Fourteenth Entry - No Least Desire

Start from the beginning

"I am worried. The growing shadows worry me."

"Is this only because Legolas has left so often in the last century? He always returns. He always will."

"Oh do not promise me that." As adamant as I was I softened my tone to something closer to lightheartedness. "No one can promise that they will live forever. Not even us."

"Is that what concerns you then? The growing shadows and the son who continually delves into them, going to places where you cannot protect him?"

"In part, perhaps. I cannot pin it down. I am....unsettled."

"Does Thranduil feel similarly about the darkness?"

"He has his concerns. Many of which he does not share with me because he knows I have them too."

"The two of you are peculiar."

My lips curled like the edges of a drying leaf. "I cannot argue that."

"You know there will always be-"

"Inladris!" I stood immediately and turned at the sound of Legolas's quickened voice. He stood in the doorway behind us, expression grim.

"What is it?"

"Come with me to Father's balcony. Something is happening in Dale and Erebor."

I laid my teacup down on the glass table between me and my friend. "Ceris, I'm sorry. Thank you." I hastened to follow Legolas.

"What is happening?" I asked as I followed him. I saw what effort it took for him to moderate his pace so I, in full skirts, could keep up.

"A dragon has come," he said, voice low. "Dale is burning."

"My gods," I whispered, and took my skirts up another few inches so I could lengthen my stride. As it was I was still not accustomed to running.

Thranduil was already standing on the long stretch of stone before the window in the mountain. The hand clenched around the staff he held was pale, the bones appearing sharper than usual in his tight grip. I laid my hand over his on the staff as Legolas took a place at his other side. Though distantly, we could already see the smoke and flames that engulfed the once-beautiful city of Dale, the city we had helped nourish even after the dwarves added their influence to the city's wealth by populating Erebor. Even when the dwarves had left, we had continued our watch over the humans' city, and even when the dwarves had returned. Thranduil, in many ways, considered it his, as it was under his protection.

I wrenched my aching eyes away from the sight of the gold and brown dragon beating itself against the fortified front doors of Erebor, bordered by statues of the present king's forbears and the dwarves who had originally founded the mining community. I looked sideways up at Thranduil, and my heart wrenched as well. I had never seen his expression cut to such severe lines: fury, loss, calculation, consideration, memory. I knew he had come up against dragons before, and suffered greatly as a result. I tightened the hand I had grasped around his on his staff.

"Father." Legolas need speak only one word for Thranduil to understand. I, who also knew Legolas's heart, also understood.

"No."

"Father, if there is any way we can assist."

"It would take a week to reach Erebor, three days if we wished to do so quickly, and then we would be left facing an insurmountable foe on little to no natural rest. Either way we are destined to defeat."

"Between the dwarves' army and our own-"

Thranduil's head whipped around. "What army, Legolas? What army they have is trapped within that mountain, and soon to be trapped with the dragon as well, if he does not manage to efficiently slaughter them all, as I am sure is one of his prerogatives."