Diaries and Duels

Start from the beginning

Margaret merely shrugged. "If you say so."

Eustace paused, then...

"They said you died. You mentioned about... a foretold death."

"I did."

"Well that's just- It's ridiculous... Isn't it?"

"If you think that's ridiculous, just wait til you hear all about how I'm from your world's future."

Eustace blinked.

"Now hang on a minute--"

"Yes, the future. Cross my heart."

"No no," Eustace said. "I meant... You said my world? You're from there?"

"That's right. Just in the future," she said.

"They called you sister."

Margaret hesitated. "Yes... Though in truth, I'm more than that."

Her gaze wandered across the deck, to where Edmund and Lucy sat, talking with Reepicheep.

Eustace followed her gaze.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

She looked back at him, wondering if she ought to say something...

"Susan was my grandmother," she admitted after a long moment.

His surprise was evident.

"But- No, that's highly illogical..."

Margaret laughed softly. "It's true. We're blood. Let's see, I think that would make you and I... first cousins twice removed? Something like that. But I call Edmund and Lucy and the others siblings, so I suppose just cousin would do, if you prefer. Much simpler that way, if I do say so myself."

Eustace said nothing, and Margaret feared that she had perhaps overwhelmed him with all that she had said.

"I shall leave you to it, then," she said, nodding at his little notebook. She stood upright, away from the barrel she had been leaning against, and turned to go.

Before she had gotten out of hearing range, she heard the faintest murmur of, "Yes... much simpler. Cousin."

And she walked away with a smile on her face.

She heard her name called, and turned to see Caspian striding over from across the deck. When he came close enough, she leaned up to place a kiss upon his cheek. After their conversation last night, she had no hesitations about showing her affection for him, even publicly.

The smile that brightened his face was one that she had not seen in a long time.

"What can I do for you, My Lord?" she asked playfully.

Caspian laughed. "Well, My Lady, it occurred to me that I may have some items of yours in my possession which I have thus far forgotten to return. Your bow and your sword are in my cabin, and this..." He produced the compass from his belt. "Belongs to you."

Margaret grinned. "Sure you don't want to keep it?"

"Last time, you refused it because of what you foresaw. Now, you've been brought here to aid me in my quest. Thus, your destiny is tied to mine, and the compass shall guide us just as well in your hands."

"Sound reasoning," she replied with a laugh. She accepted the compass from him and tied it to her own belt. "Now... if you don't mind, I think I'd like to fetch my sword, so that we might have a duel."

"A duel?" Caspian seemed surprised, but not resistant to the idea.

"Of course! You remember how I used to best you when I was training you at the How..."