chapter 2 - new girl

september 1st, 1998 at 12 pm

we're 1 hour in, and so far all i've done is overthink everything. not a particularly good start, but its not unusual for me to do that.

i dont know why my parents decided 'oh yeah! lets move to the UK! and lets take the kids with us!!' i mean, i love meeting new people but i had to leave all my friends behind in america. but, that means no one knows anything about me yet, other than i'm a new girl from america so i have a clean slate. i can be anything i want and no one will question it. but if i start acting some way i should probably stay like that. you know. to avoid confusion.

i'm kinda stressed because i know the second my grade lowers ill get a letter from my father saying 'SCARLETT BRIDGES! STOP FOOLING AROUND AND FOCUS ON SCHOOL.'

my father's a bore. all he cares about is school. i mean, he is a teacher. but that doesn't mean anything. he's like elian. well at least elian can have fun. the only times my father smiles is when.. well. im not sure. i dont remember the last time i saw him smile.

WAIT actually i do. it was when all three of us got accepted into hogwarts. hooray.

my mom is the opposite. well, she does appreciate good grades, but she's a lot more... loving. i sometimes feel bad for her. i mean, why did she get with him? she told me once that he was a lot more compassionate when they fell in love, but they slowly fell out of love. i hope i dont end up like that.

my mind wanders back to the sorting hat. i mean, ravenclaw? that's so... boring. if i get sorted into ravenclaw i would be with my siblings probably, but do i even want to be in the same house as them? i'm not sure. i love them, and their presence, but i always prefer being alone. thats how i got into writing.

it started with lists. i would write tons of lists about whatever. my favorite foods (apple pie), favorite movies (the princess bride), or what my dream house would look like (giant victorian mansion with green detailing). then i moved on to short stories, my friend and i would send them to eachother. oh how i'll miss her. her name was sydney, but i called her syd, and she would call me sky. syd and sky. we would pretend to be in a reality show called 'syd in the sky' when we were 8. after i started writing short novels, teachers noticed my writing skills. now i write books. they get me excited to write what happens next. i could honestly spend the whole day just daydreaming about what will happen next. i dont know, its exciting.

anyways, i'm gonna guess what will happen when i get there. first, i'll probably get sorted into ravenclaw, and so will amber and elian. then, we'll go to the common rooms and i'll get my dorm. i'll unpack my clothes into my closet, and then head down real quick to the cafeteria- or whatever you call it here in scotland. probably something fancy, like the dining hall, or the great eating place! im not sure.

it's been about 4 hours since we left the station.

"how much longer till we get there amber?" i say. elian jumps in his seat, frightened by my sudden remark. "approximately 4 more hours scarlett." elian mutters. i see he's moved on to another pamphlet: "Fascinating Short Stories about Scotland".

"i wasn't asking you. but thanks." he glares at me. "i guess." i mumble. i notice amber hasn't moved for some time now.

"amber?" i ask. her head is rested on the wall, and her eyes are closed. is she asleep? has she fainted?!

"she's fine scarlett." i guess he noticed my expression. i sigh. elian is especially annoying today. i wonder if it's because he's nervous for our first day. first impressions are very important to him, especially to teachers and administration. so, amber is asleep, and elian is busy studying usless facts about scotland. i look at elian studying the pamplet with his legs crossed. he eyes me, and looks back down. he couldn't care less about me right now.

"i need to go to the bathroom." i declare as i stand up.

i purposely step on elian's feet as i walk to the door and laugh quietly.

"watch it. these are new." new my ass. those were father's from YEARS ago. i scoff and impatiently open the door, and close it behind me.

the train is quiet, all i can hear is some occasional laughter or conversations slightly louder than the rest.

i look to my left and see a corridor of closed compartments, and to my right the same, but a door at the end with a sign on it that says "Toilet." there's the bathroom! it's weird how they call it the 'toilet' instead of the bathroom or restroom here in the UK. no matter, i start walking to the end of the hallway when i hear someone.

"psst!"

i spin around, looking for whoever said that. after being unsuccessful, i turn back to the bathroom.

"blondie!"

a boy says somewhere behind me. i turn and see one of the compartments' door open, and in there 3 people staring at me. 2 boys, and 1 girl. one boy with a short haircut wearing circular glasses, another with orange hair and one eyebrow raised, and the girl had curly hair and was glaring at me rather inquisitively.

"yes?"

the girl quickly stands up from her seat, smiling.

"american huh?"

i see the other two just sitting there, staring.

"uh yeah... do you need something?" i ask nervously.

the boy with orange hair shakes his head and the girl says, "no, we didn't recognize you so we were quite curious to see who you were."

"oh.. well yeah i'm new."

"duh." the orange haired boy mumbles. i stare at him and his eyes widen. the girl whacks his head.

"sorry mate! didn't mean to come off as rude." he says, rubbing his head where the girl hit him. i should probably stop calling her 'the girl'...

"it's okay, what are your names?"

the girl points to the boy with the glasses and says, "that's harry potter, that's ron weasley," she points to the other boy, "and i'm hermoine granger." she says, sticking her hand out for a handshake.

"and, you are?"

i shake her hand, "scarlett. scarlett bridges." i quickly add on. i had noticed she said everyone's last names so i figured i might as well say mine.

she smiles and tilts her head, studying my face.

"brilliant! would you like to sit with us?"

i look at ron and harry, looking to see if they were okay with that. after all, i am some random person they just met. i see both of their faces awkwardly smiling. is that a yes?

"sure." i say, smiling.

my siblings wouldn't mind, elian didn't even care about me leaving, all he cared about was his "new" shoes. (which, again, aren't new. i dont know who he's trying to fool with that statement because those shoes do not look new whatsoever.)

i forget going to the bathroom, because i didn't even need to go, i just wanted to look around the train if i'm being honest.

i sit down next to hermoine. there's some awkward silence until she says,

"so... what house do you think you'll get sorted into?"