"Sorry sweetheart, what do you need?" She shot a kind smile at Florence which she gladly returned. Her voice carried warmth despite its vague raspiness. A smoker perhaps.

"Not at all. I'm here for the Basilwether commission." She informed her politely.

"Of course. I have it right here". She ducked under the counter and retrieved a large white box with a blue ribbon tied in a cross on its lid.

It was larger than usual. Florence had been able to carry the previous dresses back with only a small amount of struggle, but even from a first glance she could tell that she'd need to hire a carriage. A luxury that, to her dismay, would be coming out of her own pocket.

Looking away from the package and back up at the kind woman, she asked about getting a lift back to the estate.

"I'm afraid there aren't any today darling. They're all being repaired. Terrible luck." It was a pity, Florence would have to find another way home or just walk the distance with the added weight.

"My boy can take you, he'll be back soon enough and I'm sure he won't mind. It's no trouble at all." The woman assured her, taking away any guilt she may feel.

"Are you sure?" Florence asked, smiling gratefully at the woman's offer.

"Entirely."

After being offered a cup of tea, She and Mrs Carney sat in each others company, chatting about whatever came to mind while waiting for the boy to arrive. Their encounters had always been brief and curt. Florence would spend no more time then absolutely necessary away from the estate. It was where she felt most comfortable, most herself. But speaking to the woman was lovely, and she was obliged for her help with getting back home.

—————

It wasn't long until the doorbell rang once more, and entered a tall, dark haired boy. He looked a mess, his hair pointing in all directions and his trousers covered in bits of hay. The white shirt he was wearing, dusted in soil and the same on his suspenders. He carried in a small crate and placed it carefully by the door before turning to both ladies.

"Hi mum, sorry I'm late; Mr. Murray had some extra crops to... who's this?" He asked, referring to the very tired looking girl sitting with his mother.

"Don't be rude Jonathan, this is Florence Clarke." Mrs Carney rather obviously nodded her head in the girl's direction.

"I told her you'd escort her back to Basilwether since all the carriages are off the roads." She was firm, letting him know that this wasn't optional. Florence began to feel uncomfortable, shuffling on her heels awkwardly until he flashed her a smile, easing her nerves.

"Of course mum. Shall we?" He picked up the box containing the gown and headed back out onto the street.

"Thank you so much for your hospitality Mrs Carney." She spoke kindly, turning around just in-front of the shop door.

"Get back safely now, and tell Lady Tewkesbury that I'll have someone deliver the bill." She raised an arm to wave Florence goodbye before returning to her workspace.

Florence, now on the pavement, walked over to Jonathan who was carefully strapping the package to the side of his horse. Upon inquiring on the absence of a carriage, or even just a cart, she was informed that there wasn't one, and she would simply have to ride horseback.

Great.

"Ready?" Jonathan asked, his hands supporting one of her boot-clad feet, ready to help her up onto the animal. Florence just nodded in response, holding onto the saddle tightly and bracing herself.

"One, Two,... Three." He helped her up onto the horse, stabilizing her to avoid any falling and then jumping up, taking the seat behind her. He reached forwards, grabbing the reigns and clicking his tongue twice, bringing them to a steady walk towards the country road leading to the estate.

The journey hadn't been half as uncomfortable as she had expected it to be, and found that conversation with Jonathan, who had insisted she call him Jon, Came rather easily. She learned that he had gone to work at the Murray's Farm once his father had passed away when he was fourteen. It was surprising to her that she had never noticed him there, The farm being where most of the Ingredients at Basilwether were sourced from. But then again, groceries were rarely ever her duty.

It wasn't until the topic of aspirations came up that Jonathan really became animated, informing Florence of his dreams to become a pilot and fly for the country.

"My fathers in the army." She said casually, not really all that interested in military business. She never did see the appeal in risking your life for nothing more than land.

"What branch is he in?" Florence had to think hard, realizing that she never really paid attention to what her father said when he spoke of his work. She loved him, there was no doubt about it, but she preferred to keep him and his occupation separate.

"Naval, I think." She wasn't entirely sure, but thought she could remember him saying something or another about boats.

Jonathan hummed, gently shrugging his shoulders, causing Florence to frown. Hm? What do you mean 'Hm'.

"We're here." He snapped her out of her thoughts and she focused her eyes onto the road, looking ahead as they turned into the estate, trotting down the entryway.

Dragging her eyes on her surroundings, she saw Tewkesbury speaking to one of the gardeners. Capturing his attention, she was just about to wave at him, but upon seeing his oddly sour expression, let her arm fall back into her lap. What's his problem? Pushing the thought to the back of her mind, she hopped off the creature and looked up at Jonathan.

"Thank you Jon, truly." Her gratefulness was genuine and translated clearly in her words. "I don't know how I would've managed the journey back without your help."

"Gladly Florence, and if your ever in need of another ride... or maybe a dinner?" Catching on immediately to where this conversation was going, she cut in.

"I um, I'm quite busy and I- I have work to do and-" She stumbled over her words, the situation new to her. She had never really been one to catch the eyes of boys, but to be fair, she rarely found herself interacting with them, other than Tewkesbury of course.

"I understand, but the offer remains. You know where to find me." He sent her one final polite smile before turning his horse and heading back down the lane.

Just before doing the same, and heading into the manor, Florence glanced over at where Tewkesbury stood in hopes of receiving a friendlier greeting than she had before. But to her surprise, his eyes were still fixed on Jonathan with that same sour look on his face, even as he turned out of the estate, disappearing from view.

It bothered her for the rest of the day, staying on her mind as she delivered the box to Lady Tewkesbury, as she ate her supper, and even as she laid down to rest. Originally she had intended to ask the boy about his behavior and yesterday's ordeal the following day, and she definitely would have. Only for some reason, he decided to pretend that it had never happened, that the day simply didn't exist, and the last 24 hours had just been lost. But if that was what he wanted, if he would rather just ignore it, erasing it from his mind, than she would do the same. No questions asked.