'Shut up!' Lavanya spat out spitefully. 'I saw the way he looked at you while you danced in Akash and Payal's sangeet!'

So Lavanya didn't really know anything. She was just speculating from what she had seen at the sangeet. She had choreographed the dance for which Lavanya had rehearsed with Arnav. But on the D-Day she had twisted her ankle and Arnav had pulled Khushi on the stage, knowing very well that she knew all the steps by heart. Not wanting to create a scene, Khushi had complied.

'In any case I left Delhi. Why didn't you marry him then?'

'He told his mom that he was not ready for marriage!

'It was for the best in a way.' She said surprising Khushi. 'His grandfather died and he ended up having to take Sharada aunty along with him. There was no way I could have got along with that Hilter of a woman.'

Khushi wondered what Sharada Raizada would say if she could hear Lavanya , the girl whom she had carefully chosen for her beloved son. A girl who belonged to a sophisticated, high-class family, the daughter of her best friend.

Lavanya went on. 'And then Karan proposed and I accepted. Karan is a good man. He is a millionaire, good looking, but he doesn't have Arnav's charm and style. Everything was fine until I met Arnav again after mama's accident. Grief brought us closer. We comforted each other.'

Was she saying that she and Arnav were lovers? A deep pain began in Khushi's heart. 'Lavanyaji, I ----'

'Arnav may still not be interested in marriage but I am not going to let that come in my way this time!' She stormed out.

On the day of the show, NK had apologized for not being able to go with her as he was down with a viral fever. Khushi hadn't really expected him to come, as he was neither interested in classical dance nor travelling to small towns like Agra. Having grown up in Australia, Khushi knew he liked to stick to his comfort zones – big cities with all its modern amenities.

Once the scenery changed from greenery to concrete buildings Khushi knew they had reached the city limits of Agra – the city of the Taj Mahal. Seeing the city with its modern building, malls, schools, offices Khushi wondered what it would have been like in the time Shahjahan who had thought of this place when he wanted to build a memorial for his wife long after she had died.

For the performance, she wore a peacock blue silk lehnga-choli with a gold buttas all over it. The bright red chunri contrasted beautifully with the lehenga. She wore a long gold chain with a large pendant, huge gold jhumkas, maang teeka and an intricately carved gold chain on her tiny waist. Her long hair was braided and adorned with jewels. She bore in mind what her teacher told her – always look the part.

She was dancing to the semi classical Kahe Ched Mohe. This was a song that had always disturbed her but it turned out to be a bravura performance and she was modestly pleased with herself.

It was at the exact moment as she bent down to receive a bouquet of roses from someone in the audience that she saw Arnav. What was he doing here?

He was looking very handsome and dashing in a charcoal grey suit and was conspicuous even in a crowd of celebrities. Obviously, he had not meant for her to see him, for he was sitting off to one side, behind a really tall man.

In an instant she was elated, her heart beat beginning within seconds so fast it seemed it wanted to burst free from her body and fly down to where it belonged. Why are you doing this to me Arnav? I have paid for sins I haven't even committed. She was feeling a little dizzy but more flowers arrived and that saved her. Mr Mehta, the organizer came to her side.

'Your dance was a huge success!' Mr Mehta said happily. 'The young ones were here just to see you. Their enthusiasm is wonderful.'

A few of her friends and admirers managed to get around backstage to congratulate her, and after the last one was gone, lying in wait was – Arnav.