” Link had figured that from how their Impa talked yet Sheik still looked surprised by this revelation.

   “She had more kids?” At this information Sheik moved closer to Purah, like a moth to a flame, and crouched in front of her. “I didn’t know that though I had assumed she would… being one of the last of our tribe.”

   Purah smiled a kinder one and hummed to him, nodding her head. “She had two according to our family books. Though records that old are unreliable or illegible. The names for the most part are indescribable, but we think she had a daughter she named Impa, as is tradition for our tribe.” She swayed her body forward and back, smiling wider. “So see? We’re family! No matter how many years pass! So let me run some tests on you!”

   And the moment was ruined. Sheik took several steps back and turned away from Purah. “Link needs some upgrades for the Sheikah slate.”

   “Oh Linky! You know the drill! Which one were you thinking?”

   Link passed her over all the parts that she needed for the three upgrades; bombs, stasis and the camera. She took the parts and set them up for the terminal in the back and then skipped back over to the both of them. “Okay Linky, say snap! Snap, snap, snap!”

   He ignored Sheik’s amused look and raised his voice a small bit. “Snap!”

   Purah cheered and jumped up and down, giggling. “Now your turn, Sheiky! Snappy!”

   “I’m good.” She puffed her cheeks out at him again, frowning tersely and clenching her small hands. They stared at each other for a long amount of time, Purah unrelenting in what she wanted. Eventually Sheik let out a sigh and looked away. “Snap.”

   “Well break you in eventually, I did Linky. Okay Linky! Let’s upgrade the Sheikah Slate!” Glad for this to be over he quickly headed to the terminal and placed the slate in it. It twisted around, locked in place and upgraded itself. Link took it back when it popped out and turned to Purah. “Where are you guys off to now? Impa said she wanted you to visit soon, she found something for Sheiky for when you guys head to the colder regions.”

   That would have been helpful days ago but he won’t say that. “Oh, we can swing around to Kakariko then tomorrow. If we’re headed that way Sheik we could grab a few towers and shrines on the way.”

   “If you’re going that far you can hit the Rito too!”

   Sheik frowned and folded his arms across his chest. “We intended on heading to Death Mountain though, the Rito’s are on the other side of the map.”

   “True, but since we can teleport all over here now we can head to Death Mountain at any time.” Link didn’t have a problem skipping a place called Death Mountain for the moment.

   “Hmmm. If I can make a suggestion, I’d head to Hebra first. Death Mountain might need more preparation for the heat. You can warm yourself up quicker than you can cool yourself down before you combust!” Purah had a point and Link definitely agreed with her. “There are plants you can gather in Hebra that can be cooked to resist heat. It should help with Death Mountain. Not so much with the flame resistance.”

   Sheik mouthed the word ‘flame’ and it was decided right then and there they’d prepare much more before heading to Death Mountain. They parted with Purah from there, Sheik relenting enough to give her a few strands of hair for her ‘research’. They returned to the house and Sheik started removing the extra bits to his outfit to take a bath.

   “Oh, I could take a look at your back, Sheik.” That shock arrow that hit him still should be looked at though he figured by now if there were lasting effects they’d see them. Still, he wanted a peak at it just to make sure Sheik was alright. Sheik glanced over at him and gave a nod before vanishing into the bathroom to bathe.

   While he was gone Link made use of the cooking pot and made a small meal of seafood fry and some vegetables. He set it up on the table and by the time he was finished the bathroom door opened and Sheik returned.

   He wasn’t wearing the same uniform. He’d lost the Sheikah armor for a blue shirt that still had the Sheikah eye on it and a pair of simple trousers. His face was also notably missing the mask. It was the first time Link had seen the rest of his friends face and he couldn’t help by taking all of it in, every single bit. Sheik had a sharp jaw which he’d noticed even with the mask on but there was a pale pink scar that ran across the left side of his jaw and down his chin. In the corner right side of his mouth rested a small mole. He had a nice face, Link hoped he kept the mask off forever, yet he was weirdly annoyed at the thought of others seeing what was beneath the mask.

