Chapter One

Underneath The Scars

Chapter One - Finn Miles

I knew approximately four things about Finn Miles.

Firstly, he was worshipped as some sort of Greek God at our school. You know the type, I’m sure. A boy with a smile that girls claimed was carved by angels and awe-inspiring abs he showed off with fitted t-shirts.

Secondly, he had tried to hook up with Leila Richards behind the sports hall last year but, according to Leila, couldn’t get it up.

Thirdly, he was smart. As if the good looks, endless talent and never ending female attention was not enough, he also got top marks in every quiz he had ever done, not to mention straight A’s in every single subject he took.

Lastly, if he continued to stare at me the way he had been doing for the past three days, I was definitely not below punching him in his angelic grin.

                                                                ***

“It’s kind of creepy that he’s suddenly started staring at you, Eden. Did you do something to him?”

I sighed heavily, crushing the empty crisp packet in my hands and dropping it onto the table. I looked at Harris, my best and only friend, and rolled my eyes.

“Like what?”

Harris shrugged and took a huge bite of his chicken sandwich, lovingly crafted in the early hours of the morning by his mother. We were known throughout school as Scarface and The Elephant. Names so carefully created by our lovely peers. Sure, Harris was, at most, fifteen pounds overweight, but he was, in my humble opinion, very good-looking. Not that my opinion counted for jack shit.

Once he had swallowed his mouthful of chicken sandwich, Harris cocked an eyebrow at me. “I dunno. Did you give him any reason to think that you’re interested?”

I narrowed my eyes at him and pulled a face of disgust. “Not unless he mistook my expression of hatred for one of seduction,” I mused. “Although I can’t remember the last time I even looked at him before today.”

Harris glanced over at the table across the canteen where Finn Miles was surrounded by his friends, all basking in each other’s attention. It wasn’t so much that he was popular and we were outcasts, it was that we were invisible and we liked it. Harris and I were perfectly fine by ourselves. Finn Miles’s sudden interest was both irritating and unsettling, for us both.

Wearily, I followed Harris’s gaze and found that Finn was once again looking at me, a slight smile on his lips. I rolled my eyes and looked away, wishing I could slip back into the invisibility that Finn had stolen from me.

“Okay, I am not responsible for my actions if I ever see him give me that smile again.”

Harris exhaled and nodded. “Ditto.”

---

More parts coming later :)