Revelation Foretold

Chapter One – The discovery

“Why are we doing this again?” growled the grumpy 30 year old Midlander in the passenger seat. “Why are we searching for tracks in the arctic circle in the period of darkness?”

“Why are you asking me? I know nothing either!” agreed the driver, vigorously driving the recently voted most indestructible car, the Toyota Hilux Pickup Truck but Mr Mayson in the passenger’s seat still didn’t feel success at this suicide mission.

“The area is so big and all there is is just stupid snow and ice…! Mr Mayson began.

Even as he spoke, a huge menacing shadow came into view up ahead. The driver slowed up and breathed hard. So did Mr Mayson and even the car, the power pack of metal and steel, seemed to shake as they came into view of the huge shape.

It was a house, a really spooky one too. It was at least 4 stories high but that was far from as daunting as the house itself. It looked like a vampire, dripping blood into a pipe leading into a giant courtyard. The fog didn’t make the horror scene any more pleasant. It covered the face of the earth like a blanket, obscuring the view completely…

…RATTLE! RATTLE! RATTLE! Although the two humans were scared, the vehicle was shaking with fear; its wheels were losing energy and the big shape of metal and steel felt reluctant to get close to the demon that stood before it. For every passing moment, the vibrating became more vigorous. Finally, with a soft BANG and SPLUTTER, the ‘indestructible car’ had broken down.

Mr Mayson was spooked, how on earth can a huge, powerful truck brake down at the sight of the house? Could these events be connected to when the last detectives went to investigate these mysterious events? Did it happen to them too? He had too many questions and no answers.

“I do not like this one bit,” Mr Mayson quickly remarked. “Mr Maynard, what should we do?”

“Call the AA!” Mr Maynard, the driver, stood out of the car in his three winter coats. Mr Mayson sighed and put his head in his hands. As everybody knew, Mr Maynard was quite a dumb person when it came to breakdowns and new discoveries.

“How can we call the AA?” Mr Mayson moaned desperately. “The nearest town is at least 2 hours walk back and the nearest developed town or city is at least a day’s drive back!”

“Nearest town actually does have a vehicle breakdown service,” Mr Maynard replied back. “You noticed it yourself as we drove past.”

Mr Mayson slapped himself in the face. How on earth could he have forgotten that?

“You phone them and walk down but take a torch!” Mr Mayson replied as he reached into the packed behind of the wounded beast that had taken them there.

They both stared. The torch was the size of a keychain! It didn’t even work!

“What are you doing then?” wondered Mr Maynard as he started to leave. Mr Mayson struggled to find an answer, he barely knew himself. He pointed to the house, shook hands and parted company and started to the strange building that lay almost uncovered ahead of him. He had butterflies in his stomach when he reached the front door; the door creaked noisily as it was pushed ajar. The detective had no real choice but to go inside…

Chapter Two - Two whole days

Mr Mayson regretted his decision to go inside 2 seconds after he stepped foot in the house. The place was horrible, cobwebs stuck to the walls and the lighting was a gloomy green. There was nothing here at all!

Nothing, not even bacteria, would decide to go in this place, Mr Mayson thought.

He soon entered a large kitchen area, decked, and smelt, to look like a toilet. A huge pong filled the air as the desolate kitchen turned the butterflies in his stomach into bats. He thought he could see something in the distance out of the window…