Two of Ryan's pack leap at me; one grabs me by my arm and shakes it around like a rabbit, the other grabs my leg by the wound and digs their fangs as deep as they will go into the wound. I scream out in pain involuntarily and I try to push him off my leg with my other foot; which only succeeds to rip the wound open even more. I can't help but scream in agony

Suddenly, the wolf biting my leg is bowled aside; as are the other wolf and Ryan. Ryan's pack turns their attention from me, snarling and baring their teeth to face their attackers. I push myself up onto my side as I am approached by a wolf-like canine; not one of Ryan's but one of my own. My pack of high-content wolf dogs has finally come to my aid - just like I thought they would.

One sniff of my leg and my Beta immediately heads for the wolf that injured me, not giving the pack member a chance to avoid them.

How dare you hurt my Alpha! she snarls in his face as she pins him down. Get them! She growls to the others.

The rest of the pack follows her command; three are left standing in front of me to protect me. Ryan and those that weren't changed into wolves have now been forced to and they are fighting a fight that they can't win. No one can win against a pack of angry wolf-dogs - not even teenage werewolf jocks.

I look over my shoulder as I hear more paw-steps heading my way and I see a dark grey wolf come over the rise; his teeth bared at Ryan and ears flat to his head. His blue eyed gaze looks for me and finally finds me, lying in the dirt. He starts to come towards me and, instantly, one of the wolf-dogs that is guarding me turns and charges at him; letting out blood-thirsty snarls.

Don't you dare attack our Alpha, outsider! he snarls.

Nehali - no! I bark warningly. Nehali skids to a halt. Keeping his ears back, lips peeled up and fur bristling,he stands stock still and staring at the stranger; waiting for my command. He's no threat - he's my friend. Let him pass!

Nehali relaxes and re-takes his position in the line as I scramble on my two hands and foot to get to Chase. He swiftly changes to human form as I make my way towards him and he holds me up as I reach him. He was glowing white like the other werewolves, so I knew who he was the moment he came over the rise.

"I saw a pack of...those wolves heading...your way." He pants as he hugs me where I crouch. "I thought they were... going to hurt you... too."

"No, they wouldn't. I'm their Alpha; they wouldn't try to kill me." I reply, gritting my teeth as I try to get up. He gently helps me to my foot and I get up just in time to see Ryan's pack racing back into the woods with ten angry wolf-dogs on their tails.

That's enough! Let them go! I call. Chase looks at me in bewilderment as he props me up and I tilt my head. Does he not know how to talk to wild wolves? My pack comes back to me and my Beta walks up to my side. Chase moves to block me from them and the Beta lets out a small snarl.

"It's all right. That's my Beta, Fly. " I explain, gently pushing him back to stand at my side. I turn to Fly. Thanks for the assist, Fly. I doubt I would be here breathing right now if it weren't for you.

Fly dips her head. You're my Alpha - it's my duty to protect you from scum like those humans-wolves. She turns her head and growls in the direction Ryan had fled. They won't hurt you again on our territory if they know what's good for them.

She turns her head back to Chase and narrows her eyes. Speaking of humans-wolves, who is this male? Fly partially growls as she nods her head at him.

His name is Chase - he's a friend of the pack. You or any of the others are not allowed to attack him unless I say so, got it? I say, letting a snarl enter my voice as a warning to show I'm serious.

Fly dips her head and the rest of the pack follows suit. Yes, Alpha. They say in unison.

Good. Now go - you are all dismissed. I say. The pack runs off almost immediately; leaving a bewildered Chase and me alone.

I suddenly feel very, very tired and my only good leg collapses out from underneath me. Chase moves with the movement of me nearly falling and tries to help me stand again, but I don't have the energy as I sit in the dirt; on the verge of fainting once more.

"Dakini? Dakini - hey!" calls Chase softly, using his chest to keep my head from flopping over. I can faintly hear his heartbeat, and my vision responds by changing back to normal. "Don't collapse on me again. Hang in there."

"My...my place..." I manage to croak out. I try to stand but my legs won't cooperate. "W..we need...t...to..."

Chase scoops his arm under my legs, while using the other to hold my front end up. I weakly wrap my arms around his neck as I realise what he's doing. I don't bother finishing my sentence because I can't.

"I know, I know. Hold on. Stay with me." He murmurs as he turns and sprints for my house. I can't tell if my vision is blurry from exhaustion, blood loss or how fast Chase is running.

Within minutes, he comes to a halt on my back deck. He gently rests me against the wall and I point wearily to the small pocket on my backpack, where my key is. I barely have the strength to move, so speaking is out of the question - plus I get the feeling Chase would only tell me to save my strength...what's left of it anyway. I forgot I hadn't told him that my key was in my backpack when I told him to run. He returns to my side with the key and he puts it in the lock, quickly getting it open within seconds. He grabs my backpack and, like I weigh nothing, scoops me up in his arms once more. I don't have the energy to lift my hands to wrap them around his neck, but I trust that he's not going to drop me.

As soon as Chase sets foot in the door, Pippin comes rushing towards him - barking furiously and letting out angry snarls once she catches whiff of my blood-scent.

"P...pippin ...No. A-Amigo...C-chase es amigo..." I say to her, but my voice is so raspy that it comes out more like a whisper. Pippin stands down and let's Chase pass as he makes for the living room. I've placed one of my hands on my wound as hard as I can, but I'm so exhausted that it's not enough to stop the blood flow.

He gently lays me on my back on the sofa and presses one of his hands where my wound is; applying the pressure that I cannot. "Keep fighting, Dakini...Stay awake...Stay with me.." He mutters. "I'm not letting you die like this..."

He removes his hand from mine, which is pressed hard into the wound now, and heads for the cupboard underneath the sink. I haven't told him where our first aid kit is, but I'm guessing the scent of antiseptic must be strong; I can't tell because I'm so tired. Good thing we restocked during the week...

Then, as he comes back the hallway door opens. And Mum stands in the doorway, with her pistol raised to shoot Chase straight in the chest.