As much as Irene wanted to follow her sister toward the car waited by the chauffeur, Thomas cleared his throat. Hustling the older sister, he tapped on the pocket watch hanging on his vest. Irene groaned at her sister, "I can't, Ma moitie. I have to start teaching our boss's son violin today."

"But it's already afternoon, Irene! It's astonishing that we even lasted this long for a job that we don't need!" Izzy a little too loudly exclaimed, grabbing the passer's attention and, of course, Thomas Shelby.

Irene hugged her sister as she ushered her to the car, "I know, I know, my sweet. We certainly are not the working class, and all of this is spiteful. But I have to go alright; I'll have someone collect me from Small Heath."

Irene motioned the chauffeur to not dilly dally before her sister would start making another commotion. As the Rolls Royce drove away, Izzy waved her scarf out of her window, like one would when their loved one was going away on a war. Irene couldn't help but chuckle, how significantly exaggerating her sister was.

Then, reality struck her. She turned around just in time for Thomas to raise his brow. Rolling her eyes, she made her way toward the car, prepared for the patriarch; thankfully, Thomas was gentle enough to open the door for her. He and his chauffeur followed suit.

"so, anything I have to prepare myself for?" the young duchess asked as she looked out the window. Thomas looked at her through the rearview mirror, her beauty ever so radiating. Thomas then cursed at himself for even thinking that "Just brace yourself."

≻───── ⋆✩⋆ ─────≺

The hard thump braced by the car woke Irene up. Her face startled as she realized she slept the whole way to Small Heath, something that she finds appalling. If her granny had found out that she dozed off in a car, an unknown car at that, she would have a heart attack.

But then again, Irene had never worked a nine-to-three work. It was something very energy draining. Irene caught Thomas's eyes on the rearview mirror, only to look away once she realized she was still in a daze after her little nap.

A few minutes later, the car halted in front of a dark grey, almost black coloured building. Thomas's chauffeur had opened the door for Irene; the young heiress stepped out of the car, careful not to step on the mud. It would ruin her shoes. She wrapped her fur coat tighter around her shoulders as she neared Thomas, who was leaning on the door of the building.

Irene's brown orbs observed the monotone rows of buildings, "A man like you actually lives in a place like this, Mr Shelby?"

"I thought you're a big man now." She continued, eyes now staring at the blue ones in front of hers.

Irene swears every time she talks to Thomas, she sees smoke coming out of his mouth. Won't men just understand how dangerous smoking is? She had thought.

Thomas blinked a couple times, "I am a big man. This is a temporary living situation."

The ravishing girl in front of Thomas nodded, "But why?"

"It just is."

Irene rolled her eyes, "Even my baby cousin understands that. But why, Mr Shelby? Why do you need to move here? This city is certainly not my first choice."

Once Irene scrunched her nose in pure disgust, she saw the expression written across Thomas's face. He looked aggravated, annoyed, spiteful, and everything in between. That alone made Irene want to cower in a corner somewhere. "Sorry, that was very unbecoming of me."

As Thomas opened the door, Irene saw a glimpse of a well-lit fire with a sofa and a few chairs surrounding it. "Come in."

Her heels made prominent sounds on the wooden floor. Irene saw a young boy with dirty blonde hair in the middle of the room with a few people accompanying the boy. As Thomas walked toward them, the little boy's face lit up, "Daddy!"