Ten Years | Tsukiyama Shuu

Start from the beginning

"She's my niece! The spawn of two of the people I love most on this earth!" He poetically cried while you rolled your eyes. "How could I not love such a perfect little angel?"

"I thought I was the person you love most on this earth." You replied. He had been repeating that for a few years after all, but you weren't going to take away any credit from Touka and Kaneki. You had all been through a lot together.

"Trust me, if the time comes and you have a child, I will love it as my own." And with that, the man walked off. "I had been looking forward to this cake! Let's see if you're any good at your job, my dearest Kimi!"

Shocked by his nonchalance, you turned to Touka as if to ask her if she had heard him as well. All you received was an expectant look you had gotten on her part from time to time ever since you had left Anteiku and followed Kaneki and Tsukiyama into their own journey.

"You have to be fucking kidding me." The mother said. "Are you two still flirting? It won't get any further than this unless you communicate, you know. Everyone is sick and tired of watching you both pinning on each other like some kind of bad Hallmark movie. He knows you like him, there's no reason why he'd talk to you like that if he didn't know."

"Haha, what?!" You awkwardly chuckled, hoping laughter would make your heated cheeks go back to normal. It did nothing of the sort. "Touka, I don't know how many times I have to tell you the same thing! I like Shuu, he's a very nice person, but he's a friend! I can't go around looking for mushy stuff like love, I've got a job now! A big job that takes up all of my free time, and so does he! We don't have time for other things or other commitments."

Touka wasn't having it. "Ken and I got married in the middle of a war." She answered monotonously. You obviously had no right to make excuses about such things in her presence. "Your little game is getting so obvious even Ichika thinks you're married. Just talk to him, won't you? And even if you actually don't like him, let the poor man know. Leaving him hanging like that won't do any good, and you know how he is. Just rip off the band-aid, (Y/N)."

You nodded. She did have a point; when Shuu got emotionally attached to someone, it was very easy to accidentally break his heart (over small things, too). The last time he had misunderstood you and that happened, you had his cousin on your heels ready to decapitate you. It wasn't exactly in your plans to re-live that experience.

"I'll do it, eventually. Just not today, since he really seems to have fun." The two of you confirmed your statement by watching the practically glowing man entertain the children around him with extravagant stories and words they had never heard before. If you didn't know any better, you'd think he was the toddler who just turned four.

"Well do it quickly. I don't want him at my doorstep at two in the morning crying again."

Your promise to Touka didn't exactly go as planned. You got loaded with new cases at TSC, something about some ghouls rebelling against the new peace settling over Tokyo and the countryside. What had surprised you the most was that Uta wasn't behind this.

Anyways, you had to sleep in your office a few times that week and didn't get to see anyone outside of work. Meetings had doubled in order to establish a procedure for such a large scale operation. So far, the peacekeepers only had to take care of two or three ghouls at a time. For the first time in history, you seemed to have an anti-peace organization on your hands, so it was your job to study the case and come up with a durable plan that would still respect the new laws concerning ghoul rights.

A familiar man entered your office while you were furiously typing away your newest idea that came to mind. "You're working too hard." Urie stated, taking a seat in front of you. For the past week, you both had been able to formally meet each other. Just as expected, the two of you talked about where and how you met Kaneki (or Sasaki, in Urie's case) and from there on, the conversation blossomed into casual banter. He had been more than kind to you and was very helpful with his reports on the field. "We have the organization neutralized for now, you gave us more than enough."