"If you really, really want to. But no singing. And definitely no party," she said sternly, as if Romeo didn't know it already.

Her father died three days after her birthday. It was virtually the day her entire existence was erased- the day she was going to be safe from the life that was laid out for her, but the day that created a dark shadow behind her that she could never get rid of.

Ramona's mind kept returning to Draco and what happened. She didn't know how much she needed to have him until she did. But since then five days had passed and she had only seen him once- he looked at her only to turn away coldly, walking so quickly she didn't even have time to catch up.

She knew that coming into his life was dangerous and Blaise kept reminding her of it. But she felt deep in her heart that if he were to remember, he would understand. He would keep her secret.

(flashback)

"We're going to be safer, darling," her mother said, stroking her protruding baby bump. Ramona sat by her side, staring blankly at the cold tea ahead of her. Her step father was sitting opposite her, leaning his elbows on his hands and staring at the little girl.

She was only six but on her shoulders sat a weight so horribly heavy that anyone who looked at her could see it.

"But why didn't I even get to say goodbye to him?" Ramona asked, eyes brimming with tears.

"There was no time for goodbye, sweetheart. Narcissa told you why they had to do what they did. Draco is safer this way and so are you."

"He would have kept my secrets mum," Ramona tried to reason. She didn't listen to anything else her mother said. It was as if Regina spoke into the wind, her words carried away before they could reach Ramona's ears.

That evening, her step father came into her room. She peeked out at him from under the covers, feeling a tightness in her chest.

He walked towards her slowly and sat on the edge of her bed, a stuffed owl in his hand.

"I got you something," he said softly. "I know it was your birthday-"

"I don't ever want to celebrate my birthday," she said. Her step father knew what she meant. He knew what happened on her birthday. He knew the terror the little girl before him was feeling and he was set on making sure that she would trust him. He wanted to make her feel safe and to know that he would be there for her.

"I thought you'd like a friend then," he said, handing her the owl. She observed it for a couple of moments before reaching out from beneath the blanket and taking it. She placed it on the nightstand next to her and hid once more behind the blanket, only peeking out to look at him.

The walls of her room were bare. It was her step father's work room before they came to live with him. She didn't like the muggle world much, but it was safe to say she didn't like anything much at all. All she wanted was to be left alone and disappear.

"Ramona is a pretty name, you chose it well," he said. "It suits you."

She didn't say anything. She just continued to stare at him. She was too afraid to move. She didn't like that he was there with her.

"Well, I just came to wish you a good night," he said, standing up from the bed. He gave her owl a pat on the head and turned the light off. "Sweet dreams, darling."

Ramona would soon find that not all men were bad. Not all men wanted to harm her.

Ramona's step father came into her room at night only to wish her sweet dreams and to turn the light off. Even before she had his last name, he never failed to treat her as his own daughter.