26. Survivor

I remember my father telling me about an evil called Katherine Pierce. The name always stuck with me. There's just something about it that makes me so uncomfortable and gives me an uneasy feeling. My dad absolutely despised her. She had been running from him for five hundred years. Which is pretty impressive, i'll give her that.

No one escapes dad. No one. She had gotten lucky. She had gotten lucky that she was able to survive that long. She's a survivor.

Dad had told me to never mention Katherine around their friends, Damon Salvatore and Elena Salvatore. I had also known that Elena was the doppelgänger of Katherine and i knew that at some point my dad hated Elena for it and tried to kill her. She was one of his many victims. Only Elena had survived. Just like Katherine. They are both survivors. And i envy them for that.

I have heard many stories of them before. I love hearing them. I know they have wronged my family,  they were only protecting themselves. It distracts me from my problems that i have in my own life. Of course, my father hates talking about them. I make him anyways.

My family is broken. I'll admit that. But when it comes to each other. We are willing to risk anything. When it comes down to it, we work together. Sometimes for our own needs, like my uncle Kol, he's always breaking rules. I guess that's where i get it from. But still, We always go through it with each other. And we always will.

I am currently laying on the floor. My arms and legs spread out. Staring straight up at the ceiling. Just thinking. Thinking about my friends and family.

I miss them.

I feel myself feeling guilty when i begin to think about some of the arguments i have with my dad.

"You don't know how dangerous this is it could kill you!" He shouted at me. He was raging over the fact that i had been so careless. And now that i look back at it i don't blame him.

"Then let me die!" I shouted back. I don't know what happened, but it was like something inside of me just snapped. Like as if i wasn't even in control.

~*~

I remember once i had gotten into an accident. I had died for a couple of seconds. I saw my mom.

"Athena, What are you doing here?" She asked. Her beautiful brown hair fell to her shoulders, her eyebrows furrowed at the sight of me. Her incredibly sharp cheekbones were pointed out.

My breathing immediately increased at the sight of her.

I quickly ran up to her and have her a hug. This has been after my mother had died. I looked around and noticed others there too. Dead ones. From her pack. They were around a campfire, smiling. They looked...happy?

"I needed to see you!" I cried into her shoulder. It was like i could still smell her lavender scent.

"I'm ready mom, I'm ready." I eagerly nodded at her, tears pooling in my eyes. She had been shaking her head, no.

"No, no Athena. No it's not your time yet. You need to go back what are you doing here." She said, tears pooling her eyes as well.

"I needed to see you, mommy. Please" I was explaining, at this point my voice was scratchy and my cheeks were staining with tears.

"You need to go back. Your father needs you Athena. Please." She begged.

"Athena! Athena please wake up!" I heard a voice call out to me. It was dads.

"Will i see you again?" I asked. At this point i could feel winds picking up, It had made me more and more anxious.

"When it's time, Athena. Go. Now!" She begged. Seconds later, I shot up, sitting upright. I opened my eyes to see my father, tears on his face, while holding my shoulders.

I was back in the real world.

I quickly wrapped him into a hug and he whispered sweet nothings into my ear.

"Dad i don't wanna die, i don't wanna die." I ranted and he quickly nodded and cut me off.

"I know, i know, you're not gonna die. I promise."

I had gotten snapped out of my thoughts after recalling the memory. I cant help but feel guilty. I had been so selfish. My family lost her too. But i didn't even care. They had to be strong, for me. But i hadn't even realized that. I didn't care. I was only caring for myself.

I needed to talk to them. Now. I sat up and began to get the ingredients i needed for the spell. I was going to clear things up. I cannot focus on school if i still feel guilty about my mother's death.

It's time to finally open the red door.