"Some of the best inventions start out being accidents."

"That's only assuming this is permanent," said Snape at once, "-and I shall make sure that it will not be."

"Yes, that would be a pity," agreed Dumbledore after a brief pause. "The loss of your services would be quite a blow to our side. Not to mention your value as a teacher in this school."

"Yes, well the remaining weeks of the holidays should be sufficient for finding a cure," said Snape stiffly, annoyed at himself for flushing slightly at Dumbledore's words. It was as if a steady supply of adrenaline was pumping into his body and making him feel restless and emotionally agitated. He could've sworn he hadn't felt like this when he was a teenager the first time.

"Are you quite all right, Severus?" asked Dumbledore gently, peering with some concern at Snape's rapidly drumming fingers on the bedside table.

"I'm fine," snapped Snape, ceasing the drumming and instead fiddling with a loose thread on the mattress.

Dumbledore raised his eyebrows ever so slightly and looked out of the window with interest.

"You know when I was younger, I found there was nothing more relaxing than spending a sunny day rowing or swimming to get rid of any, ah... excess energy I might have had. It made my concentration and countenance so much more agreeable."

Snape sniffed rudely. "I assure you that I am fine, Headmaster," he ground out. "I am perfectly capable of handling this adolescent body without any meaningless physical exertion."

Dumbledore smiled at the Professor's precise words coming from a sulky boy's mouth. "Well, I wish you good luck in your endeavours and look forward to having my Potions Master back before the start of the school term."

As Dumbledore got up to leave, a slightly harassed look came over Snape's face. "Er... Headmaster... If, by any chance, I somehow don't -" he began.

"Then you must continue to work on it throughout the year," cut in Dumbledore genially.

"But the students -"

"You can act as a student yourself," said Dumbledore smoothly. "We have quite a few on exchange this year, you know. No one has to know who you really are."

"But -"

"We'll say that you are Professor Snape's nephew, and he has gone away for a while, leaving you (who is honourably named after his uncle) to start school at Hogwarts."

"Who will -"

"I will teach Potions in the meantime."

"But-you-can't-expect-me-to-do-this!" Snape burst out angrily in one breath, before he could get interrupted again.

Dumbledore looked at him mildly. "Now, Severus, it will give you time to catch up on your childhood. Besides, I have absolute faith in your potion making abilities and I'm certain you'll find the cure within a few weeks anyway."

But the more Snape thought about finding a cure, the more difficult he thought it would be. Polyjuice Potion in the least took a month to brew.

"Oh and Severus... I'm afraid some of the staff already know about your current predicament," said Dumbledore offhandedly, though not quite meeting his eyes. "Minerva was here earlier and seemed to find your situation... er... slightly amusing and brought back the other Heads to er... that is... they found it slightly amusing also."