sam almost threw up after one particular coaster, so we got on the carousel afterwards to calm down. then we rode the ferris wheel together, and for a minute i felt like i was living in a cliche coming of age story.

now we were on the way to the balloon dart stand that i saw earlier.

"ouu, look at that." sam pointed discretely at a girl we walked past, who had one of those loaded milkshakes in her hand. the ones with a ridiculous amount of candy and whipped cream on top.

"yeah it looks good, but i don't know if i could eat allat shit on it." i said truthfully.

"me neither, i'd have to eat it with someone else." she added and i nodded in agreement.

we continued walking, letting the sounds of the fair fill out the silence. sam spotted the balloon dart stand and brought me in front of her, hand finding its way to my waist, per usual.

"you always do that." i said lowly, not expecting sam to hear it, but she did.

"do what?" she replied.

"you always put your hand on my waist like this, whenever you movin around me or sumthin." i spoke a bit louder this time, so she could hear me easier.

"oh, it's kind of a habit... should i stop? is it uncomfortable?" she asked considerately.

"no it's fine, i was just thinkin' out loud." i gave her a reassuring grin, which she returned.

just as we got closer to the stand, i heard someone call my name. i paused in my tracks and turned around, looking for where it came from. sam looked at me in confusion.

"what you doin?"

"somebody called my name? you ain't hear that?" i asked, looking curiously out into the crowd behind us.

"uhh, no i didn't..." she trailed off, but looked around anyway. i didn't see anyone so i was about to give up and keep walking but they shouted again.

"leilani!" it was clearer this time.

sam and i's heads turned to the left, and it took me a minute to who it was. but i soon recognized the tall mocha colored girl as camille. she was in my pre-calculus class. from what i've gathered during our small conversations during class, she was really smart. and she had a good personality to go with it, a little attitudal, but she was still cool.

i smiled and waved politely, and camille did the same, making her way over to us. sam sighed and pulled me closer with a pout.

"stop lookin' like that, she's cool." i nudged her in the stomach.

"hey lani!" camille greeted me, now close enough to lower her voice.

"hey camille, i didn't think i would see anyone from school here. you here with somebody?" i asked.

"yeah i'm here with a group of friends actually, they kinda wandered off tho..." she trailed off while glancing behind her, probably trying to catch sight of her friends.

she looked back at me and finally noticed sam, who stood quietly tampering with my jacket.

"you here with her?" camille asked me, gesturing to sam.

"yeah, this is sam. sam this is camille." sam looked up and gave a toothless grin. camille smiled back brightly at her, the two silently speaking.

"y'all look adorable together." i could feel sam tense from behind me.

i looked down out of instinct when i felt my cheeks get warm, and i could see sam looking at me from my peripheral.

"um we not together, b-but thank you." i said hesitantly.

"oh i'm sorry. i didn't mean to make y'all uncomfortable, i just thought..." she trailed off, gesturing to our close proximity. sam and i nodded in understanding, letting her know it was fine. 

after a few more minutes of small talk, camille told us she needed to go find her friends. so we said our good-bye's and i let her know i would see her at school. she walked off in the same direction she came from, and sam and i continued walking to our first destination.

"she was nice." sam commented.

"yea she is, i take pre-calc with her." i added.

sam hummed in understanding, swinging our hands loosely as we came up on the balloon dart stand.

"you look cute when you blush." she said casually. i looked at her with a grin and she did the same, squeezing my hand tighter.

"thank you."

;

don't forget to vote and comment, i love y'all <3.