Chapter Three - Johanna

Start from the beginning

Emilia is the first to pull back from the hug, her face serious. "Annie. Remember what we said about Annie? You thought it was all some tactic so that people would pity her and wouldn't want to kill her? You can use that tactic, Jo. You're smart. Extremely smart."

"And you're good with an axe!" Maria chimes in, a small smile on her face as she sniffles, her face wet and her nose red.

"And you're good with an axe," Emilia repeats, nodding her head. "Convince them you're not a threat. Make them think there's no reason to kill you. But get your hands on an axe. Somehow. Get your hands on an axe and then run as far as you can from that cornucopia, and you'll be safe. But trick them for a bit. Make them want to leave you alone. Don't give them a reason to hunt you. You know," she pauses, as if waiting for me to answer.

"Yeah. The whole purity thing," I nod, biting my lip. In theory, it was a smart idea. It worked for Annie from district four, who played the part so well she looked like an innocent little girl, she even went as far as to call herself a vegetarian. It might be a bit harder for me to act like some pure little girl, but I could do it to survive, right?

Maria smiles weakly at me, but I could tell her smile was fake, because her lips were shaking slightly as she looked at me. Her eyes were welling up with tears, threatening to pour over once again. So as to not upset her—or myself—more, I put my arm around her shoulders nonchalantly, as if we were at home, fooling off at dinner time.

"So here's the plan. Em, I know you already work in the fields and part time at the doctors. For the two of you, that should be a decent income, especially if you try and eat a little less meat. Go into town as soon as you can, and try and get some canned food. That'll last you a while, and I know some of the vendors are having reaping day sales. The mayor was in here already, and he sounded like he would be a little forgiving of the rent if you guys need to pay a bit less to him, okay? Just worry about making sure you have food and water.

And Maria, I've been trying to teach you how to cook. You saw me cook that pigeon, and you've seen me roasting the canned vegetables before. Try your best to cook every night so Em gets a break, and don't waste anything, you hear me?" She nods her head, and squeezes my side nervously.

"You can store stuff in the fridge, and if we get dirt free water again, try and store that too, I forgot about that yesterday, but try and remember it in the future. That dirt free water will make sure you guys don't get sick and you can save more food. And guys," I pause, part for dramatic effect, and part because I think they were tired of hearing my voice.

"I love you," I whisper, my voice weak and shaky. In that moment, Emilia knew I was about to cry. She pulled me into a tight hug, patting on my back slowly as if to calm me down.

"You can do this Jo." She nods, and looks over at Maria for verification. Maria nods weakly, her curious eyes cloudy with tears. The peacekeepers enter the room soon after, with their white uniforms and guns, a precise dichotomy of purity and corruption. As they are escorting them out of the room, I feel myself finally letting the tears leak out of my eyes. Emilia turns over her shoulder, her pale skin and dark hair which always looked so soft and forgiving was serious:

"You're the strong one in this family. If anyone can survive this, you can. I love you."

If I wasn't crying yet, I was definitely crying now. I wipe the snot off my face with the back of my palm, and then wipe that on my dress. I then take my hands and carefully wipe my face, trying to get rid of the tears before they streak my face and give the wrong first impression of me to my mentors and partner and escort. After a few seconds of recollecting myself, the peacekeepers tell me it's time to board the train and start the journey to the capital.

I comply with them, my hands falling weakly at my side as I look ahead of me, my eyes focused purely on the path ahead. They open a door for me and nod, telling me that this is where I enter the train. Inside, I saw more decorum then I think I'd ever seem, even at the Mayor's house. There were tables lined with cloth, bounds of food, and chairs that looked ten times more comfortable than my rock hard bed. Off the pile of food lined out for us, I grabbed a slice of bread, spread some butter on it, and looked around the room. At a small table towards the back of the car, Aspen sat, sipping some kind of cold drink, which I presume to be soda, out of a glass.

I sigh as I fall into the chair, pulling a sweet—and nervous—smile across my pale face. Emilia was right. If Annie Cresta of district four could win her games as an innocent girl, I could win my games by acting like one.

I cross one leg over the other, and look across the table at my district partner, Aspen. "Are you worried about the other tributes? Like the careers?" I ask, my voice nervous and unsteady, a small glimmer of fake fear in my eyes.

Let the games begin.

——————————
hi guys!!! sorry that these chapters are a bit back and forth, but i'm not sure who i should primarily write in. what do you guys think? do you want to see more of annie or johanna?
- hannah :)