"Well we have a legal contract backing our claim to the throne, so I say we continue to fight for it unless we can convince King Charles to stop these forces."

"And do you think you will be able to convince King Charles? From what is being spoken of at court," one of the guards spoke up, "no one has seen him in weeks. His mental state must be very bad indeed if he is being locked up in his room away from the eyes of the rest of the court."

"There are multiple obstacles in bringing up this topic with King Charles," Hal started, thinking back to Maribel and the bruise that painted her face, "We have to proceed cautiously. We will only know the best course of action to take once we get a chance to see him in person, Catherine may be the only one permitted to see him at this point." He looked over at his wife who was clearly troubled, "So we will go off of her advice."

Now all the men in the room were looking at her, she straightened her posture and replied evenly, "I will report to you as soon as I have had a chance to see him and determine his mental state."

The group nodded and continued speaking of plans of what they would do if they did indeed need to continue their battle. Catherine stood up at this point and went and stood on the balcony of their guest room that overlooked a garden below.

From her position two stories up, she could see a few ladies of the French court gathered in the garden below, having tea and no doubt gossiping about what had transpired that morning. Her fingers gripped the stone balcony when she saw Maribel approach the group of ladies, all of them immediately making room for her at the table and awkwardly trying to avoid looking at the damage to her face. Catherine wondered how many times this group of ladies had seen Maribel in a state like this, how many times this topic had been avoided and discussed secretly among the court. How many times her friend had been hurt.

She turned around, her back now to the group and leaning against the balcony, unable to look down any longer while also unable to go back inside the room. She found herself again, as she constantly seemed to find herself since her marriage, torn between loyalties.

Loyalty to her dear childhood friend who would suffer if Catherine tried to bring up the battles to her father. Loyalty to her duty and countries, to try to and talk some sense into her father if at all possible, to save the lives of countless French and English soldiers. Loyalty to her husband and son, who would have the legal right to the French throne if her father passed. And loyal to her father, who surely must be suffering immensely if they won't even let him leave his room.

She raked her fingers through her hair and thought of her son, of his round face and chubby arms and legs. She wished she was with him, this was the longest she had been away from him since he was born. She needed him now more than ever, he seemed to melt away the problems of the world with just one look, one giggle, one burp.

She looked into the room of men strategizing their next moves, she looked at her husband whom she had not seen for a year before this trip. She noticed that she was smiling, at least she had Hal.

----------------------------------

A few hours later, Catherine found herself seated in the study room that was conjoined to her father's chambers, the door conjoining the two rooms shut.

Lord Ansel, Maribel, and Lord Beaufort also sat in the room with Catherine. Lord Ansel looking impatient, tapping his fingers along the arm of his chair, Maribel looking down in somber silence, and Lord Beaufort sweating in his seat clearly uncomfortable. Hal had been right, they wouldn't let him join in on the meeting, stating it would be too much stress on King Charles.

Catherine had tried to strike up a conversation with Maribel a couple of times since arriving in the room, but her usually an outgoing and outspoken friend, would only dare eye contact and a small side smile in response. After a few attempts, Catherine stopped trying, not wanting to make things worse for her friend than they already were.

When there was some sound of shuffling and footsteps from the other side of the wall, Lord Ansel perked up and directed toward Catherine, "No funny business. Remember the consequences if you bring up anything about the battles."

From her perspective, Catherine could see Maribel's posture sink in her chair and even see Lord Beaufort tense up.

At that, her own father walked into the room, followed by a guard and a doctor.

Catherine shot up from her chair, excitement taking over, her own father looking at her with momentary confusion and then a moment of clarity.

"Ma fille!" He said, his arms opening up, beckoning her to him, "Ma Catherine!"

"Papa!" Catherine responded with tears in her eyes and ran into his arms with a warm embrace.

This was the moment that she had been needing for over a year now, to know that he was alive and being taken care of, even if he was falling ill. She let the tears fall freely, not caring who saw.

"Tu es si belle, tout comme ta mère." You look so beautiful, just like your mother, he said grabbing her face and wiping away a few tears, "S'il vous plaît, asseyez-vous, asseyez-vous." Please, sit, sit. He patted on the seat next to him on the couch he was sitting down on, "On dirait que nous avons une réunion." It looks like we are having a reunion, he said with a glance around the room.

This was a good sign, Catherine thought, he seemed to be fully aware, a good day. Looking back on this day, Catherine wished she could live in these few moments longer, stretch them and expand and feel them all over again.

"Comment vas-tu Papa?" How are you, papa? Catherine asked eagerly.

"Attendons que ta mère et les garçons puissent se joindre à nous avant de commencer à nous rattraper." Let's wait for your mother and the boys to join us before we start catching up, he replied patting her hand.

Catherine frowned, "C'est juste moi, père," It's just me, father, "S'il te plait, comment vas-tu?" Please tell me, she asked desperately, how are you doing?

"N'aie pas l'air si inquiète ma fille," Don't look so worried my daughter, he reached over and gave her cheek a tender touch, "Je viens de faire de l'équitation ce matin. Je suis dans la meilleure forme de ma vie!" I just went horseback riding this morning, I am in the best shape of my life!

Catherine looked around the room, Lord Ansel just seemed annoyed, while Lord Beaufort did have a genuine look of sadness on his face at King Charles current state. When she looked over at the doctor in the room, he simply shook his head no, confirming that her father was thinking of a time when he was younger, he hadn't been horseback riding in years.

"C'est super papa. C'était une belle balade?" That's great papa, Catherine finally said with a hint of sadness, Was it a lovely ride?

She listened on as her father talked about his imaginary ride that morning, the health of the horse, the state of the roads, all with great detail as if he truly was reliving a day from his youth.

Even though she knew what this meant for England and France, she enjoyed the pleasant conversation and company of her father while she could.