For all that he knew, he fell victim of that particular smile that made her eyes gleam like emeralds.

"Are you wishing you could be on his place?"

Gusion turned his gaze back to Lesley.

There was a certain emotion in her eyes that made him guilty again.

"What?" He asked, playing clueless.

"Are you wishing she could be your fiancée instead of me?"

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Stop denying, Gus." Lesley said, a mixture of irritation and sadness now gleaming in her blue eyes. "I——everyone could see the way you look at her."

He frowned and looked away. He couldn't find a way to deny it anymore. "What I feel isn't important."

She stared at him in disbelief. "Then what does that make me, Gusion?"

"My fiancée. That's all that matters."

She scoffed. "You think I would be happy knowing how badly you want to be with someone else?"

"Les, it's not your fault." Gusion assured her. "We were both forced into this."

"You think I got forced into this?"

He frowned. "What are you trying to say, Les?"

She let out a sigh, and he was surprised when he saw how her eyes sparkled with tears.

"What's wrong?"

She looked away, still managing to smile despite how hurt she actually felt.

"What's wrong is that I've always been here for you, Gus. But I never made you feel the way I feel about you."

Gusion blinked in surprise as he soon realized what she was trying to say.

"Les—!"

She wiped a tear that trailed down her face before anyone else could see it.

"Couldn't you at least look at me right now? I'm right here, in front of you. I'm the one who's dancing with you...Why——" her voice choked that she had to pause. "Why are you only seeing her?"

Gusion held her hand tightly, wishing he could ease her pain with that.

He knew how painful it was to look at the one you love looking at someone else. And he hated himself for being unaware he was also doing it towards Lesley.

He pulled her closer to him, hoping it could somehow make her feel better.

"Stop crying." He pleaded.

How could he be so stupid to think that she only saw him as a friend?

She leaned her head against his chest as they continued dancing, now slowly.

"I'm sorry, Les."

"How could you be so selfish, Gus?" She asked.

Her voice sounded so gentle that he couldn't even hear a hint of anger in them.

How could he hurt a lady who'd done so many things for him?

" I've been here for a long time, but you fell for someone you've met for a few months."

He wrapped his arms around her, unable to find the words to show how sorry he was.

"I'll always be here for you, Les." He muttered.

"I'm so happy to see my sons with their fiancée's." The Lord Paxley suddenly came, making Gusion pull away from Lesley.

He followed his father's gaze and saw that Vermilion and Guinevere had danced closer to them, and now people were just watching what the Ball's Host was talking about.