   “Impa gave me the clothes before I left. She also offered me a uniform, the ones they wear now? I brought it, just for the chance I might need to wear it.” And now he had a strong desire to see Sheik in the uniform. “I don’t think I’d like it though, it seems bulky.” He shook his head and moved over to the coat rack by the door to hang his cowl and head wrap. “I washed the uniform, it’s hanging in the bathroom. You should wash your clothes too.”

   Link also noticed now that Sheik’s back was to him, that the other’s hair was out of the braid. It was long not kept up like that, the ends of it brushing Sheik’s lower back instead of the middle. It looked soft. “Do you want me to look at your back?”

   He got a small nod in turn and Sheik moved to sit on one of the chairs at the table. He sat on it sideways so that Link could see his back and then grasped the end of the shirt. Pulling it up over his back he held it so Link could easily see where the arrow hit.

   It left a scar, a spiderweb like spread of marks from the center point where the arrow clearly hit. It was the newest one of what looked like many stretching out across Sheik’s skin. It wasn’t just his back either, he could see the pale scars moving across the other's side and vanishing to where he couldn’t see Sheik’s chest.

   Link moved closer and reached his hand out, fingertips touching the edge of the largest scar and following it up from Sheik’s lower back to his right shoulder blade. He felt Sheik shutter beneath his hand and yet didn’t stop. “It left a scar.” He replied, mouth moving on auto.

   “So not much different than the others.” Sheik tugged his shirt down and Link took his hand back, dropping it to his side. “It’s fine, I know I have a lot of them. Some are sensitive and some make it so I can’t even feel that part of my skin. I had more before, during the time of Ganon. Most of these ones are from training or fighting my way through the Shadow Temple.” Training. How hard was he pushing himself that he got that many scars?

   “Sheik--”

   “It’s hard. Waking up twelve years old and having two conflicting sets of memories. Remembering things no one else does.” He shakes his head and Link watches him silently. “You remember your body moving a specific way but can’t get it to do that again. Your limbs are too short, reaction times slower. I made a lot of mistakes, picked fights with the Hyrule guards, acted out. It took about a year for my brain and body to finally catch up with each other. I heard by that time the Hero had left Hyrule. I had asked… a mutual friend of ours.” He didn’t mean the Princess, if he had he would have said so. So who? “I wonder a lot what happened to him.” He sat up straighter and moved the chair closer to the table. “Go shower Link, you’ll feel better.”

   It was interesting to him, how conflicting their situations seemed. Link had no memories and Sheik had too many. He hated not being able to remember things when people bring it up and Sheik seemed exhausted from everything he did remember. He wondered if there was a balance for them, if Link would feel better if he could remember certain things. But he liked making new memories with Sheik and he wanted those to take priority over what he didn’t remember.

   Link took his time bathing, washing the dirt and grime from his body. As Sheik suggested he washed the Hylian clothes he favored and hung them up to dry, tugging on his red shirt and extra trousers he had. Clean and dressed he returned to where Sheik was still at the table, food still sitting in front of him. When Link sat down he started to eat and they finished off the meal in a comfortable and thoughtful silence.

   "When we take a picture I think I should be able to get it off of the Sheikah Slate with one of the towers. When you're connected to them I found a display setting that lets me access a few extra prompts. Like, for example, there's a setting I can use that displays all the unactivated shrines in the nearest vicinity."

   Link blinked at this and looked to Sheik surprised. "Really?"

   Sheik nodded and sat his utensils down on the empty plate. "The towers run off of Sheikah Magic, scanning the area is how it shows you the map. It can locate a number of things. However, once you disconnect the Sheikah Slate from the tower you're cut off from that source of information. You'll have to mark them on the map if you want to keep track of them." He did, those spirit orbs were useful. Not to mention being able to travel about to the nearest area was useful.

