We stumbled into my hotel room at around 10:30 with a bunch of shopping bags in our arms. We quickly plopped them down on my bed and I sat down to yank the Devil Heels off my feet. When I stood up, the balls of my feet sank into the carpeted floor farther than they were supposed to or at least they felt like it. I forgot that happened. I went into the kitchenette to get a glass of water as I heard the crinkle of shopping bags from my room. After chugging down the water in about three to four gulps, I went back into the bedroom and it looked like a clothing store puked on my bed. There were different combinations of things all on and around my mattress.
"Alright," Nikki said, clasping her hands together. "We have to pick out the perfect outfit for today."
"Nikki," I whined like a little kid. "I'm hungry, I haven't eaten anything yet. Can't I just go in this?" I pointed to the sweatshirt and jeans I was wearing. "It's plain and simple and Dean really isn't expecting much so why make a big deal out of it?"
"But," Nikki stammered a little before clearing her throat. "Clothes and shoes are a girl's best friend."
"No, a girl's best friend is another girl. Someone to go shop for clothes and shoes with."
Nikki sucked her teeth before turning her attention back to the bed. "You'll thank me for this. Now pick out an outfit. Something casual with just a hint of formality."
"What is this, Project Runway?" I mumbled before bending over the bed, examining the outfits. How about a casual outfit with a hint of I-just-want-some-coffee-is-that-too-much-to-ask-for?
I spotted an outfit that looked like it could fit the occasion perfectly. I picked it up and showed it to Brie first. She nodded with a smile much to the chagrin of Nikki. "What's wrong with it?" I asked.
I didn't see the problem of brown jeans and a tan colored long sleeve that said, "Brooklyn, NY Soccer League 1963," on it. I rummaged through the shoe bag and pulled out some black Chuck Taylor's that I-after throwing a low temper tantrum-convinced Nikki to let me get. I then rummaged through some more bags and presented a pair of mustache printed earrings, a brown scarf, and a chocolate colored cross over purse.
"But," it was Nikki's turn to act like the kid, "it's all wrong. I just want this date to be special for you guys."
I groaned. "How many times do I have to tell you, Dean and I aren't dating. He's just my friend, nothing more, nothing less. If you ask him if he has feelings for me, he'll say the same thing if not choose to ignore you." Nikki crossed her arms over her chest, a determined look on her face. I gave up, there was no getting through with her. Let her believe what she chooses to believe. I'll let her have her fun for today. "Fine." I swung my arm over the bed at the clothes. "Knock yourself out."
She squealed in delight before immediately grabbing a dress that stopped at mid-thigh, the top a fuchsia color while the skirt was plain black. Along with it she pulled out some black shoe laced high heels, a black clutch purse and a silver necklace with a heart-shaped pendant on it. It wasn't bad, but it was the middle of March, not the type of whether for a dress like that.
"Cute," I admitted, "but not the type of clothing for weather like this." I pointed out my bedroom window and even just by looking out at the city, you felt cold.
"Yeah, you're right," she agreed then picked up another outfit. Black, strapless floral print dress that-like the other one-stopped at mid-thigh. With it was a light blue denim jacket with ties in the front, peach colored wedges, an elephant pendant necklace and black feather earrings. I gave her a look and she reluctantly put it down. "Look, I'll admit that it's cute, but I'm not trying to freeze my butt off for some guy."
"Look," she said, "beauty hurts or in this case is cold."
I shook my head as she picked up another outfit. "Now that's not bad at all," I said. A peach, tan, Aqua, and black colored long sleeve in a light shade, except for the black, Aqua colored jeans, a black scarf and light Aqua colored flower earrings.
"And these," she picked up the Devil Heels, "will go great with it."
I nodded my head. "Alright, I'll wear it." Then I looked down at the clothes I was wearing and whispered to them as if they could hear me, "Sorry."
After getting dressed and Nikki braiding a clump of hair across the back of my head with the rest hanging straight, I was ready by 11.
"So what should we do for this next hour?" Brie asked as her and Nikki sat on the floor by the foot of my bed while I actually stayed on the mattress. I shrugged. That's when my stomach started to rumble for the millionth time.
"Can we get something to eat?" I asked, rubbing my stomach. "I'm starving."
"You'll get to eat at the coffee shop," Nikki said.
"What if they don't serve food?"
"All coffee shops do."
"I wouldn't go and say all coffee shops," I said. My stomach rumbled again. "I'm going to die."
"Oh, no you're not," Nikki said. "You'll be fine, you only have," she looked at the clock on my bedside table, "Like 50 minutes to go."
I gave her an exasperated look before my phone bleated beside me. It was a text from Dean:
I'm in the lobby. I was thinking we could go for coffee early. You ready?
I didn't know Nikki had come onto my bed and looked over my shoulder until I heard her giggling in my ear. "Aw, he wants to start the date early," she crooned, placing a hand over her heart as if it was the sweetest thing in the world.
I rolled my eyes. "You're a mess." Then I turned back to my phone.
Yeah, be down in a sec