She continued. 'After Arnav entered his teens we began bonding with each other and had lot of fun together until he went away to do his engineering in Manipal.'

'It was around the same time I decided to do my Master's program in University of Lucknow. After that I continued to work there while I pursued my Phd. I came home only during holidays but I was happy in my world. I had even decided never to get married.' She chuckled.

'What?' Khushi was aghast. 'Why Di?'

'It was just not Arnav. I didn't believe in relationships either. But when Akash's wedding came up mom began to pester me to get married. I kept stalling. But soon after Akash and Payal's wedding, Nanaji passed away and Mamaji and she had a big fight. So she decided to leave the house -- to go and live with Arnav. But then, she was stuck with the responsibility of an unmarried daughter – me.'

'Di --'

'I assured her that I would be absolutely fine as I was independent but she wouldn't listen. She said she had never asked me anything in her life but I would have to listen to her this time. I was guilty. I agreed to get married to the boy she chose for me.

'My wedding to Shyam was a whirlwind one. We had a registered marriage. Why would we need a grand wedding anyway?' She said sadly. 'There was no one to attend it. Not even you. You had just left from our lives just the way you arrived. Why Khushi?'

'Di, you know why I left.'

'I know what Nani told me. That you wanted to go to Mumbai for your higher education in dance, while you pursued your basic Bachelor's degree. And mom had agreed to sponsor.'

'It was a great opportunity Di.' Khushi's voice faltered.

'You know Khushi,' Anjali said looking at her seriously, 'Nani and I had always thought that you would end up ---' Anjali hesitated for just a moment --- 'in Delhi.'

'I wanted nothing more than to stay back. But when opportunity knocks on your door ----' She couldn't continue.

'It was a stressful time for all of us,' Anjali said. 'Arnav had been completely closed off during that time. He had become completely unapproachable.

'And then, he and mom left for the United States leaving me behind, Anjali said coming back to the original topic. 'We visited each other every year but it was never the same.'

'How did you reconnect with your father?'

'Couple of years ago, dad's brother came to us after dad got into legal trouble with his tenant. Shyam helped him get out of a case but dad had to be admitted to a psychiatric facility as part of a compromise. I admitted him in Ashray, the place where I work.

'I visit him almost in a professional capacity rather than a daughter because he lives in his own world. It is not that he doesn't recognize me. But the ailment has taken over him to such an extent that he no longer cares. In the last few months his health has deteriorated. This is common amongst patients who live in facilities like this. Not having anyone to care for them emotionally, they lose the will to live.

'I only wanted Arnav to come and visit him once before ----' She couldn't bring herself to say it. 'you never know Khushi.'

Khushi couldn't talk due a lump in her throat. Her heart went out to the four people who had been tormented by circumstances. Then Khushi said, 'Di, everything will be alright.'

An hour later, Khushi got a call from Arnav asking her if they were done with their shopping.

'My meeting got cancelled,' he explained when he met them at their meeting spot and Khushi tried hard to repress the tiny smile that stole into her lips. She knew he would come.