   "Speaking of Sheikah Magic, that Waterblight I fought in Vah Ruta. It teleported like we do when using the Sheikah slate." He sat his own plate aside and leaned onto the table. "I assumed that was how it was controlling Vah Ruta, by infusing itself into the magic and technology the Divine Beast used."

   Sheik frowned thoughtfully, which he could now see and agreed with himself it was a nice look. Sheik was more expressive without the mask, probably so used to having his face hidden he didn't think about it. "I see, so that's what happened. When it latched onto me it drained me of my own energy, trying to steal my magic like it did the Divine Beast." That sounded horrifying. "I'll have to be more careful around the blights in the next Divine Beasts. Especially if I want to be awake to help you." Link didn't care if he was helpful or not he just wanted Sheik to be okay.

   Sheik stood and collected their plates, taking them over to the basin of water Link had filled from the well. He rinsed and washed them before hanging the plates up on the rack.

   "I assume you're fine sharing the bed after how many nights we spent in the woods?" Link was indeed more than fine sharing the bed. He gave a simple nod. "Good, let's go then the more sleep we get the more we'll be ready for the day."

   He followed Sheik upstairs and the other climbed into the bed, leaving enough room for Link to join him. The bed was a decent size, enough for them to have space between them and the blankets Bolson got were warm and heavy. Sheik made sure the window was closed and locked before getting comfortable under the blanket and rolling onto his side.

   When Link woke in the morning it was to feeling more than comfortable and wrapped around something warm. He slowly blinked his eyes open and found his face buried in a blue fabric. Slowly leaning back he blinked down into the Sheikah eye. It took his brain a moment to connect the shirt with the person who wore it. Apparently in his sleep he had rolled over and thrown himself across Sheik. His legs were tangled with the Sheikah's and his face was buried in their shirt. He slowly untangled himself and rolled back over onto his side, face tucking into the mattress.

   He wanted to curl back into Sheik, the bed was cold over here. He must have fallen back asleep because when he opened his eyes he was alone in the bed. Link yawned and climbed to his feet, making the bed quickly and heading downstairs. Sheik's clothes were already gone and Link dressed quickly before heading outside.

   His friend was dressed impeccably and as always, mask, cowl and head wrap back in place. His hair was braided and the weight back in it, the long braid resting over his back once more. Link headed over to his side and lightly bumped his shoulder with the Sheikah's. "Did you sleep well?" He got a hum of confirmation and grinned. "I did too. Buying a house was a good idea. When you're ready we can head to Kakariko? It takes a few days to get there."

   "More sleeping in the woods. Is there a shrine nearby?"

   "There is, but when the slate was reset so was my Teleportion for that. I'll have to activate it when we get there." He nodded to that information and started down the path to the entrance to Hateno Village. "Impa said she'd find a different method to you recovering your memories. Do you think she did that?"

   Honestly he doubted it was that easy. "Can I ask a question?" Sheik nodded and Link glanced over at him, hoping he didn't upset the other. "If you could forget the events that never came to pass, like everyone else, would you have preferred that?"

   It seemed like such an invasive question. Sheik tended to shut down on him emotionally when they talked about the other time. But he wanted to know and that selfish desire pushed him anyway. To his surprise though, Sheik instantly shook his head. "I wouldn't give up the experiences I had during that time for anything. And the Hero deserves to be remembered by someone for what he did. Do you want your memories back, Link?"

   Unlike Sheik he had to think about his answer to that. It took him a few minutes to collect his thoughts and words and when he was ready to speak Sheik was patiently waiting. Eager to listen to whatever it was Link wanted to talk about. "I don't know. They said I failed them all, in spectacular and ranging ways. Is that… really the person I want to remember being? Who I am now, and who I was then, it feels like completely different people."

   "And you're entitled to feel that way." Sheik shrugged his shoulders and looked over to him again. His eyes seemed so honest and kind as he spoke. It felt like all people did was judge Link. What he did, what he was doing, what he doesn't remember. "It's easier, sometimes, to just go forward rather than backwards. And you can make as many new memories as you want rather than trying to remember the ones you had." He gives a small hum and turns to face Link, catching the Hylian's arm and stopping him from moving. "And if it makes you feel any better at all. I like this you, who you are now, and the memories we're making together."

