Silent

Tony's POV (a few days later)
We had decided to keep the engagement secret for now. No reason to get the press involved. Not like it was any of their business anyway.

Happy pulled us up to the front door of a children's home. It had a nice exterior, light blue walls and a yard. It did look quite messy. But it looked like the children had lots of toys.

We didn't call ahead though knowing someone would spill the secret. Me and Pepper walked up to the door and Happy drove off. I raised a shaky hand to knock on the door.

I glanced over at Pepper. She was tapping her foot and messing with the black pom pom on her wallet. She must've noticed I was looking at her because she flashed me a smile.

"Don't give me your business smile Pep. I know that you're just as nervous as I am." I said quietly.

She gave me an odd look and opened her mouth only to shut it again when the door opened.

"No Tom, I don't think we were expecting anyone— oh!" A middle aged lady had open the door. She had brown hair that was tied up in a messy bun and brown eyes. "Your— you are— I.." she stuttered. She cleared her throat.

"Sorry. You caught us by surprise. Are you here for..." she hesitated.

"We are here to meet the children." Pepper said in her business voice. It was a bit softer as not to sound intimidating.

"Sorry we didn't call. It... was a last minute thing." I told her. She smiled.

"No, no, that's quite all right. Come on in. I'm Reilly." She opened the door wider and we walked in. She closed it behind us.

We walked into a big living room, it was clean overall. The only exception being the toys laying on the floor.

"Watch your step!" She said throwing her arm out and stopping us from going any farther. Then I noticed legos on the ground in front of us. We stepped around the legos and carefully made our way to a hallway.

"The kids are getting ready for lunch and..." she stopped. I could hear the faint sound of crying.

"Peter?" Reilly asked. I didn't see anyone anywhere but she moved over towards a corner. "Why don't you go get ready for lunch with the other kids? Okay?"

I leaned to look at who see was talking to and saw a little boy. She had helped him up off the floor. He hurried pass me and Pepper but I noticed a gold and red mask in his hands.

"Is he a Iron Man fan?" I asked as I watched the boy disappear around a corner. She shrugged.

"I think so. He hardly ever lets go of the thing. He even came here with it." She told us, we followed her into another room. It was a dining room.

Children were running in and out and some older kids, they looked only about 9 to 10 years old, were setting the table along with a man who I assumed was Tom.

"Sorry if you are looking for older kids. We aren't housing any at the moment." Reilly apologized.

"Only because you're so good at housing kids!" Tom shouted with a smile.

At his words all the kids looked at us. The older ones seemed surprised, probably knew that I had other work then just Iron Man.

One of the little boys ran up to me. Jumping up down.

"Your Iron Man!" He shouted. At the the rest of the kids perked up.

"Oh my word you are sooooooo cool!!"

"Can we go for a fly?"

The kids started asking tons of questions and I smiled. They all were so pure.

"Peter? Why don't you say hello to our guest?" Reilly asked. I looked around to see the kid from before had slipped passed us and was standing a few feet away.

I smiled softly at the kid. I bent down so I was at his level.

"Hey Peter." I said. He didn't move.

"Can I talk to you two for a minute?" Reilly asked. Pepper nodded and we went out into the hallway.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"Well... it just seems you like Peter and I don't like to discourage people from adopting and I feel like you and Peter could work things out..." she started.

"But?" Pepper asked there was worry in her tone.

"But he doesn't talk. We don't know if he hit his head or if he chooses not to talk. His last living relatives died at the Stark Expo. His aunt May and uncle Benjamin."

I couldn't speak. His relatives died. At the Expo. My Expo.

"What happened to his parents?" Pepper asked. She had took my hand and squeezed it. Pulling me back to the now.

"Plane crash."

My mind went blank. I was the reason this kid had no more relatives. I was the reason he was alone. His aunt and uncle died because someone wanted to get to me.

"Tony?" Pepper said. It was actually more of a question, the way she said it. I looked at her. Then back at Reilly.

"When can we adopt him?"

A/N
I hoped you liked this chapter!

Take care of yourselves and have a great day!!