Part 1: One foggy night

(Written by Luna)

I held the firm round baseball in my hand unable to tell if anyone may be watching or even cared at this point, anyone can play a sport even the prodigal musician that doesn't speak a word to anyone. One can seem shut off but does one actually know what that person is like when they're alone? The ball was cold and felt like if I threw it the fog may follow it like a rocket heading for a target.

I sit with the white ball in my hand as I feel a prickling sensation run up my back as I stand straight with the posture granted to me due to the constant playing of the violin at classical music interventions. The soft breath flowing around me as the cold air bites at my cheeks and nose. The baseball fields are rarely used in winter or like right now. An early autumn night that seems winter like due to the biting wind and the fog that covers the field.

Who would have thought my first year as a music scholar would have me playing in the first row and being mentioned by the school sometimes too much for comfort? The field is my escape...

I spin the ball in my hand rapidly as I close my eyes feeling it turn as I quickly stop it in one position as my eyes snap open while the windup comes to me so naturally, the ball is released at the blink of an eye and heading straight to nearly a ninety metre mark before it cuts sharply to the right and hits the fence at an angle.

I look at the ball blankly as a sigh escapes my parted lips. The silence envelopes the field while the fog stays as it is.

Clap. Clap. Clap. I hear as I turn shocked to face someone standing in the distance. "Who would have thought the little musical genius was able to throw a baseball?~," the snarky and teasing voice of the first string catcher says as I remain standing there shocked but impassive to what just happened. On the outside at least but in the inside, I'm shouting at myself over and over for not caring if anyone saw but also caring.

I hear the soft crunch of him walking over to me as I turn away and walk off to grab the baseball I threw. The baseball firmly in my hand again., I walk past the catcher of the team as I feel their eyes watching me. "Why don't you speak? You have another musical talent you refuse others to hear?~" Miyuki Kazuya says as I whip my head around to look at him.

"Is that any of your business?" I sharply say as I walk off the field with the damn catcher still following me. "So you can physically speak? What a surprise~" his words grate against my eardrums as I glare at him before continuing to walk closer to the music dorms. The catcher still following me.

I stop dead in my tracks as I turn to face him with a deadly look on my face. "You follow me anymore or mention you heard my voice, I'll make sure that the rest of your baseball career is hell!" I shout at the top of my lungs as Miyuki smirks and nods as he turns away to head back to his dorm.

A few people come out their dorms and look at me shocked as I stomp frustratedly down the way to the room I stay in. I swing the door open seeing my guitar sitting down on my bed as I start playing and hum softly to calm myself. I hear whispers in front of my door as people are likely talking on how I rose my voice for once and that I was angry to the point of playing the guitar.

Musicians especially young ones can tell what others play for certain moods as music is therapeutic to people particularly those that play it so often.

I play the guitar for a good hour as the whispers slowly fade but don't end until...

I start singing the words.
The day after you said goodbye
All I did was lay in bed and cry
But after one month I started to move on
and after two I was feeling alright
Then three months in you were off my mind

In month four and five I was living my life
I was better and didn't have to try not to think of you
Until you reached out and said

Remember that night?

We went for a drive 2:30 in the morning

I don't finish the lyrics knowing that I can't sing the rest with others listening, they would probably start crying knowing how they can perceive music and emotions together. "You can all go now. The show is over and you need to all get some sleep, remember practice is before breakfast tomorrow," I say as everyone shuffles away to their rooms, leaving me without having to deal with whispers.

The baseball I had before now sits on my desk without me even noticing I put it down where I always do. I guess muscle memory is powerful after all, that's how learning instruments normally works after all. I sigh as I place the simple acoustic guitar to the side and pick up the electric guitar and plug in my headphones.

I start playing it rapidly and only paying attention to the instrument in my hands as I stand up and I continue playing more complex chords while adding my unique flourish as a smile graces my features at the thrill of playing the instrument the way I do.

I continue playing the electric guitar for a good hour before my body grows slack and I barely manage to put the guitar on its stand before I pass out on the floor as I do most nights.

———
I turn over in my bed as I see a slither of sunlight come through the blinds, I turn away from it with my eyes shut tight. I head but the wall as I open my eyes slowly and rub my forehead.

I guess I must have managed to stumble into bed somehow. I sit up in my bed and check my clock seeing it's ten minutes until the early practice starts. I jump out of bed and quickly get changed into my school uniform, making sure to add my new tie for practice as I run out the door without my shoes on and quickly put them on my feet as I hop trying to get them in while rushing to get to practice.

After my shoes were on properly I see no one from the dorm walking around so I'm the last one. I sprint over the path as I start to see some of the other scholars as some are flirting with the baseball team as they're going to breakfast. I look over at them rolling my eyes as I bump into something and my eyes widen from the shock as I nearly fall backwards but instead grab the first thing that ends up in my grip.

I pull myself up a little as I sigh from relief, "seems someone is in a rush~" I hear the teasing voice of Miyuki as I let go of his T-shirt and take a few steps backwards. The whispers of the girls on my orchestral group are whispering again as I quickly snapped a glare at them and they shut up.

"Yes, I'm in a rush. I'm the lead violinist for our next audition and I'm late," I say as I walk around him before going into a sprint again.

Miyuki Pov

"So girls~ care to tell me more about your lead violinist?" I say with a fake smile that they instantly fall for and start telling me about the prodigal Sawamura Eijun that could play any instrument he touches after a week. They told me of how he may be the lead violinist and the head of their orchestra but he doesn't talk much to anyone. Along with how everyone has listened to him play in his room as he never closes his door fully for a reason no one knows. One thing they all agreed on was that he was talked about around school almost as much as the first-string players on the baseball team, which is surprising.

He's far more interesting then I gave him credit for. A small smirk graces my face as I think that and shove my hands in my pockets while walking to the canteen.

Hope you enjoyed it! Music is my passion and I always wanted to write something on it to show that love for music! Please take care of yourselves, make sure to drink water and eat enough!!