'Meeting on Diwali?' Mamiji asked suspiciously.

'There is no Diwali in the US Mamiji,' Anjali supplied gleefully.

A little later, as Khushi stood in the kitchen making sure the snacks for the evening was ready to be served, she heard someone come into the kitchen. She knew it had to be Arnav.

'If you expect me to Thank you for little stunt you pulled out there, you can forget it.'

'Why not? It was no thanks to your kiss-ass almost fiancé.'

'Don't say that!' Khushi's khol-lined almond eyes flashed at him in anger.

'Kiss-ass or almost fiancé ? What are you objecting to?' His smirk was beginning to irritate her.

'Will you just leave me alone? I don't need your help. I am perfectly capable of handling my own issues.'

'Fine!' He walked away leaving he all alone in the kitchen.

Tears welled up in Khushi's eyes as she quietly put the snacks into plates. Earlier in the evening, as she had finished dressing and looked herself in the mirror she had been shocked to see that she had worn the same saree she had worn five years ago. She knew that she had unconsciously dressed for Arnav. When she had come down the stairs, she had sought him out in the crowd, her heart beating its erratic dhak-dhak when she found him looking at her with those mesmerizing brown eyes.

No one could look more handsome than him in a chocolate brown shirt and dark blue denim. The shirt fit taut on his wide shoulders and muscular chest while two of the buttons were undone to reveal a wee bit of his chest hair. His hair was still brushed back but some errant locks had fallen over his forehead making her want to run her hand through his thick tresses. Then NK had come into focus with his hand extended toward her bringing her out of her day dream. Reality had set in.

She was supposed to be dressing for NK and not for Arnav. She was going to marry NK -- not Arnav.

Just because NK had been completely caught up with work in the past few days, it didn't mean she could forget that he was the one she was going to marry. The last few days she had spent with Arnav had completely thrown her off balance. It just wouldn't do.

Khushi spent the next hour making sure the Malhotra's were comfortable as per NK's request. He told her that Vishal Malhotra had most likely made a decision regarding who he was going to appoint to head the project and he was extremely nervous. But however much she tried, Ria had made it a point to join Lavanya in ignoring her.

Finally at dinner, Vishal Malhotra made the big announcement that the post belonged to NK as Arnav had turned down the offer. Then he looked at Arnav. 'I hope you will still help us as an external consultant if there is a need Arnav.'

'Of course Vishal uncle.' Arnav replied his mood a little sombre.

'So NK,' Mrs Malhotra said looking at him. 'Now that you have your promotion, when is the wedding going to be?'

'Mama please!' Ria admonished.

'That's alright Ria,' Mamiji said giving an artificial smile, 'Akash is well on his way to recovery. I don't think the wedding date is too far.'

Amidst congratulations and applause, Khushi heart began to hurt like someone was squeezing it. She sensed Arnav eyes on her but refused to look at him, afraid he would be able to see what she was feeling right now.

She stepped out into the garden for a breath of fresh air when NK came up to her.

'Khushi, I am sorry I haven't been able to spend time with you. But it all paid off, don't you see?' he exclaimed. 'Finally I have got what I wanted Khushi! I really worked hard for this.'