"I do," Granger said, nodding soberly as a pert smile flitted across her lips. "That's true."

"This is your horcrux hunt, isn't it?" Draco asked, giving Harry a look. "I mean, you are the leader here, are you not?"

"Git's got a point," Weasley said, nodding smugly as he flashed Harry a knowing smile.

Harry managed a short, barking laugh. "Fine," he conceded. "You're probably right, anyway. I suppose the sword could really belong to either of us."

"Yes, I know I'm fucking right," Draco told him, raising his chin. "Now get it over with, Potter." He shuddered at the sight of the locket. "If that thing's going to try to kill us, I'd like to have it over with sooner rather than later."

"What exactly happened last time?" Granger asked, wringing her hands fretfully. "Did You-Know-Who actually come out of the diadem?"

"As far as I could tell, yes," Draco told her. "He seemed pretty solid to me."

"He was definitely solid after the diary," Harry said, cringing. "But that's also because he'd basically used up all of Ginny at that point, so - "

"Don't remind me," Weasley said grimly, a shadow passing briefly over his face. "I keep trying to forget."

"Should we all be out here?" Granger asked. "Is that wise? Maybe a couple of us should watch from afar, just in case - "

"Not a terrible idea," Draco mused, tilting his head to consider it. "Having a distraction worked well for us last time."

"Best not to show all our cards," Harry agreed, nodding. "Okay." He sighed heavily. "So I'll just - open it, then. And stab it."

"It sounds so easy," Weasley said, and then frowned. "Too easy?"

"It's not as easy as it sounds," Draco told him, shuddering at the memory. "The horcrux, it can - " He sighed. "It sounds so fucking stupid, I know, but the horcrux can see into you, somehow."

"It?" Granger echoed, giving him a startled look.

"Well, he, I suppose," Draco corrected himself, shrugging. "Even a small piece of the Dark Lord's soul is still something to be reckoned with, magically."

"You'll stay here with me," Harry stated flatly, looking at Draco. "Right? Since you know what he might do."

Draco nodded, though he was queasy at the thought. "Yes."

"And you'll have my back?" Harry asked, pivoting to face Weasley. "You and Hermione will stay in the tent, and come out if we need you?"

"Which, chances are, we will," Draco grumbled, and Granger reached for his hand, squeezing it tightly.

"Of course," she said, and Weasley nodded. "We'll be right here."

Harry looked at Draco. "Should we do this, then?"

"The sooner we get it over with, the better," Draco said hurriedly, trying again to quell the rising anxiety in his chest.

Granger kissed his cheek. "You've got this," she told him, giving him a brief smile. "And you," she said, reaching out to put her hand on Harry's shoulder. "You did say you wanted to accomplish something."

"I know, I know," Harry said, clearly fidgeting with nerves. "Okay."

He looked up at Weasley and Draco could see from the brief, shared glance that the foundation of their friendship - the loyalty that ran unfathomably deep - had not faded, despite their weeks of tension.