CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

Start from the beginning

"I told you, it wasn't that big of a deal. We just clicked better as friends than anything more," explained Ramona.

"He seems like he would know his way around a woman," Luna concluded and Hermione choked on her drink, coughing to get the liquid out of her lungs.

"I was his first, though I suppose he must have improved," Ramona concluded.

"Merlin, I do not want to hear any more of this," concluded Ron, shaking his head with a scrunched up face. Hermione laughed at him and poked fun at the fact he started it. The conversation went on for a while longer, the girls exchanging stories about Krum once more and Ron making snarky comments.

The friendly banter even loosened up Harry, who made a comment here and there. Hermione was in the middle of saying something when Ron interrupted her and belched violently.

"Merlin's beard, Ronald Weasley! What the hell is wrong with you?" said Hermione, crossing her arms as she scolded her friend who looked faint.

"My sister is snogging that slimy Dean Thomas," said Ron through gritted teeth, causing everyone's heads to turn in the direction of the two. Feeling as if they were seeing something far too personal to be a part of, all three girls turned away to give the couple privacy. Ron, however, turned away to keep himself from vomiting.

Harry stared on for a little longer. Ramona could see his face drop as he observed the two and she could very well read what he was thinking as he stared at them. Now, Harry looked even more out of place at the table.

"Honestly Ronald, if Ginny saw you and I snogging, you don't think she'd be so violently repulsed, do you? Everyone does it," babbled Hermione before she could realize what she had said, staring at the table with wide eyes once her brain registered her words.

"It's not a big deal, Ron, as long as he keeps his hands out of her pants you have nothing to worry about," Luna assured him.

Ron placed his face in his hands and sighed deeply. No words could reassure him and he was in agony from seeing his sister kiss. Ramona couldn't stifle a laugh.

The entire afternoon was spent pleasantly. Conversation flowed effortlessly and Ramona did not feel out of place even once. When it was time to head back, they did so very slowly, as if wanting to preserve the fun that they were having for a little while longer.

Luna and Ramona walked a little behind the trio, the cold weather seeping into their bones and Ramona couldn't wait to get back to the castle when a loud scream interrupted their walk.

As if her day hadn't been long enough, Ramona bore witness to a thing much more terrifying than her words could later explain. Both she and Luna caught up to the trio quickly and Ramona grabbed Luna's arm instinctively as they watched the body of Katie Bell propelled in the air, her arms outstretched, as though she was about to fly.

The scream she let out rooted them all in place. Another girl, one Ramona didn't know, was frantically saying something, but Ramona couldn't listen. She only saw her lips move. The terrible anguish that caused whatever Katie was going through was beyond disturbing to watch and, once she collapsed to the ground, Ramona was sure that the girl was dead.

Harry attempted to reach for an object on the ground as Luna consoled her friend, who kept repeating, "I told her not to touch it! I told her not to touch it!"

Ron and Hermione were kneeling next to Katie's body. Ramona was about to head over when she spotted Harry's curious gaze fixed onto something on the ground. He was leaning over it, observing it, and she came closer to do the same.