The Diary

To tomorrow's me from yesterday's me,

Today, August 31, you woke up from a coma and the doctor said you're gonna be living a different life from now on. You cried because you couldn't remember anything and the wound in your head freaked you out. He explained everything to you and you continued to cry for what seemed like forever. He said your condition is going to be difficult, but at least he said it's going to be for the next month until the surgery.

You got into a car accident with your family six weeks ago and you're the only one who survived, your parents died along with your younger siblings. You survived, barely, but you were in a comatose for weeks because you severely damaged your brain. Specifically, your memory.

You will lose your memory every twelve hours, that's what they said.

You have to understand that your memory span now only lasts for twelve hours. And after that, everything that happened within that short span of time will all be forgotten. The people you met, the things you did, and the foods you ate.. they will all disappear in your memory after the twelfth hour. Everything about yourself, everything about the people around you and your relationship with them, they will all be erased from your mind. The emotions you felt today will be forgotten tomorrow.

Because of this handicap, I decided to write a diary. This will come very handy to you for the next thirty days. The doctor said your surgery is scheduled on the first day of October. Your chance of surviving is 50%, but they said they'll do everything they can to help you and your condition.

Your name is Miyamura Megumi, you are supposed to be a second year high school student at Fukuda Sogo High. You are sixteen years old and your birthday is on September 20. The guy with blonde hair and thick glasses is Chitose-san, your guardian. He's your uncle and he is very nice.

First, you are not allowed to get out of the house and to interact with anybody. It will only make your situation harder. Chitose-san is the only person you need, no more.

Second, this diary is you. So please, without fail, read this diary every morning after you wake up. You need to write everything that will happen to you in this book. Every single thing you'll do, every food you'll eat, every important conversation you'll have and especially things about your condition. Please write them as accurately as you can.

For the next 30 days, this diary is your life. This contains everything you need to know to survive for the next month, so you MUST do what I said.

Chitose-san also listed the things you're allergic to at the last page so whenever you eat, you have to check the food first. It's to avoid complications. Chitose-san will be working every day because he must earn the money you have to spend for your medications and surgery, so you're going to be alone in the house always.

But you are okay with that. Don't cry. Don't complain. Don't feel sad. You won't feel lonely because you can watch shows on the television.

Third, your goal is to live your life from now on without troubling others. You have to smile for Chitose-san, for the doctors who are doing their best for you, and for the friends that are waiting for you to come back.

Be thankful that God gave you a second chance. You might not survive the surgery, but at least you get to stay in this world for another month.

That is still a blessing.

And lastly, please refrain from getting involved with someone. That will only complicate things more.

PS. Don't ever cry again.