Seven: Conversations & Close Calls

Comenzar desde el principio

Ally shook her head. "I don't know, but this isn't like Austin to keep secrets from me. Do you think he's hiding something?"

"There's only one way to find out." Trish nodded, and Ally nodded back. They peeked through the leaves of the plant and tried to pick up on the boys' conversation.

"Dez!" They heard Austin exclaim. "You almost gave it away!"

"Gave what away?" Dez asked, clueless. "Your secret pancake recipe? Which, by the way, I didn't know existed... talk about secrets." He crossed his arms and pouted.

Austin ignored him. "No, the fact that I want to propose to Ally!"

Trish's eyes widened, and Ally felt herself getting lightheaded. Though they had talked about it that night at Austin's Miami show and in the car afterwards, she was still caught off guard for some reason. Ally braced herself against the wall as Trish looked at her with concern.

"You okay?" Trish asked. "You're as white as a sheet."

"Yeah... I think." She slowly slid down the wall until she hit the ground.

"Are you sure? You looked like you were about to pass out."

Ally glared at her. "Trish, I'm fine."

Trish put her hands up in defense. "I was just asking," she paused. "So... if you don't mind me asking, why are you caught off guard?" She furrowed her brow. "I thought you talked about this before Austin's show."

Ally sighed. "It's not that I'm caught off guard... I just didn't really take his comments about marriage that seriously. You know Austin... he loves to joke around and part of me thought that this was just another harmless joke. Plus, I didn't think he'd be planning to propose this soon! I always figured we'd wait a few years before even thinking about that type of stuff." Her eyes widened. Maybe this is connected to the dream somehow! she thought.

"What?" Trish asked, noticing her sudden moment of realization.

Ally pushed herself out from the wall. "Well, I had this dream the other night. It was super weird— Dez was in a unicorn onesie, holding French bread, you were a mime, and Austin was on one knee, proposing."

Trish raised one eyebrow. "So far I'm not hearing anything weird."

Ally ignored her. "But he was acting super awkward and nervous, and I couldn't tell where we were. It didn't feel like we were on the ground. As in, on top of a building."

Trish put her hands on her hips. "Hmm, that is a little weird." She looked over at Austin and Dez again, who seemed to still be arguing.

Ally shook her head. "You know what? It was probably just one of those dreams where nothing makes sense. I mean, how could there be any significance in that?" she asked, referring back to the dream.

Trish nodded in agreement. "Yeah, it was probably nothing. We should get back before they get suspicious though." Ally agreed, and they took a few steps back before emerging from the corner they disappeared behind a few minutes earlier.

"Hey," Ally said as nonchalantly as she could, sitting back down on Austin's lap, wrapping an arm around his neck and leaning her had on his shoulder as nonchalantly as she could. "What've you guys been talking about?"

"The pancake recipe," Austin replied. "Dez said his mom might want it, so I gave it to him."

Ally nodded. "So... Trish, what time are we taking off tonight?"

Trish glanced at her watch. "It's up to you guys. Jacksonville is only a few hours away so we technically have all night to get there. We could probably play it by ear."