Chapter 46: The Slug Club

Start from the beginning

"Look at her eyes." Mione whispered to Harry, "Her and Dean have been fighting again." Harry nodded but continued to stare at Ginny.

"That's alright, we still have dessert." Professor chuckled and motioned for her to sit down. Once Ginny approached the table Harry suddenly stood up and everyone turned to look at him.

What are you doing?!

"Sit down." I muttered and he did so at the same time as Ginny did.

Why don't you just admit you have a thing for her?

Mione and I both grinned at Harry as he sat down and he scowled.

"What?!" He growled at us.

"Nothing." We both said and smiled mischievously.

I glanced around the table and watched as Cormac stared intently at Mione and sucked ice cream off his finger slowly. Ewe. Mione would never. Her eyes widened and she turned to look at her ice cream, making me stifle my laughter. That was awkward.

When we finally got out of Slughorn's dinner, Harry had decided to stay behind to get information out of him and Draco was waiting for me outside, which we only realized by bumping into him.

"Malfoy." My sister grumbled and I nudged her. Yeah, ever since me and him have been fighting she doesn't like him anymore, that is if she ever liked him in the first place.

"Granger." He said politely and turned to me with a small smile on his face, "Kat, ready?"

"Yeah, we just finished up here." I smiled when he took off his blazer and wrapped it around my shoulders. Much better. "I'll see you later Mione."

"Yeah, just leave. It's fine. It's not like I'm your only sister and you're leaving me for--"

"Hermione, was it?" All of us turned when we heard a sudden voice interrupt Mione. It was Cormac. Mione's look of surprise and disappointment made me laugh.

"Yes." She said simply and tried not to look at him.

"Well, I'd be happy to walk you back to your dorm." He extended his arm for her to link hers through it but she simply looked at it.

"Actually..." she turned to me and walked to be right next to me, "I'm going back with my sister. We have a lot to do." She looked up at me with a pleading look on her face. Payback time little sis.

"I actually have to go with Draco to Slytherin. You can go on ahead with Cormac." I smiled at her despite her glares.

"Great, let's go." Cormac put a hand on her back and led her away, as she turned the corner she mouthed to me You'll pay for this.

Sure. I mouthed back and laughed.

"You're pure evil, you know that, right?" Draco teased.

"Yes, I fit exactly into the Slytherin stereotype."

"Right." Draco rolled his eyes and I shoved him, "I don't like that one anyway, he seems to be... ill-intentioned."

"Mione can hold her own, trust me."

"I know, I just really don't like him for some reason."

"You don't like anyone."

"Except for you." He slung an arm around my shoulders and we started walking to our common room.

"You don't like me either, only sometimes."

"Yeah, barely tolerate you."

"But I get what you mean, I don't like him for Mione either. I'll just pass by her dorm later and check in." I shrugged.

"Fine. Let's go."

"Can I ask you something?"

"Uh oh. That's never good." He teased.

"Why do you always mysteriously disappear? I mean, you could be walking somewhere for a while and suddenly you're no longer there."

"Kat, can we please not do this again?"

"I'm just asking, it's odd." I tried to explain.

"You disappeared all the time last year, I didn't say anything about it."

"You always said something about it."

"Alright, I did. But needn't you worry about me, I'm fine."

"But--"

"Kat..." he warned.

"Fine. So, what do you want to do tonight?"

"I don't know."

"Let's narrow it down to two options: jump off the Astronomy tower or set the divination room on fire. You choose." He rolled his eyes at my sarcasm.

"I choose the Astronomy tower."

"How's that gonna work? Should I push you down first or you me?"

"Or we could jump together."

"I like that idea, therefore if I chicken out after pushing you I won't feel guilty."

"Yes, that makes complete sense." He nodded at me. "So, who else was at that dinner?"

"Cormac, Neville, Ginny, Elvis, Harry, and umm... Blaise." I whispered the last word and saw his jaw tighten. "No, come on. I told you there's nothing going on."

"I know. I still don't love that he always seems to be there when I'm not."

"That wasn't my fault, Slughorn invited me."

"Right." I rolled my eyes at him and he tugged on my hand, "fine, fine. So, did he say why he chose you?"

"He said he thought I had 'untapped potential', that I was different from the other slytherins."

"Obviously you are. Potential to what?"

"For healing. So, you know how I am doing pretty well in my classes, but especially in potions and transfiguration?"

"And DADA." He pointed out.

"Yeah, I guess. Well, he thought that my success in these classes could lead to a bigger career in the future as a healer."

"That's great Kitty."

"I mean yeah, I would like to consider that. But that'll mean I need to pass my N.E.W.T.S with outstanding scores and then spend years in Healer school."

"You're smart, you'll pass those tests with great scores. And Healer school will eventually be over. Plus, you don't have to decide anything yet."

"Yeah, I have a year."

"RIght." Draco's mind shifted off into another world but I simply kept walking, hoping he wasn't thinking too negatively about anything. He always has such a pessimistic attitude. I think we could get through this year fine, I hope.

Boy was I wrong.