Part 2 | Chapter 12

Start from the beginning

His eyes were glassy, waiting for my response but I couldn't just dig it out of nowhere. The words he uttered were so raw that I am sure he's never said anything like that before and that scares me. With his experience in this and my lack thereof, neither one of us exactly knows what this is; we just have to figure it out somehow.

I smiled faintly before grabbing his cold hand into mine, watching as his tensed body relax and said, "You, obviously, have done the whole relationship thing before. I haven't. We don't have to rush into it, no attachment, no labels. Let's just figure it out, ok? We don't have to tell anyone." I assured him.

He only stares at me in disbelief before leaning in and planting his soft lips on my hand that held his, like a seal of approval.

"You are unbelievably patient for someone who has been desperate for a Darcy, you know that right?" He whispered before chuckling and starting the car back up again.

"Hey now, don't ruin it," I said making him chuckle as we headed back to the road. I eased myself into the seat having been assured that at least we are on the same page but of course, there are a few doubts.

After the long drive back to the dorms, we arrived in the darkness. A few college kids roamed the streets, drunk or sober both kind enjoying the first hints of winter. Matteo opened the door for me, reminding me of what had happened and how quickly things changed, butterflies fluttered once again.

We both agreed not to tell anyone, Matteo agreed and so did I. We both wanted this but then, seeing Danica sat by the bed watching as the two of us walk in, the realization of how hard this would be, came to light.

"There you are, I didn't know where you disappeared off to," she jumped up, her hoodie dropping down as she came and hugged me. "Hey, Matteo, where'd you take my girl?" She queried, squinting at him.

I walk to my bed and watched as the cold-hearted Matteo seemed to appear again. I got whiplash from how quick he did that.

"It was just some assignment for our philosophy class," he said and was surprised there was no insult, "if only I didn't have to listen to her speak Aristotle for that long. I was ready to strangle myself." There it is.

Dani placed both her hands on her hips like a mother on guard. She then turns to me with raised brows before shrugging and walking off to her bed as though she believed it.

Matteo mouths an apology as he leaned on the door frame and I almost laughed when Danica caught my eye. Man, this might be harder than I thought.

"Also, you might hate it but while you were gone your mother called," Dani said, opening her laptop as she slid into her blanket.

My face drops at the mention and even Matteo clenched his jaw.

Oh God, if mom and dad found out then they'll kill me.

"Did you answer?" I asked with urgency, going to my desk and finding my phone.

"No, dummy. I would never speak to your psycho of a parent, you know that."

Five missed calls. That's a great start.

"Why don't you just leave if you have big issues with them?" Matteo intervened, popping down on my bed and relaxing like it's his. I'm too caught up and stressed to even actually care.

"Because I physically can't." I insisted, wishing my phone away, "they pay for me to live. I'm dependent on them and they made it that way. I can't do much if I tried."

"So?" He raised a brow and I watched as Dani side-eyed, intrigued by his investment. "You've got friends for a reason, sure they can help."

"Yeah, right. I assure you, being a burden to someone else is not on my bucket list." I scoffed. Turning to my desk, preparing to call back.