You grow anxious when you hear his serious tone. Whatever he plans to say will most likely be something you don't want to hear. At that moment the first firework explodes into the night sky. The warm colors dimly light up Akaashi's face. Your words are stuck in your throat and Akaashi continues on with the conversation despite you not wanting to hear anything he plans to say. "You don't have to pretend to be my girlfriend anymore."

Your eyes slowly widen from his words.

Did you hear him correctly?

The loud fireworks drown out your thoughts. "But, why? Did I do something wrong Keiji?" Your brows furrow up and a panicked expression grows on your face. Akaashi knits his brows together, biting his bottom lip. "You did nothing wrong. I just can't keep this act up."

"You're lying." You blurt out. "You're ending things to save yourself, right? Are you going to be selfish to the very end Keiji?" Your words fumble out all at once. The tightness of your chest makes it hard for you to breath when you look at him with glossed over eyes.

"Selfish?" Akaashi repeats your words, scoffing. "You should've expected this Y/N. The whole reason we did this is because of my selfish request. Why are you surprised?"

No. That's not what he wanted to say.

Akaashi watches Y/N's panicked expression change into a still one. She runs her fingers through her hair, nodding slowly. A weak smile on her face as she softly giggles.

"Right. How could I forget?" You murmur. "You're the emotionless setter every girls heart throbs for." Akaashi eyes Y/N silently, he doesn't hear her next sentence when an explosion of fireworks reverberate the air. "And I became one of those girls too." Biting your bottom lip, you look up to Akaashi's face. "So, are we breaking up?" The words pain you in the chest. "There's no other reason for this break up is there Keiji?" You search his eyes for the real answer but he stays adamant.

"No, there's no other reason. I'm just tired of pretending." He speaks curtly, hiding his clench fists in his pants pocket.

Your heart sinks when you hear his answer. "Alright. Would you like me to ignore you from now on then? Since this is all business. We aren't really friends, right?" Your strength starts to chip away the longer you look at Akaashi. He grows quiet from your questions.

"Yeah." Is the only word he can muster. His single answer breaks your defenses. The tears run down your face.

"Even to the very end, you're being selfish Keiji. Will you not smile for me? Or laugh? Or cry? Are you truly that headstrong about hiding your emotions?" The words tremble from your lips. You didn't care how ugly you may look right now as you cry and whine.

Akaashi lowers his eyes, not wanting to see Y/N's crying face. His heart begins to shatter as he keeps his emotions to himself.

Reaching into your bag, you pull out a bear mask you bought earlier with the thoughts of Akaashi. You raise the mask towards him, covering his face entirely. His eyes stare at you from the mask. "I hope one day you'll find someone who you'll feel comfortable enough to remove this 'mask' of yours. Bye Keiji." You lower your hand from the mask when Akaashi holds onto it. You stare at his eyes for a brief second, feeling your heart waver and break all at once. Biting your bottom lip, the tears trickle down your cheeks. You quickly leave Akaashi, running away from the rooftop.

Haru and Zico catches sight of Y/N, the two hurrying after her. Akaashi hears the sound of the rooftop door slamming and he falls onto his knees. Bokuto and Konoha hurry over to his side, crouching down.

"Akaashi, what happened?!" Bokuto shouts.

Akaashi lowers the mask from his face. His tears fall onto the concrete and he wears a deep frown.

What is this? Are these his tears?

"Akaashi..." Konoha frowns when he sees Akaashi's body tremble.

He silently cries, feeling his heart rip into two.

"I broke up with her." He finally forms the words to answer Bokuto. Bokuto knits his brows together, confused by his statement. "But why? You like her don't you Akaashi? Why did you do that?"

"Because I'm...scared." Akaashi aches out, clutching tightly onto his heart. "I'M SCARED." He uncharacteristically shouts out loud, the tears sting against his hot skin.