   It did help. It actually helped a lot. Link felt a smile spread across his face and he gave a content nod. He moved closer to Sheik and threw his arms around the others neck, hanging on to him. He felt Sheik tense for a moment beneath him but slowly his body began to relax and moved his own arms around Link's waist. He held him like they had on top of the Tower, taking comfort in each other's presence. Then Link stepped back and dropped his arms to his side. "Thank you."

   Sheik nodded and Link spotted the growing pink color to his cheeks. He was blushing. Quickly the Sheikah turned away and continued along the path with Link at his side.

   Along the way to Kakariko they stuck to the path. It was a straight clear way to Kakariko if you knew which branch to take when the road diverted off between the stables and Kakariko. Link still intended to get Sheik on a horse but for now he used the spare slow pace to take out a few Bokoblin Camps and the Moblins that walked the roadside. The parts he collected could be sold for some extra money or cooked into potions. The potion thing Link wasn't aware of until Sheik grabbed a Bokoblin horn and tossed it into the cooking pot. The expression of horror he made was apparently quite entertaining to Sheik.

   From his explanation there was an older woman in Kakariko, his Kakariko, that ran a potion shop. When Sheik was hurt and dragged himself in there she'd patch him up with a potion. Sheik had learned a lot from her when it came to brewing potions. It was fascinating watching him cook them.

   Though honestly he found he just liked watching Sheik. The habits that he had, the way he fought, everything about him was interesting. The pieces of his life story he gave to Link in bits and pieces were so fascinating to hear. He experienced far more than Link himself and all of that he carried in him. He might not be as good at fighting as Link but he had the intelligence to think around it. He could work out a strategy to take out an entire camp of Bokoblins and direct Link to the best vantage point, all with a single glance. Link asked him once, when they were working to take out a camp, how he spotted it all.

   Sheik had shrugged and gave what seemed like the most simple answer. "My mother was a war strategist."

   When they took the last break before reaching Kakariko, Sheik had decided to camp in some old ruins of a watch tower. There was a cooking pot left by people before them and it didn't take much to get the small fire going. Thankfully it wasn't that cold out but the fire still helped. Sheik threw some things into the cookpot and started to make a quick stew to feed the both of them. He seemed more comfortable taking his mask down in front of Link now since that night at the house. It was a pleasant thing to notice.

   "Kakariko is just a few hours travel now, but we should rest before getting there. It's dangerous to travel in the dark anyway." That much was true, it was getting so hard to see at one point Link almost walked into a pond. He took the bowl of food Sheik offered and started to eat it as Sheik fumbled with the map on the Sheikah slate, his own bowl beside him. "Whatever Impa wants from us should be fairly easy to handle. You said you wanted to visit the Great Fairy then too. Not to mention we need to grab the shrine there." Another thing he noticed was that Sheik managed time better than him. Link just ran blindly into a town, grabbed what he wanted and then got distracted by everyone and everything. It hadn't been a problem before but now that he was going for the Divine Beasts it was. "It might be best to spend the night in Kakariko and then head to Mount Hebra."

   "Mm. Purah said we should take the time to gather plants in Hebra to withstand the heat of Death Mountain." Sheik nodded to that and Link sat his empty bowl down. "We can gather them while preparing for the Divine Beast."

   "Are we prepared for another Divine Beast? How are your weapons?"

   Link grinned brightly and pat his pack beside him. "Thanks to the camps we took out and the new method of cooking you got," the potions, "I think I'm good. Plus, I have a few guardian weapons from the shrines I took out too. I think I just might need some more arrows more than anything."

   Sheik nodded. "We can stop at the store in Kakariko and buy a few bundles." Not for the first time Link wondered just how much money Sheik had on him. "You should rest, I'll wake you when the sun rises."

