The Moon's Princess- Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I slowly slipped on the silken gown that father said I had to wear. It was white as a winter's snow, and covered in lace. Even though I would never admit it aloud, it was gorgeous. I sighed as I brushed a comb through my soft hair.

"Chan, are you as worried about this as I am?" I shuddered, turning to my best friend who was lounging on my couch reading a magazine.

She had been my childhood playmate, and we still got along frightfully well. We both complimented the other's personality.

"Nope. James will protect me." Chanel teased, "He's so strong…"

Oh yes. Chanel's soon-to-be-mate, James. He was also one of my friends. I guess that was one of the reasons I was so happy for her.

I shot my well built, blonde friend a deadly look, "You know how much I hate this."

"I don't know why," Chanel said as she barked out a laugh, "You are gorgeous. I don't know why having men look at your body bothers you so… you should gloat in the attention." She followed the comment with an evil smile. "I hope you know I've been holding off on James all this time because I was worried about you."

My look softened, "At least you know that he would do anything for you. I'm scared. Completely and honestly terrified. Someone might decide to go after me just because my father is the chief."

Chanel looked at me gravely, "That's why you must run the fastest. Men are coming from all around for this, from clans all the way up into Canada."

I looked at her and felt my face pale, "People are even crossing the border?"

Chanel looked at me like a teacher reprimanding a child, "Spunk up. Where is my feisty little AJ?"

"She's flown south for the winter." I snapped.

"There's my darling…" Chanel cooed.

"Go run in a forest!" I shouted.

"I already will be, and you'll be running with me!" Chanel laughed.

Right at that moment, my father walked in, "You girls ready yet?"

"Unfortunately." I sighed.

"Yep!" Chanel smiled.

"Now Lissa," my father laughed, "Why can't you be as excited about this as Chanel is?"

"Because I don't have a man who's willing to be my freaking human shield every time I step out into the bloody sun." I rolled my eyes as my father and Chanel were thrown into a laughing fit.

Father cleared his throat, "Chanel, will you be joining Lissa in the circle of elders?"

Chanel and I both stared at him, "What?"

"Now, Alyssa you know you have to stay in the center of the circle of the elders until we reach the forest." The aging Alpha then turned to my best friend, "Will you be joining her, Chanel? I'm sure it would make her feel more confident, and even Mother Moon knows she needs as much help as she can get." He chuckled sorrowfully.

"S-s-sure?" Chanel stuttered.

"Excellent! Shall we go then?" Father laughed as he pushed us into a circle of the most respected and oldest men in the tribe.

"Chan?" I whispered twenty minutes later, "I'm frightened."

"Take my hand then. Even I'm getting unnerved in this circle…" Chanel whispered back, gripping my small hand tightly.