Neverwake

Running. Panting. Every breath more painful than the last. 

Footsteps growing louder every second; never yielding, never slowing,  gaining speed all the while.

Yelling. A rising sense of claustrophobia. The world collapsing.

Spinning. Dizziness.

Maria couldn’t run much longer. She heard her name, the voice of someone familiar, and ran towards the hopeful sound. It called out to her over and over, yet lost volume through every stomp of her exhausted running feet.

“Please! I hear you! I’m here,” she tried to plead with un-audible screaming. The voice was too distant for comfort.

“Come back to me, Maria,” it begged, the voice saturated with grief, “Please don’t leave me!” It was closer now, the voice.

And the sound of footsteps pounding behind her.

Never yielding, never slowing, rather, keeping pace now.

She had a feeling of certain doom that she could not overcome, she felt lost in the forest in which she ran. Pushing through trees,  scratches from haunted thorns and bushes. 

At last, she came upon a river. Something beckoned to her, calling her into the strangely calm waters. The serenity of the river had her drooling at the thought, a ravenous thirst inviting her forward. She succumbed to the invitation and dove.

Shock. Pleasure.

The water was ice to the fire that swarmed her body. 

Diving deep, and deeper still.  A golden light loomed just ahead her. She swam towards it and once closer, realized it was a hand. The hand was attached to a familiar angel. She could not place her mind on where she’d seen him. 

The angel was beautiful as he swam with Maria, his hold on her hand never loosening, while his sad eyes watched her.  He made her think of fresh air, startling her as to why she need not breathe under the water.

A voice fell from somewhere.

“Your wife isn’t going to make it, Mr. Johnson. The crash was too severe for her wounds to be healed.”

The angel holding her hand began to cry, his tears visible as light blue blobs of beauty in the darkness that was the water.

“Don’t cry, dear angel,” she spoke weakly, amazed she did not drown.

And then the water began to dissolve, rushing past Maria, and pushing on her the memories of what had happened. 

She closed her eyes, frightened at the rushing and shifting of scenery.  But the rushing stopped and she opened her eyes, finding herself looking into the green eyes of the angel; her beautiful husband. She was laying on a hospital bed, the room around her starch white.

“I’m dying?” she whispered, the words now sinking in.  The angel who was her husband, so beautiful, cradled her in his arms and began loud sobs.

“No. No, please no!” He pleaded loudly to the air, You aren’t dying,” he said after a pause filled only with his sobbing. “You’ll only be sleeping. When you wake up, we will be together again, my love!”

“Benny,” she said, barely, “please don’t worry, my beautiful soul. Do not weep for me, dove. It doesn’t hurt anymore. You will be in my dreams, and I in yours.” 

Benny cradled her tighter, weeping into her hair.  After a very long while, the doctor came in and called Benny out into the hall. He left Maria, tears still streaming down his rosy cheeks.

“Benny,” said the doctor, “she doesn’t have much more time. I want you to prepare yourself.”

“Dr. Alex, would you do me a favor?” Benny asked.

“Sure, anything,” came the reply.

*Back in the hospital room.*

Maria looked blurrily to the door in time to see her angel come back in with the doctor.  He came back to his place as the doctor began to ready two syringes.

“Maria, I love you so much,” came Benny’s words, more melodic than spoken.

“I love you too, my heart. You are my angel,” Maria said as strongly as she could, “ I think I’m ready…”

“Me too,” Benny said, not crying anymore, but smiling warmly.

Just then, he nodded at the doctor, who gave them both a shot.

Benny then climbed onto the bed with Maria, snuggling her close to him, her mouth within inches from his, and kissed her gently,

“Goodbye, my love, but not for long,” he spoke.

“Goodbye, angel Benny.”

They both closed their eyes and fell into a deep sleep from which they would never  wake, the footsteps catching up with them ferrying them into the afterlife.

*If you have an questions, please don’t be afraid to ask.*