Sweets. Part 2 [Even Sweeter]

Start from the beginning

"There's no tea, but is that okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. I happened to bring some water from the café earlier just in case anyways."

With our preparations ready, we began to read our respective books while casually eating our treats.

There wasn't any noise audible for a good distance, so only a comfortable, yet familiar silence filled the air; one that I usually felt around her.

"Hiyori, what's wrong?"

After some time, my reading was interupted by a hand holding a wagashi near my face. It seems she had the intent to feed me, which became obvious due to her blushing face.

Normally, distracting her from reading would be next to impossible, but this wasn't the case this time.

"Oh, uh, i-if you don't want it I'll-"

She became flustered when I questioned her actions, but she looks to have gotten the wrong idea. I wasn't asking why she would try to feed me, but instead, I was only surprised.

She began retracting her hand with the wagashi still at hand, but before she could, I took the sweet treat with my mouth. In an instant, her somewhat apologetic expression turned into an embarrassed one, blushing from ear to ear.

"Thanks."

"U-uh, mm-hmm"

While stuttering like that, she looked at her hand which fed me, almost as if asking, 'did I really just do that?'

Although extremely embarrassed, she seemed quite happy, but then I noticed that her box was empty. She must have given me her last piece, so naturally, there was only one course of action to take.

"Eh?"

"Say ahh~"

I saw this at the movies once while with the Ayanokouji group, so I tried it. Besides, Hiyori also gave me a piece, so it would only be fair I did the same.

"Wha-, huh?"

Her embarrassment looked to be stopping her from doing so right away, but she eventually gave in.

Closing her eyes and opening her mouth, she brushed a strand if her hair away from her face as she took the wagashi in her mouth.

"How does it taste?"

"...Sweeter than normal, it looks like you took the better box."

"Hm? Really?"

This statement of hers confused me, causing me to externalize my surprise by accident.

"Is something wrong Ayanokouji-kun?"

"In my opinion, yours tasted sweeter than mine."

We stared at each other with raised eyebrows, seemingly disagreeing with one another. That was when I recalled something.

"Oh right, I remember reading that something tastes sweeter when it's from the person you like. Although it was from a magazine, I was actually wondering if it was true."

As I finished speaking, I could see her eyes widen, to which then she bashfully averted her gaze.

"I-I see..."

"Well, I don't know for sure, but I guess this could be considered proof."

This was yet another thing I couldn't learn in the White Room. I suppose the world really is a vast place.

My thoughts were then cut off again by something pressing against my shoulder.

"..."

It was Hiyori who was leaning her head against my shoulder with a relaxed, yet saddened expression.

"Hey Ayanokouji-kun... is it really okay for us to be like this?"

She wasn't specific, but I understood.

"I don't know. We're supposed to be enemies from different classes, so I can't really say for sure."

"...Does Ayanokouji-kun see me as an enemy?"

Her voice was small, but it contained deep emotions.

"We'll eventually have to face each other as opposing teams, but I guess I can't really say that I see you as an enemy. Not right now anyways."

"I also don't see Ayanokouji-kun as an enemy... but you're right that we do have to face each other later. Although not yet, Ryuuen-kun will go after you again."

"If he can beat Sakayanagi, then yeah, I guess he will."

At this point, it was getting a little uncomfortable to have her resting on my shoulder, so I shifted my arm and let her lean into my chest while wrapping it around her far shoulder.

"...I don't want to fight you, but at the same time, I don't want to betray my friends."

"I see..."

There was great unease coming from her voice, so I decided to comfort her with a promise.

"We'll definitely have to fight... but I won't let you be expelled. That's something I'm sure of."

"..."

Just like that, the worry that had previously shown on her face was now no where to be seen. Instead, only a relieved smile was visible.

"I'm so happy I met you."

"..."

For some time after that, we didn't move from that spot. Under a tall tree, watching the still waters of the ocean, we sat in peace.

This day, even if I go back to that place... I'll remember as something 'sweet'.

Author's Note.
I know I just raised a death (expulsion) flag for Kiyo, but he's KIYOTAKA. Like, dang, no amount of flags will get him expelled if he doesn't want to be.