   Though the broken down walls kept the worst of the wind off of them, the ground wasn't nearly as comfortable being stone. Link had used a few of the extra clothes he had to cushion himself but if they had the extra money he was going to invest in a blanket. Blankets and towels per Sheik's request from before. Thankfully since Zora's Domain the weather hadn't decided to start pouring down on them again. He somehow got himself comfortable on some straw and old clothes before looking to Sheik. He was in the same place watching the Sheikah Slate, having pulled up some settings on it now that Link couldn't read. He wondered if the Sheikah language on the tablet differed between what they used now. Did the Sheikah language advance since the Ancient Sheikah's?

   "Are you going to sleep, Sheik?" He finally asked, drawing the others red gaze. "I noticed since we left Hateno you haven't slept out here. And I noticed before too when we started traveling you never slept really."

   He shifted his gaze back to the tablet and stared at it. "I don't sleep. Out here, anyway. Habit from following the Hero of Time around. I'd follow him during the day and then at night he'd fall asleep and I'd keep watch. He was reckless. Always leaving himself out in the open." Link blinked at this and opened his mouth to speak but Sheik continued. "When he was inside a village or temple, somewhere I couldn't easily follow, I'd sleep. But never for long and never deeply. Monsters were typically wandering about Hyrule Field."

   It sounded like he trained his body to work on just a few hours of sleep at most. Wasn't that unhealthy and dangerous? No wonder he always looked tired. "You slept well I'm Hateno, I think."

   "I did." The reply was quick and Link got the impression he was smiling. "It was better sharing a bed and being somewhere safer. Behind walls."

   Link felt his face heat and rolled over onto his back. "Oh, sorry about the… clinging thing."

   "Don't be." The reply came softly and when Link looked back up Sheik was watching him once again. "It was easier to sleep because you were closer. I knew you were safe."

   Just the way he said it was enough for Link's heart to skip in his chest, breath catching. He swallowed roughly and rolled back over onto his side, looking at Sheik. "I could… move closer if you think it'll be easier."

   Sheik huffed out a laugh, small and fond. It mad Link's face warmer to hear. He gets a nod in response and the Sheikah slate is moved away along with the empty bowl. Link stood and dragged his makeshift nest over to Sheik's side, sitting down beside him. He wasn't entirely sure how close to get and he didn't want to suffocate Sheik so he attempted to give him some room. But the other's right arm wrapped around his waist and tugged him closer.

   It was comfortable and warm, his body pressed to Sheik's side and head resting on his shoulder. The cowl seemed to add padding for his head to rest on and like this he was quite sure he could fall asleep.

   He doesn't know if Sheik slept but when the sun was up and rising in the sky he found himself being shaken awake. He picked his head up off of Sheik's lap and stretched his body out, a yawn tumbling from his lips. He was still so tired but they weren't doing much today and could rest in the inn.

   They gathered up their supplies and Link slipped the Sheikah slate into the belt at his waist. He'd try and grab a few more shrines on the way to Kakariko, the ones he had marked on the map weren't too far out of the way but not directly near Kakariko either. They had time at least before Impa would probably even be awake to see them.

   When they reached Kakariko it was about midday. They stepped through the gates and headed down the steps toward Impa's house. Dorian and Cado greeted them with happy nods and waves. Link was just glad to not have a repeat of the first time he brought Sheik. Sheik though still didn't seem impressed with them in the least bit. Thankfully he greeted them with a nod and the mask hid whatever distaste was on his face.

   They knocked before opening the doors and Impa sat in her usual seat on top of the pillows. Paya was gone and they hadn't seen her outside, Link assumed she was out and about helping the villagers. Or visiting her Aunt. She did that sometimes from what Impa told him. The old woman smiled brightly and nodded her head in greeting to them.

   "Link, Sheik, I see you got my message. I'm glad you were in Hateno Village. How is your mission going?"

   "Purah says hello." She doesn't, their relationship confuses Link a bit. Impa acts like the older sister but seems exhausted and fond of Purah at the same time. But it was polite. "She… met Sheik."

