37. Wizarding Schools: Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Zacznij od początku

Location: Hogwarts School, located somewhere in the Highlands of Scotland, consisted of the large Hogwarts Castle and extensive school grounds surrounding it, which included sloping lawns, flowerbeds, vegetable patches, as well as a loch (called the Black Lake), a large dense forest (called the Forbidden Forest), several greenhouses and other outbuildings, and a full-size Quidditch Pitch. One of the castle's towers held an owlery, which housed all the owls owned by the school and by students. The castle was set upon huge rocks above the Black Lake. Its three highest towers were the Astronomy, Ravenclaw, and Gryffindor Towers. The castle's 142 staircases were known to change position. The castle was known for its many updates and changes in layout throughout the years. It should be noted that some rooms in the school tended to "move around," as did the steps on the Grand Staircase. The school had numerous charms and spells on and around it that made it impossible for a Muggle to see it as the school; rather, they saw only ruins and several warnings of danger. Witches and wizards could not Apparate or Disapparate in Hogwarts grounds, except for when the Headmaster lifted the enchantment, whether only in certain areas or for the entire campus, so as to make the school less vulnerable when it served the headmaster to allow Apparition. Electricity and electronic devices were not found at Hogwarts. Due to the high levels of magic, Muggle substitutes for magic, such as computers, radar and electricity, "went haywire" around Hogwarts. Radios, however, were an exception as they were not powered by electricity, but by magic.

History: Hogwarts was founded around 990 A.D. by four of the greatest wizards and witches of the age: Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. They each represented an aspect of personality that they wanted to bring out in new students. However, shortly after founding the school, Slytherin had a falling out with the other founders about blood purity and wanted to admit only pure-blood students. He felt pure-blooded students deserved to learn magic, and those of other ancestry such as Muggle-borns and Half-bloods, were unworthy. The other three founders all disagreed, especially Gryffindor. Slytherin left the school, but not before secretly building the Chamber of Secrets. He foretold that only his own heir would be able to open it once they arrived at the school, and the heir would unleash a murderous basilisk living inside to purge the school of all Muggle-born students. About three hundred years after the school was founded, the Triwizard Tournament was established as an interscholastic competition between three of the most prestigious magical schools in Europe: Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang.

Houses: Gryffindor (values courage, bravery, daring, nerve, and chivalry), Hufflepuff (values loyalty, patience, hard work, fair-play, honesty, and tolerance), Ravenclaw (values intelligence, wit, cleverness, creativity, and wisdom), and Slytherin (values ambition, leadership, cunning, determination, and resourcefulness).

Uniform: The required uniform consists of plain, black robes with the student's house emblem, and a black pointed hat for the day (however, this is rarely worn). Hogwarts requires every pupil to buy at least three robes. They had to wear a plain white buttoned shirt with a house themed tie in thick stripes. They could also wear a grey knitted v-neck jumper with the house colours on the neckline, plain black shoes, and grey socks. They often wore a scarf that had thick blocks. The themed ties and scarves have thinner blocks. Many pupils could wear accessories (Draco Malfoy wore a snake badge on his tie and Luna Lovegood wore various accessories, ranging from a butterbeer bottle necklace to dirigible plum earrings). Certain Herbology classes require a pair of protective gloves, such as those made from dragon hide or similar materials. For the cold winter months, students have a winter cloak with silver fastenings. Every piece of clothing is to carry name tags. Any pupil who holds a position for which a badge is given, such as those for Prefects, displays them on their uniform.