Chapter Two: A Hero Rises

Elrah’s eye fluttered open. Pain seared from slices on her back, forehead, and leg. Her gaze swept  around the room slowly. She wasn’t in her room. It seemed she was in a hospital as there were other warriors laying on bed similar to hers. They all bear wounds, some worse than others. Most were still asleep but some had risen. Nurses were tending to the warriors who had woken up, giving them food, water, and comfort. Elrah caught the eye of a nurse that was making packages of food. The nurse hurried over to Elrah, “Good morning miss. Are you hungry?” Elrah ran a hand through her thick, reddish blonde hair and shook her head. “I’ll get you some water.” She said before hurrying away. The nurse soon came back with a mug of water. Early nodded her thanks and took the mug. She sipped on the water and set the mug down on a small table next to her bed. She had just sunk back under the thin covers when Alzrik hurried over to her. “You’re awake!” He stated in his deep voice. “Mhm. How long has it been since the battle?” She asked him. “A couple days.” Alzrik responded. Memories came flooding back to Elrah like waves. “We won right?” She asked. Alzrik nodded. “We won!” She exclaimed, a grin spreading across her face. All the warriors on the side of Queen Eyra had trained and prepared for the war, and it all payed off. “Did the nurses say when I could leave?” She asked. “When you feel you’re ready.” Alzrik replied. As far as Elrah was concerned, none of her wounds were very bad. “Well let’s go!” She said, hopping out of her bed. She ignored the pain in her back and began shoving her feet into her shoes. “Not so fast.” Alzrik stopped her, putting a hand on her shoulder. “I want to check with the nurses to make sure you’re okay to go.” He explained before straighting up and looking around for a nurse. “But you said I could go!” She whined and started with her shoes again. Alzrik took them up and held them away from her. “Yes but I want to be totally sure.” He said. With that a nurse hurried over. “May I help you sir?” She asked. “Yes. Is she alright to go home?” Alzrik replied, motioning towards Elrah. “Yes.” She nodded. “I’ll go get the package to care for her wounds.” She said before hurrying off. The nurse returned soon and handed Alzrik a small package. “Just but the cloth and poultice on her back, as it’s the worst. Do this for seven sunrises.” She explained before nodding and going off to another patient. Elrah flashed Alzrik a look that said, “I told you so.” before snatching up her shoes.