Chapter 32, "Exciting News".

Start from the beginning

Brad : But we don't have to bring Alia into this... I'm sure working with a surrogate will work just as fine.

Jen : Really?

Brad : Yeah... besides could you imagine the hassle the paparazzi would put her through if they found out about it?

Sunday, a few days later :

Courteney : You guys will be watching the election on tuesday right? I'm honestly so nervous about it.

Jen : I know, I've literally been thinking about it this whole week.

Courteney : I saw Justin's story the other day... that was really inspiring.

On the phone with Courteney, Jen's sitting in the kitchen, eating her lunch.

Jen : Yeah...

Courteney : Have you talked to him by the way?

She sighs, before putting her fork down as she honestly just wants to forget about it.

Jen : No. I mean... he got so upset. I don't even wanna think about how he'd react if he... I don't know, found out that Brad and I were getting married or something.

Courteney : What? Are you...

Jen : No. I'm just saying if we ever were to.

Courteney : Do you think you will? Again.

She goes quiet for a minute before answering, while seeing images in her head of Brad, on the verge of tears, waiting at the altar while she's walking down the aisle.

Jen : I don't know Courteney. I really don't know.

Courteney : Oh well... you don't have to worry about that right now... I mean you're having a baby.

Jen : Yeah, you're right. One thing at a time.

Wednesday, the next week :

Jen : I think it's so great that you did that campaign for Biden.

Brad : Yeah, it was an honor to be asked really.

With a bottle of water in her hand, Jen joins Brad in the living room, after having been to the bathroom.

Brad : Would you get me one of those?

He points to her bottle, while her eyes are glued to the screen.

Jen : Get one yourself baby, I wanna catch this.

Brad : You just missed 10 minutes when you were in the bathroom.

Jen : Yes, and I regret every minute.

He laughs at her, before suddenly snapping it out of her hand.

Brad : I'll just take some of yours.

Jen : Hey.

Jen reaches over to him as he lifts it high up in the air, making her have to climb on top of him.

Jen : You don't even drink that water, you drink that expensive stuff from Norway or whatever.

Brad : Well, I'm getting too poor for that.

Rolling her eyes at him, she's about to get up and get another bottle when he pulls her back down.

Jen : What now? I'm not allowed to get another bottle?

Not answering, he just smirks at her before bending down giving her a kiss.

Brad : You know I love you a whole lot right?

Jen : Well, yeah... and I love you too.

Brad : I'm really excited for what's to come... with the baby and everything.

Jen : So am I.

Jen laughs while blushing as he just keeps staring at her.

Brad : You know I was thinking of what you said when we were married, of how you had seen this old couple... holding hands or whatever and how you had hoped that would be us one day.

Jen : Yeah...

Brad : It will.

Feeling tears press on in her eyes, she covers it up with a smile as that's all she's ever wanted to hear him say.

Jen : Brad...

Their moment is interrupted by the phone, as Amanda's calling...  probably to talk to Jen about the election.

Jen : Oh... that's mine.

Amanda : Trump is taking the lead in Georgia...

Jen : Hi, oh... but Biden's still got a big chance though. I mean, he's still leading, isn't he?

Jen turns to look at the TV, as she wasn't really paying attention when Brad suddenly decided to get all emotional.

Amanda : Yeah, I just... I've got a bad feeling.

Jen : Don't be so negative Amanda. Biden's got this.

Amanda : But don't you remember 2016? When we were sure Hillary would win.

Jen : That was different, think of the young voters out there.

Amanda : Yeah... I just hope you're right, some good news would be nice for once.

Jen : I know what you're saying. Honestly, if Biden wins this... I think I might be so excited that I'll... I'll literally adopt a dozen dogs or... even ask Brad to marry me or something.

Amanda : Well...

Brad : Babe! I think Biden is taking the lead in... Nevada.

Friday morning :

Brad : Honey.

Trying to wake up Jen, Brad sits down next to her on the bed, stroking her leg.

He woke up early today to go do some more work for Watts Community Core, but he just found out some exciting news he wants to share with her before he leaves.

Brad : Jen, guess what?

Jen : Hm?

She slowly opens her eyes, not knowing what's going on.

Brad : Biden won.

Jen : What?

Quickly coming to life, she sits up widening her eyes.

Brad : He won Jen. He won Pennsylvania.

Jen : Really?

Jen rubs her eyes, while a smile appears on her face as it's starting to sink in.

Brad : At least we won't have to worry about raising our child in a country Trump is leading.

He laughs, before bending down and kissing her forehead.

Brad : I have to go now, but I'll see you later.

Jen : Yeah... okay, have a nice day.

Brad : I love you.

Jen : I love you too.

As he leaves the bedroom, Jen picks up her phone noticing she's got a missed call from Amanda.

Jen : Hey.

Amanda : You've seen it right?

Jen : Yeah, Brad just woke me up and told me... I'm still in shock.

Amanda : I guess you're proposing now then?

Jen : What?

Amanda : You said yesterday... that you'd get so excited you'd...

Jen : Oh...

She goes quiet, while staring at the picture she keeps on her nightstand of Brad with his arm wrapped around her.

Amanda : Or adopt a dozen dogs.

Jen : Maybe I will.

Amanda : What? Adopt a dozen dogs? Would you even have the time to...

Jen : No... not that. Ask Brad to marry me.