   "She wanted my body parts." Blunt and to the point, Link loved and hated that about Sheik. "She got some hair. But she said you wanted to see us." Impa nods to this and Sheik continues. "We aided the Zora against Divine Beast Vah Ruta. Zora's Domain and by extension all of Hyrule is saved. Flooding was a problem."

   "Oh how wonderful boys! I'm glad you're making progress." Impa grinned widely and pat her knee. "It was worrying considering what befell the Sheikah slate but everything is working out in the end. Though your memories are still a problem Link. I'm not sure what to do more in helping you retrieve them. But, I won't give up just yet. This old woman has a few tricks up her sleeve still." That wasn't as reassuring as she probably hoped it would be.

   Impa moved behind her and pulled out a box, placing it down in her lap. She ran his hands over top of it gently before looking up to Sheik. "I was in storage a few days ago, looking through our records for information on you. Unfortunately as I'm sure you know, most records that old are usually lost to us. There wasn't much." She shakes her head pitifully and sighs. "But, while I was in there. I found this. It belonged to my own grandmother." She smiles and picks the box up, offering it out to Sheik. "You didn't come here with much so it only makes sense that we would assist you as much as we can as a member of the Sheikah Tribe. Sheik, please take this and may it keep you safe in your travels."

   Sheik didn't move for the first few seconds, watching Impa with what absolutely was surprised in his gaze. When he collected himself he slowly stepped forward and reached down, taking the box from Impa and lifting the lid on it. He sat it down beside her and reached inside, removing a long cloak from the box. It was the same dark blue as his uniform with a thin and small grey fur lining. He shook it out and turned it around, looking to the elegantly embroidered red Sheikah Eye threaded into the back of it. Link didn't care much for fashion, he bought whatever looked useful and threw it on. But even he would agree it looked gorgeous. It fit Sheik too, as did anything that seemed Sheikah styled.

   Sheik let out a breath he was holding and looked up to the other. "Are you sure?"

   "It will serve you more out there than it will us here in storage. No one has worn it since my Grandmother. She was an amazing person, that cloak served her well, as I hope it will you."

   Sheik nodded and folded the Cloak gently over his arm, moving back to Link's side. He held it like it was made of glass and Link pitied the first creature that got something on it. Link looked over to Sheik before back to Impa and smiled widely at her. "Don't worry about Sheik, I'm taking good care of him." Sheik elbowed him in the side and huffed out a breath of laughter, face turned away from them. "Thank you, Impa. We'll be taking our leave now."

   Link turned to leave and Sheik gave Impa a deep bow, thanking her again for the Cloak and help she was offering him. Link held the door open for Sheik and they stepped outside together, moving closer to the other's side as they walked through the village. "Are you going to the shrine and the Great Fairy?" Link gave a nod and pointed to the area that led to the back of Kakariko. "Alright, I'm going to the Inn to book our room for the night and then see if I can get us any more supplies."

   Sheik and him split ways and Link climbed the mountain to the Shrine. Having already done this one the moment he tapped the Sheikah slate to it the teleporter lit back up. Satisfied they could quick travel back to Kakariko he headed further into the forest where the Great Fairy spring was. He didn't have much left she could upgrade without finding the other Great Fairy springs but at the very least she added some extra armor to his Hylian set.

   He collected the flowers around himself and whatever was in the trees. Finding some eggs and fruit. He pocketed them all and returned to town, keeping an eye out for Sheik. It wouldn't be hard to spot him here, a single blond head in a sea of white. But he didn't spot the man at all as he headed to the Inn. Yet, as he walked through Shuteye Inn, Ollie happily waved him over and informed him that the inn was paid for already for him. Just one bed though. Link turned to the door and considered going out and searching for Sheik but he knew if the Sheikah didn't want to be found… he wouldn't be.

   Link missed sleeping with Sheik. He tossed and turned during the night until finally getting comfortable enough to pass out. Ollie woke up the next morning when the sun was already high up. Apparently Link was difficult to wake today and Ollie let him sleep in a bit longer. He thanked the Sheikah and gathered his clothes, dragging his Hylian set on, before gathering his bag and weapons.

