When Draco came home after Christmas and spoke about you, Narzissa knew instantly that it was time to act. He didn't realize it yet, but Narzissa saw it – if she didn't put a stop to it now, Draco would soon know that his feelings succeeded the ones of a teenage crush. Under no circumstances could he find out, that what he felt – under all the confusion – was love. Luckily (at least for her in this exact moment), her son was an expert at swallowing down his true feelings and pushing others away. So there was still hope for Narzissa. He simply needed to spend more time with Astoria to realize that the future of his family was more important than you.

As a start, she had invited Mrs. Greengrass and Astoria over for lunch. Afterwards, Narzissa planned on going on a long walk with Mrs. Greengrass, leaving their children alone together. Now, she looked at the faces of the two of them, bored and distracted, and decided that maybe sooner would be better than later.

"How about," she turned to Mrs. Greengrass, "we go for a walk and let these two catch up."

Draco frowned. "We're not done eating yet. Isn't there des –"

„It's alright, I'm not that hungry," Mrs. Greengrass interrupted him. She had picked up on Narzissas undertone. The two women stood up, gracefully as always, and smiled at their children.

"You spent the whole morning talking about how you looked forward to this lunch, mum," Astoria pointed out, barely hiding her annoyance.

Her mother laughed. "Nonsense, honey." She put her hand to her daughter's cheek. "Have fun, you two."

When the door fell shut behind their mothers, Draco snorted and shook his head. Astoria stayed quiet. Her eyes were back on the plate. She still hadn't touched the food.

"You don't like it?", Draco asked.

"Would you be offended if I said no?", she asked dryly.

"Slighty," he raised an eyebrow, "mainly because I know from first-hand experience that our house elves cook better than yours."

"Right," she scoffed. "Because for everything the Greengrasses have to offer, you find something better."

Draco stopped his fork right in front of his mouth. Lowering it, he turned to look at her. "That took a conversational left turn."

The black-haired woman simply stared at her plate, clenching her teeth.

Draco sighed. He sensed where this was going. "Just say it, Astoria."

Finally, she reacted. With a little too much force, she slammed her fork down. "I said it," she tried to keep her voice calm and steady. "Time and time again. Quite frankly, I'm tired of repeating myself."

"Is this about Y/N again?"

"No!", she spat. All gone was the attempt of acting calm. "Not everything is about that –"

"Careful," Draco warned her and leaned back against the chair.

She raised her hand but then took a deep breath. "Not everything is about her."

He waited for Astoria to keep talking – but she didn't. Oh, how tired he was of having the same discussions with her all over again. "Then what's your problem today?"

"You're an asshole," she snarled.

He shrugged. It was probably true.

Astoria shifted in her seat and for the first time, since they had sat down to eat, did she look at him. He saw the anger and frustration in her eyes.

"Why don't you want to marry me?", she asked.

The question – and the confidence she asked it with – took him off guard. Draco frowned. "What?"