21.

Oh so she told him! Let me know what you think about that in the comments! Can't believe we're on 1.5k already! This is chapter 21, strap yourselves in for the ride guys, I hope you enjoy this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it!

-H xx

Why did I open my big, fat mouth? A whole year we had managed to keep away from prying eyes, able to stave off questions with one word answers and petty lies. All it took was for one incredibly handsome man to profess how much he likes me and I completely unravel. I sigh, tucking my legs up underneath me and resting my chin on my knees whilst Mason stands and paces in front of the swing.

"The run?" He states, clearly in disbelief. "Why are you on the run?"

I panic. Nobody is supposed to know. I try to think of  a quick lie, but nothing escapes my mouth. I currently look like a goldfish, my mouth opening and closing as I try and stutter out a sentence. I shake my head, as though that simple action will stop Mason from his incessant pacing.

"Stop pacing," I choose to say instead. "You're making me dizzy."

Mason stops. He stands in front of me and kneels on the grass, not caring that his jeans will  be full of grass stains. I grimace at them as they sink into the soft ground.

"You're going to ruin your jeans," I tell him.

Mason sighs, "I don't care about my jeans. Tell me, why are you on the run?"

Okay. There is no getting past him on this question.

"It's nothing really," I laugh breezily, "Honestly, it's not that big of a deal. You were saying? About liking me?"

Trying to skirt around the subject earns me a low growl from Mason. Since when did men growl anyway? The low rumbles came from the middle of his chest and he grits his teeth together as though trying to stop the sound from coming out at all.

"Stop dancing around the subject Sophie."

Definitely wrong. All wrong coming from his mouth. It sounded as though he was addressing somebody else.

"Heidi," I correct.

"Stop dancing around the subject, Heidi," He repeats.

Yes, that is so much better. I can feel my toes curl involuntarily in my shoes as he tries out my name on his tongue. I nod, but I can see we are getting nowhere and it's beginning to get cold.

"Can we go back inside?" I ask and Mason places his hands on my thighs, his fingers squeezing through the soft, black material of my work trousers and into my skin. Really, it feels as though there is no material there at all, reminding me of how his fingers skimmed up my leg that night after our date.

"Tell me now," He orders.

I drop my shoulders in defeat. Mason wasn't going to let the subject slide. I couldn't tell him about Dan. It was far too risky and if something ever went wrong with Mason? No, I couldn't ever tell anyone about Dan. Not while he was still, possibly, looking for us.

"My mum was seeing some guy, really briefly, and it went wrong and he tried to hurt her so she panicked and dragged me out here."

Nice. It wasn't a lie as such, more of a general stretch of the original truth.

"Are you in danger?" He demands, his deep, black eyes focusing on my own.

I shake my head, "I don't think so. It's been a long time."

Mason visibly relaxes, and I follow suit, glad he bought it. If he reacted so strongly to that little snippet of information, he would surely hunt down and kill Dan if knew what he had done to me. I place my hand on Mason's cheek, who is still knelt down in front of me, and tilt his head up to look at me once more.