chapter 2: Sara

Sara was dangerous.
She had no limits. She knew better than to waste her time staying safe. She had been on the road for over a year already, not knowing her destination.

Her brother told her of his place in New York, and that she could go stay at if she ever needed a real roof over her head. Usually Sara was fine with the cloth and metal roof of her bug, but still, she was yearning to live in a proper home, with the only family that still accepted her.

When she first left, a bit longer than a year ago, she had not planned it very much. Knowing how her parents would react to the news, she didn’t tell them. She told only her brother, who had left home a while before her. They were the only two to understand each other. Though they were 4 years apart in age, they always felt they were more like twins.

Even as he moved downtown when he turned eighteen, they still kept in touch. He helped her fix an old bug a few weeks before he left so that when she was ready, she could drive away. That was often her response to conflict, when she encountered it.
Though she didn’t tell her parents, they knew she was planning to leave. Her things had been sitting in her bug for days before she left. She knew living on the road was reckless.

But after sixteen months of nearly nothing but driving, Sara was tired of being reckless.
She had to go to New York. She missed having a home. She missed her brother. And she missed belonging somewhere.
A long drive, she knew, but it was definitely worth it, as she is about to find out.

wc: 296