A Childhood Friend I Never Met. Part 4 [Two Sides of a Monster]

Start from the beginning

Is he not here?

As if answering my thoughts, the door began to open slowly. The rapid beat of my heart was only increasing while I was waiting in anticipation to see him, but-

"Ah..."

"Hello there, please come in."

What answered me was not the familiar poker-faced boy that had been occupying my head the whole break, but a short, platinum-bonde haired beauty with a cane.

"Oh, um... sorry I must have gotten the wrong room."

Faced with the leader of class A, I thought that I surely must have gone to the wrong room, however her next words would stop me from leaving.

"Don't worry, you're looking for Kiyotaka right? This is most definitely his room."

"Huh? W-wait I don't understand..."

My brain became a complete mess, trying to comprehend her unexpected words. My thoughts were so jumbled up that I didn't even notice her use the name 'Kiyotaka'. Or maybe I just couldn't admit to what I heard.
Is he making a deal with class A behind the scenes?

"It would be inconvenient if anyone saw you here, come inside."

I once again looked at the number beside the door, 401. Many questions and theories floated in my head as I began walking in with my guard up. The thoughts which clouded my mind were not pleasant ones, so much so that I immidiently brushed them off.

"Kei."

"... Kiyotaka... can you please explain what Sakayanagi is doing here?"

I lowered my voice to a point where Sakayangi, who was closing the door, couldn't hear, but I could still notice that my voice contained a shaky tone. The restlessness I had felt just a few moments ago was completely gone, and was instead replaced by an uneasiness. Uneasiness of what I didn't know and didn't want to know.

"So you must be the 'Karuizawa Kei' Hashimoto told me about."

While saying this, Sakayanagi made her way to a spot beside Kiyotaka, and in front of me. My unpleasant suspicions only grew closer to becoming reality as I saw Kiyotaka exchange glances with her.
A glance that could convey words to those he trusted.
A glance that I've seen several times and communicated with.
... But for the first time, it was a glance I couldn't understand.

Arisu POV

So that's how it is...

After we locked eyes, I immediently understood the situation and nodded.

'She is someone indispensable to me'

From what I've come to learn about Kiyotaka, I could infer that he meant,
'she is a valuable asset', but the way his words played out in my head still left an irritating feeling.

Is this jealousy perhaps?

"Kiyotaka, can you please give us some time alone?"

His look became one of curiousity as he raised an eyebrow. He should know very well that I don't usually pay any special attention to many people, but this one was an exeption. Her existence was one I couldn't overlook.

"Wait... you called him 'Kiyotaka' just now didn't you?-"

"I'm sorry, but I'd prefer I don't leave you two alone."

The uncertain words of Karuizawa were splendidly ignored as Kiyotaka spoke his firm belief on the matter.

"I'm sorry, but that wasn't really a question, perhaps I should rephrase it... Please come back when we are done conversing."