   He headed outside and searched for Sheik instantly, gaze scanning trees and hilltops for him. He twisted around, sighed heavily and then looked away. "Sheik?"

   "Up here."

   He spun around and tilted his head upward, blinking up at the top of the Shuteye Inn where indeed there sat Sheik on top of the building. Link could probably get up there, if he walked around and jumped from the higher level, but Sheik could jump down just as easily. "Are you coming down?"

    His legs swung over the edge of the Inn's roof and Sheik swung himself down, Cloak waving in the wind as Sheik fell. He landed perfectly and straightened his clothes before heading over to where Link was standing. The Cloak wrapped around his entire body and fell against his middle thighs. He looked comfortable, warm, and the Cloak didn't stand out at all against his Sheikah uniform. It added an extra fluidity to his movement, an elegance that Link had noticed before but the Cloak brightened. He liked it.

   "Are you ready to head to Hebra? I did some research on the Rito last night, thanks to the library here." So that's where he was. Did Sheik ever plan on sleeping? If they needed to return to their house for Sheik to sleep he'd more than willingly drag him back there. "The Rito tribe are an aviary species that live in the mountains of Hebra. The archery range is out there and they specialize in the use of bows. Competitive people when it comes to that apparently." Link was going to make a trip over to that for fun. "They also enjoy music, they're a very musically inclined race." Which Impa had mentioned when she informed Sheik of who the Rito were. He remembered. "And, their Divine Beast is called Vah Medoh. It's a bird."

   Link nodded and pulled the Sheikah slate out, bringing up the map. "So, we don't have a map of the area so we can't plan the best course for getting over there. I have a general idea of where Vah Medoh is thanks to the markers. We should get horses though." Sheik's eyebrows knit together in distaste at the idea, head turning away. "Or a horse. You can ride with me. Sheik, it'll take days to walk to Hebra. Days. I promise I'm a good horse ridder."

   "I've never ridden a horse before." Link blinked in shock and gave him a look of disbelief. "All that training and you never learned to ride a horse? I thought you were just afraid of them."

   Sheik shook his head and folded his arms across his chest. "The Hero had a horse, she was very kind and I got along with her just fine. I just don't know how to ride. It wasn't important enough for me to know given my specialty."

   "Well," Link huffed and smiled, putting the Sheikah slate away. "You can just ride with me. Trust me."

   As it turned out Blueberry actually liked Sheik. A lot. She butted her head against him, breathed all over his face and let Sheik offer her an apple. She detested Link at first so he was a bit jealous at how eagerly Blueberry got along with him. He thanked the Stable Hand for bringing Blueberry out and led the horse away down the path a bit. He didn't want to put on a show of getting Sheik on a horse for everyone to see. Clearly Sheik didn't like crowds or being the center of attention.

   He swung himself up onto Blueberry's saddle and held a hand down for Sheik to take. Sheik frowned a bit and then took the Hero's hand and let the other guide him up onto the horses back. He put Sheik in front of him for easier access in keeping an eye on him and took hold of Blueberry's reigns. "Hang on, we're riding through central Hyrule and it's full of Guardians. But it's the shortest way to get toward the mountains."

   Sheik nodded tensely and grasped the front of the saddle tightly in his hands. Link made sure Sheik was ready and then tapped Blueberry to move.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.5K 3.2K 27
The story contains cussing, violence, sensitive topic and mature content do read it at your own risk, if you don't like reading books like these than...
155 82 30
There are many ways to see the Worlds To visit lands unknown Many paths one might take Some with wills of their very own Our tale begins with one suc...
11.7K 379 21
warning: this book contains serious topics, and might be triggering to some of you read at your own risk This is an incredibly Slow-burn this is just...
35 1 1
Sheik's job was written out for him the moment he was born. Be the guide, be the shadow, but nothing more. He was content with those rules, Impa made...