28: "I guess some people never learn."

Start from the beginning

Once back in the open, I begin walking to the Three Broomsticks, determined to prove to Sirius that I'm not scared and can go meet our friends despite the trauma. Before I can take more than four steps, however, Sirius pulls me back to him, shaking his head.

"We're not going in there."

"But everyone will—"

"I know," he says, beginning to walk in the opposite direction, "I have another place in mind."

I raise an eyebrow, feeling almost relieved that I don't have to go back to the place where the Cruciatus Curse was used on me. Instead, I follow Sirius down the main strip and around a few other roads, to a part of Hogsmeade I've never been before. We eventually come to an run-down, clearly abandoned building that seems to have previously been a club of some sorts. I frown, but Sirius wastes no time in wrenching open the locked door, causing a shower of dust to rain down on us, and entering. I hesitantly follow him inside, and look around. The place looks like it must've been active maybe in the 1940's, with a stage and a banner hanging along the back wall that reads 'Josie's Jazz Bar' in large red lettering. A bunch of round tables sit around, all of them with a thick film of dust and a rickety look.

"Charming," I mutter dryly, running my finger along the surface of one of the tables and blowing the dust at Sirius with a small smile on my face. He rolls his eyes, though it's hard to see considering how dark and dingy it is. I notice a putrid smell, like a rotten orange or milk that's gone sour, "is this where you take your victims before you kill them? Is that smell their rotting bodies?"

He gives me a look before suddenly bringing out his wand and tapping a box attached to the wall. Right away, everything changes. The chandelier above us illuminates, casting a warm glow over everything. The banner, though fabric, lights up a bright red, and the candles on each table spark to life. I can hear music playing, though from where I'm not sure; it's an old song, one I barely recognize from when my mother still lived with me. After taking a moment to admire everything, I look at Sirius as he waggles his eyebrows, provoking me to roll my eyes.

"If you think I'm going to dance with you, you're poorly mistaken."

But he's already walking towards me, doing a strange little shuffle as he does and grinning widely.

"I'm serious," I say warningly, and he only grins wider.

"Actually, that's me," he quips, grabbing my hands and beginning to sway. I remain rooted to the spot, even as he spins around me and pulls me to his chest.

"It's—" I say as he extends his arm so I go flying out, "—not—" he spins me twice, "—gonna—" he dips me low, holding me steady and leaning over me.

". . . Happen," I say quietly, for his eyes are flickering to my lips and I'm left frozen, all of Marlene's tips slipping from my mind. Play hard to get. Tease him. Touch him unnecessarily but make it casual and don't look at him after.

It's a lot to remember, making it easy to forget. I'm about to let my eyes flutter closed when the door smashes open and a hectic, scraggly-haired man enters, looking livid.

His eyes scan the place until they rest on me and Sirius as we straighten up, his arms still wrapped around me.

"Kids! In my club!" The man shouts in rage, pulling out his wand and pointing it at us, "Breaking into my property! I'll have your heads!"

"Do you have a plan?" I mutter lowly to Sirius as the man comes closer, but obviously the boy next to me hasn't thought this through.

"Follow my lead," he still says in a business-like way, then proceeding to gasp and point behind the man, "Look out!"