Chapter 6

The progress Vulcans had made since the destruction of their planet was exceptional, to say the least.  Families had their own rudimentary dwellings, solidly constructed with every necessity to a desert lifestyle.  A government building had been erected, and alongside various mass replication facilities and distribution centers stood enough medical centers to cater to all the refugees and visitors, regardless of their species of origin.

It was at one of these medical centers that Spock and Jim met with one Doctor Geoffrey M’Benga, and Jim’s reaction to the man was telling.

“Spock, you didn’t tell me the doctor we’d be seeing would be human,” he said, voice barely audible.  The tiniest flitter of irritation made its way through the bond, and Spock nodded.  What can he tell us that Bones can’t?

“Dr. M’Benga specializes in Vulcan physiology, and has also has extensive knowledge of human genetics,” Spock explained.  “Of all those stationed on New Vulcan, he is the most appropriate choice in the matter.”

The doctor smirked.  “You’ve brought the records?” he asked.  Spock handed him the PADD he’d gotten from Dr. McCoy.  M’Benga traced the stylus down it once, then set it aside.  “I’ll run my own scans.”

Another flash of irritation came from Jim.

“What are we scanning for?” he asked.  M’Benga raised an eyebrow.

“I’d forgotten how it felt to be the recipient of a ‘tone’.  Kind of nice,” he shrugged, turning to activate a scanner.  “I’m going to do a full genetic profile.  With the equipment here, I should be able to project a growth pattern both in and extra-utero.  That’ll make it possible to determine whether Spock’s muscular development is going to hinder their growth.”

Spock nodded his approval to the doctor.  “That would be valuable information,” he agreed.  Jim cupped his chin.

“And you said you could project their growth patterns?” Jim inquired.  M’Benga nodded.  After only a brief pause, Jim shook his head.  “Just do the in-utero projections.  I don’t want to see my kids grow up on a screen if I can see it in person instead.”

M’Benga chuckled.  “You don’t have to see it, but I’m doing them right up to age six,” he said, finally lifting the wand from the scanner.  “This won’t take too long.”

Jim reached two fingers out, and Spock returned the gesture immediately, watching the progress on the scanner.  Jim may not have been interested in post-natal growth, but Spock certainly was.  Their physical growth was essentially decided already.  It would not change in time.  Their personalities and intellectual growth, however, could never be predicted.

That was more than enough a surprise for him.

The scan completed quickly enough, and M’Benga moved silently to download the information onto his PADD.  Spock watched Jim’s eyes follow the man, and the slightest inkling of distrust seeped through the bond into Spock’s subconscious.

He has done nothing to warrant any suspicions, Jim, he reminded his mate.  Jim frowned, wariness evident even on his expression.

I don’t know.  I just don’t like him.

It was irrational, but Jim’s mind had been made.  Spock knew nothing he said could amount to any degree of change in that.  He moved to cross his arms, attempting to ignore the slight discomfort of his healing sternum shifting.

Growthजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें