17.

Hi everyone, this is chapter 17, or 16.2. It carries on straight after the last chapter. I hope you're ready for lots of Mason and Heidi/Sophie all at once ;) Please vote, comment and add to your reading lists! Don't be a silent reader, if you're enjoying it let me know! 900 reads is a lot to me so thankyou so much everyone!

-H xx

As soon as we stepped foot over the threshold and into the restaurant, the delicious smell of pizza and garlic flew through my nostrils and I licked my lips, instantly salivating at the thought of some beautiful pasta or mouthwatering pizza. My stomach grumbled and I clutched it, trying to muffle the noise.

"Hungry?" Mason chuckled, as my cheeks grew as scarlet as the bold, golden-trimmed tablecloths.

"Yes," I admitted, "This place smells heavenly."

Mason agreed with me, just as a waiter appeared. His face was flushed and I could see droplets of sweat appearing on his brow. He looked young, barely eighteen, with adolscent spots of acne dotting across his face.

"M-M-Mr. Stone," He greeted, his hands shaking slightly as he held onto the menus with a iron-clad grip, turning his knuckles a pale white. "I have your usual table prepared." He gestured for Mason to follow him, his eyes never drifting towards me for even a second.

"Thankyou," Mason replied, "Where is Nathaniel tonight?"

The boy licked his chapped lips, "He's taken the day sick Sir. This is my first week, he told me to expect you."

"It's no problem," Mason said kindly, as we arrived at our table. "Please can you send a bottle of house wine and two glasses?"

The boy nodded and I was sure to catch a glimpse of relief in his face as he scuttled away. Mason pulled my chair out and I gratefully accepted, having never been on a date where a man was an actual gentleman. Paying for a ninety-nine pence cheeseburger and eating it in his crappy Corsa was not my idea of a romantic date. Still, at fifteen, I was just enamoured with the fact that he had a car. Shaking my head, I looked up at Mason who was perusing the menu in front of him, strands of his hair falling in front of his eyes.

Christ, I thought, the Lord must really be feeling guilty for all the shit I've been through.

"So," I cleared my throat, "Why did that kid look scared shitless of you?"

Mason looked up with a surprised expression, as though he wasn't expecting me to speak so suddenly. He folded his hands together on top of his menu and blew upwards at the strands of hair on his face.

Good grief, that was attractive.

Where were these thoughts coming from? I had banished all lewd thoughts from my brain years ago, refusing to allow myself to think of men in a positive or sexual manner. Men were supposed to be off the cards.

Supposed to be.

"Myself and my family spend quite a bit of money in here and my father is friendly with Nathaniel, the manager. I'm not sure what Nathaniel told him, but he reeked of fear," Mason snorted.

I furrowed my brows slightly, how could you smell fear? Mason seemed to notice my confusion, as panic dotted across his features for just a moment. Just as I was about to ask, the sweaty waiter reappeared, carrying a bottle of red wine and two glasses. He set them down, making an awkward clinking sound and I grimaced slightly.

"Would you like me to pour?" He asked, trembling slightly.

Luckily, Mason caught my expression of 'definitely not' and took the wine from his outstretched hands.