Part 3 | Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

But that's the least of my problems today, my biggest one is what to wear.

It's valentine's and of course, Matteo had to take care of the dinner and treats. He goes a little too much like that. And he pretends like he isn't romantic.

After putting on the golden dress he had gotten me, I put on my shoes and took a look at the mirror.

I smiled at myself proudly looking at how far I've come. I'm the best I've ever been and it's all because of one person who I never thought would have such an impact on my life. But he did. I don't think I'll ever want to let him go after all he's done. He built me up stronger than I could've alone. Freed me from the chains of my own family and led me to him. I smiled again thinking how he's the best thing that's ever happened to me.

"Evie, you're taking forever again, we're gonna be late, don't worry you look beautiful anyway!" I heard Matteo's voice whining from downstairs and I laugh. At least some things never change.

With that, I grabbed my purse and rushed out careful to not trip over my own feet.

"You haven't seen me yet, how could you be so sure?" I asked as I began coming down the stairs where I found him turned around talking to who I assume was one of the caretakers.

"Well, I've seen you when you wake up and call yourself ugly. If I find that beautiful then—" he starts but cuts himself off when he turned right when I reached the bottom.

His eyes traveled up my body as his smile grew, eyes sparkling like a kid. He finds my hips with his hands and pulls me into a kiss before saying, "and I stand corrected." We laughed tenderly until he intertwined our hands and grabbed the keys.

Oh to stay like this forever.

• • •

"This place is a fairytale. How could you still afford this?" I asked, gawking over the golden fountain just in the lobby of the very posh restaurant.

"Don't get cocky, I still own half of one of the biggest businesses in Italy you know?" He smirked as we followed one of the waitresses to one of the quiet tables at the corner.

The place was packed in time for the big occasion. We were lucky enough when Matteo reserved earlier but we were luckier when we got the table that looked out into the city. Being perched up high on a skyscraper, this restaurant is the perfect place for a late dinner.

We sat down and I was comfortable without question. The candlelights, the slow music, the view. It was just too perfect.

"Do you like it?" He asked.

"Of course I do Mr. Romantic." I teased. He chuckled sarcastically before returning to his dead face and saying,

"Call me that one more time tonight and this will be less likable."

"Whoa, whoa, calm down grumpy. " I teased again and the way he shook his head was priceless, making me laugh like a maniac at his dislike for nicknames.

We both take the menu and order three courses. Salad for an appetizer, steak for the main, and cheesecakes for deserts. Candied Caramel Pecan cheesecake—without the pecan of course.

"A pecan dessert without the pecan. That's interesting," he laughs drinking his champagne that I was too doubtful to order.