You gulped and could feel yourself swallow hard against the palm of his warm hand, reaching your own up to grasp at his wrist. Inhaling sharply, you gazed up into his eyes and didn't dare look away, heart thumping rapidly against your chest. And he could most definitely feel it within your pulse. Hans withdrew his hand and watched as your shoulders slacked and you breathed in a sigh a relief. He slowly eyed you up and down before backing away and sitting himself back down behind the desk.

You ran a slightly shaky hand through your hair and straightened yourself out, tearing your gaze away and glancing down to the floor. "You're just mad that I'm not afraid to challenge you."

"You've hardly challenged me, silly girl." Hans gave a dramatic roll of his eyes as he leaned back in the leather chair, clasping his hands together and resting them in his lap.

His words brought a smile to your own lips as you lift your chin and avert your eyes in his direction, hands perching at the hilt of your waist.

"Oh yeah? If I'm not a challenge to you, what's stopping me from leaving this room?"

His smile was immediately wiped from his face and that cold, burning stare was back again. His eyes narrowed and his lips pursed, slowly sitting himself up and giving a stretch of his shoulders. Before either you or Hans was able to elicit any other words, the looming sound of sirens echoed from the outskirts of the city. Thudding footsteps followed suit and soon enough, two other men came bursting into the office as they panted breathlessly.

You whipped your head around, dropping your hands from your hips.

"We've got company!" One of the men shouted, the other rushing over the edge of the desk and slamming his hands down with frustration.

He was covered in sweat and dirt, as well as what you could only assume was blood. Whether it was his or someone else's you had no clue. Hans stood up and crossed the floor to the large glass windows, glancing out and down to the empty parking lot below, which was soon to be filled with police cars.

"Everyone relax," Hans purred.

"This is a matter of inconvenience timing, that's all. Police action was inevitable and as it happens, necessary. So, let them fumble about outside and stay calm. This is simply the beginning..."

Your eyes bounced back and forth between the two men and Hans, waiting for the next set of instructions. At this point, you had no idea what use you were to Hans or his plan. At it seemed, thus far, you were only in the way. A distraction. If the police were on their way, it was a jail sentence to be caught beside the crazed terrorist with the machine gun. Should you run? Hide?

The chirp of the small black walkie talkie sat atop the desk brought you out of your thoughts and back to reality. Hans reached out and snatched it up, pressing the button as he spoke into it.

"I thought I told all of you I want radio silence until further n—"

A voice on the other end seemed to cut in, stopping Hans mid sentence.

"Ooooh," the voice drawled out. "I'm very sorry, Hans. I didn't get that message. Maybe you should've put it on the bulletin board."

His eyes darkened and his body language stilled, smooth as he slowly lifted his gaze. You blinked nervously, hugging your arms close to your chest.

The man on the other end continued. "I figured since I waxed Tony and Marco and his friend here, I figured you and Karl and Franco might be a little lonely. So, I wanted to give you a call..."

The same man who had slammed his hands onto the edge of the desk suddenly spoke up, clear worry etched into the tone of his voice.

"How does he know—"