Failure

This is the tale of an unfortunate girl who lived in Ancient Greece. From a very young age, Chamele carried the blessing of Aphrodite, the goddess of love and attraction. Her face had no defining features because each man she encountered saw only what was beautiful in their eyes. One day, as she was walking through the markets of Corinth, she saw a young man who also carried the blessing of Aphrodite. For Chamele it was love at first sight. His name was Zebes.

"Hello!" Chamele called to the young man. "How do you fair this fine day?"

"The sun is strong," said Zebes. "Lord Apollo must be in a good mood. The sun warms my back, so I am content."

"Indeed, the day is bright, but the sun is darkened in my eyes," said Chamele, batting the eyelashes that framed her ever color-changing eyes.

Zebes' voice dripped with concern."And why might that be?"

"I have no one to comfort me or be my companion," Chamele moaned, confident her gifts of persuasion and attraction would entice the young man.

"Well... I hope you find the one you seek," said Zebes. "Good day my lady. Do not fall too far into despair in your search." With that, Zebes turned away and strolled down the street enjoying the sunlight.

I do not understand, thought Chamele, my beauty has always entranced the men I meet. Why did he not fall to his knees, begging to be my companion?

For you see, she had grown proud and vain in her beauty. She was confident that she was indeed the most beautiful mortal of all. Confident she remained the most beautiful mortal of all, Chamele confessed her failure to entice Zebes to the other women of Corinth.

"I do not understand! I have succeeded in seducing even Zeus himself, yet I could not do the same to a simple mortal man..." Chamele continued in this manner for a time, even accusing the goddess Aphrodite of withdrawing some of her gift.

While Chamile complained about her failure, Zebes was on Mount Olympus with the goddess Aphrodite... but he was not Zebes.

A/N This is so awkward. I'm working on editing some of my chapters a bit, and... I wrote this story when I was thirteen for a school project then didn't touch it until this year. Let's just say, I never realized how... sexual this story sounded. So, I'm sorry.