Chapter 13: Chance Meeting

Start from the beginning

"I-Is that so....." Junpei muttered, once again recognising his lack of abilities as a Demon Slayer.

Not noticing Junpei's dark expression, Nagisa drew her katana and turned around.

"Let us rest for a while. I will be keeping watch."

Junpei nodded in agreement; he knew he was in no position to argue. He knelt on the ground and focused on getting his breaths together.

A few minutes passed, and they were once again ready to move. Junpei strengthened the bonds tying Taishi onto his back, while next to him, Nagisa stretched her body thoroughly.

——Right as they were about to restart on their way eastward.

Nagisa suddenly stopped her movements, and slowly widened her eyes.

"————a scream."

She had caught a tiny sound in her hearing —— somewhere far away, somebody had released a scream that had echoed through the forest.

——Help all those in need, with everything you can offer.

Nagisa's body was already instinctively moving towards the source of the scream, when her legs froze once again.

With a jolt, she turned around and met eyes with Junpei — an injured boy, who carried with him an unconscious comrade. 

Nagisa's mind went blank.

——I have to go help...........

——.....but I can't leave these two behind...!!

"—————Go, Nagisa-san!!"

Junpei's desperate shout snapped Nagisa out of her thoughts. The boy continued, a determined expression on his face.

"I will chase after you!! Don't mind us!!"

Nagisa's eyes widened at those words.

— but she faltered for no longer.

"———Thank you!!"

She called back right as she darted off into the trees, towards the direction of the scream.

* * *

"——Thank you!!"

Junpei released a dry laugh as he watched the grey-haired girl disappear into the forest ahead of her.

".....it's me... who have to thank you."