Payal looked at Akash who stood up and took Ashu in his arms. 'Go on Payal.'

Mamaji, Anjali and Shyam joined them. Soon Khushi brought hot piping parathas and began serving them.

'Now will you tell us why you asked us all to assemble for breakfast?' Naniji asked her daughter-in-law.

'I just wanted to let you all know that my nephew Naren is getting engaged this evening.' She announced looking smug.

'What?' Akash was stunned at the sudden announcement. 'NK is getting engaged? Is maasi here?'

'Yes she is here for the engagement. But she decided to stay with NK,at his flat. She is uncomfortable coming here.' She looked at Khushi pointedly.

'Isn't this a little sudden? Akash said.

'This was the exact same question people asked me after Arnav and Khushi's wedding.'

Akash was visibly embarrassed at his mother's snide remark.

Arnav stood up. 'I have to get to work,' he said looking at Khushi, indicating her to come up with a small movement of his head. Khushi acknowledged that with her eyes and the slightest smile on her lips. This entire exchange went unnoticed by everyone except for one man – Shyam. He fisted his hands in frustration.

Khushi came into the room just as Arnav unplugged his laptop from the power source, so he could pack his bag.

'What's wrong with mami?' he said winding up the wire of his laptop. 'Why does she just sit around and order you about like that?'

Khushi picked up his coat from the bed and walked up to him. 'Arnav this is a joint family. You have been away too long.'

'Joint family doesn't mean that one person works her a** off all the time.'

'Let it go Arnav.'

Arnav pursed him lips in exasperation. 'Be ready by five,' he said when Khushi helped him with his coat. 'The party is in Mr Malhotra's farm house. It will take some time to get there.' Arnav looked as handsome as ever in his charcoal grey suit and white shirt.

Khushi's eyes widened. 'Are we going to Narenji's engagement party?'

'Why?' Arnav asked her, adjusting his sleeve. 'Is there a problem?'

'It's just that ...I thought ....'

'Khushi, he is the one who didn't turn up at the wedding. He is the one who should be ashamed of himself. Why should we avoid him?'

'But ---'

He turned around to look at her, his brown eyes serious. 'We are going there tonight on Mr Malhotra's invitation.'

A lock of his hair fell across his forehead and Khushi's heart skipped a beat. 'You already knew about this?'

'Yes I did,' he agreed. 'Don't worry, I am not going to rough up your Narenji,' he assured her. 'That's what you were worried about, weren't you?'

'No.' She shook her head even though her almond eyes reflected her guilt.

'And before I forget,' he said fastening his tie, 'be ready to go to Agra this Saturday. We have to meet Mr Sheik.'

'Again? But I have classes in the weekend.'

'I think it is time you made some changes Khushi.'

'What about the office?' Khushi said in a low voice, dreading what he was going to say.

'Do you want to work in the office?'

'Not really --' She paused. How could she tell him that she needed the money for her parents? Marriage changed everything, Khushi thought with dismay. 'It's just that ---'